News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any tricks to get the rear shocks to slide on the stud?

Started by WH23G3G, July 07, 2013, 11:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I'm trying to replace the rear shocks on my 65 Valiant. I got them off but can't get the new ones on. They are the same kind as taken off. When I tried to slide the shock on the stud of course the one hard to get at, the top, it gets stuck halfway on. I guess that's where the rubber bushing pressed in the shock gets smaller. I tried blasting the inside of the bushing with wd-40 and the stud. But I could only get it halfway on. I tried putting some lithium grease inside the bushing but the same results. I cleaned the stud and checked for burrs but found nothing. Even when I get the bottom shock eyelet on the bushing is too stiff to get the nut on the threads. Is there a trick to getting these to slide on easily. I gave up. Maybe some other kind of grease to help get it on?

Fred

You need to measure both the old and the new bushings with a calliper. There could be a difference.
If they're the same, the new has got to go on. Try using a rubber mallet.   :Twocents:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I ran into that problem when installing my Bilstein's in the rear....the lower bushing diameter was just a tad too small.....ran a larger drill bit through it to open up the bushing a bit.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dino

You may want to heat up the bushing a bit.  If a torch makes you nervous then dunk the bushing in boiling water for a while and try again.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

WHITE AND RED 69

Had the same problem installing my Hotchkis/Fox shocks. I didn't want to remove any material so I used a large C-clamp, grease, and a socket and it slid right on. 
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

John_Kunkel

Mix up a soap/water solution and dunk the end of the shock in it and swab some on the stud.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

WH23G3G

I tried the other side because they're going to have to be replaced anyway. I was able to get it on about the same and then I found a socket that was the same size as the metal eyelet part of the shock and I hammered it down. It did go further down but not all the way enough to get the nut on. I was looking at some NOS Mopar shocks on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-65-66-67-68-69-NOS-MoPar-REAR-SHOCKS-Valiant-Signet-Barracuda-Dart-Lancer-/140851673187?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cb69f863&vxp=mtr#ht_1094wt_1043
I have the Gabriel Guardian 81469 shocks that say they fit 60-76 Valiants. I can tell by just looking the inner size of that bushing from the link is noticeably bigger than these Gabriel's I got. I called Gabriel tech line and they said that was the largest size eyelet bushing they got, like 11/16 I think. But they just do not go on. I don't remember having nearly this much trouble sliding on my Gabriel shocks on my 73 Charger and it was the same setup. I like the c-clamp idea and socket I just don't know if there will be enough clearance especially on the driver's side where the exhaust pipe is but I'll try. If I have to drill the bushing open more is there a certain drill size to use or proper way to do it?

WH23G3G

I went to Summit Monday night this week for the car show and I bought the Monroe-Matic 31131's and I went to put them on today. It took less than 15mins and they were bolted on. The Gabriel 81469's were incorrect no matter what the catalog said. I'm going to return them.

Cooter

WD-40 and a hammer like you were doing. Some of the shocks we get in the shop are like this, and have to be 'persuaded' on.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"