News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front end

Started by flathead1946, May 14, 2013, 07:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flathead1946

I am rebuilding the front brakes on a 1968 charger (Drum). When I removed the backing plate the upper and lower control arms seperated. i have no engine in the car. I've placed a jack under the lower arm in an attempt to close them but it just raises the car. Any tricks to putting it back together? Thanks in advance

green69rt

I don't understand your situation.  taking the backing plate off should not allow the arms to separate.   They are still attached to the spindle.   A jack under the lower CA will lift the car unless you back off the torsion bar adjusting bolt, especially with the engine out.  Here's a pic of a my car sowing the two CA's and the spindle. no backing plate.

charger Downunder

You may have to unwind the lower torsion bar height adjusting bolt on the side you are working on.
[/quote]

Hard Charger

back off the torsion bar adjuster.

flathead1946

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. I need to close the distance between the lower control arm and the bottom two bolt holes on the spindle. see fingers. thanks again

hemi68charger

Quote from: flathead1946 on May 16, 2013, 10:04:16 AM
Here is a picture of what I am talking about. I need to close the distance between the lower control arm and the bottom two bolt holes on the spindle. see fingers. thanks again

Grab the end of the ball joint and pivot it so the far hole lines up and slide a bolt in. Then, you will be able to push/pull the ball joint the other direction to align the other hole up... Works every time for me...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

charger Downunder

Place another jack under the lower control arm and jack it up, grab the top ball joint and pull the upper control arm fully down and pivot it around. If still cant get it in pull the torsion bar or back off the adjuster.
[/quote]

green69rt

Again, have you backed the torsion bar adjusting bolt out to take the tension off?  Once that's done the LCA should move right up so you can make the connection.