News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

South Dakota Legislative branches pass anti-abortion law

Started by RD, February 24, 2006, 07:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

Governor plans to sign.  Both sides are loading up in cashola to fund the ensuing court case to be.

How long did you all think it was going to be before a state planned to challenge the Roe v. Wade decision based upon the current conservative majority in the supreme court?

This looks to be a very interesting court case.  As well as, federal government shaking.  Imagine how may protests are going to be held everywhere in the country... wow this is going to get ugly ya know?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11546410/?GT1=7756
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

nh_mopar_fan

I find that most of the chics that are pro-abortion have the looks to insure they will never have to worry about getting pregnant.

Big Lebowski

Here in liberal calif, I piss off my liberal friends when I say...Hold on to your ovaries, Judge Alito's coming to get them.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

golden73

Hmm... whats the point of having a supreme court if all the state courts are just going to have their own cases to get a different verdict, if they aren't satified with the courts ruling...

nh_mopar_fan

That's exactly what will happen if the SC were to reverse Roe V Wade, it would go back to all the states.

RD

Quote from: golden73 on February 24, 2006, 08:01:45 PM
Hmm... whats the point of having a supreme court if all the state courts are just going to have their own cases to get a different verdict, if they aren't satified with the courts ruling...

this was not a state court ruling.  this was a legislative action being brought into state law.  Because of that, this case will be found in a federal court because it will challenge a previous supreme court ruling.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Mike DC

Actually there's more to Roe/Wade than just the abortion thing.

I don't understand all of it, but apparently it also has a lot to do with whether or not patients can be forced to take medications & other medical treatment against their will.  Maybe Abortion needs a separate ruling of its own, apart from the rest of the issues in Roe/Wade.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Roe/Wade gets overturned it will really start uniting the Left half of the country.  The Right may pull off the reversal of the ruling, and then pay for it by losing the next election.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 24, 2006, 08:30:45 PM

If Roe/Wade gets overturned it will really start uniting the Left half of the country.  The Right may pull off the reversal of the ruling, and then pay for it by losing the next election.

Yep. 

A very wise Poly-sci professor once said something to me that made much sense.

The wisest conservatives DO NOT want Roe v. Wade overturned because it gives them a rallying point.  They can light a fire onder their conservative constituency by saying they WANT to get it overturned, but if it does get overturned...what then?  Suddenly one of their major policy points has disappeared.  In the meantime, the left has become galvanized to fight the good fight.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

nh_mopar_fan

Oh, this is going to be a huge pissing contest.

In order for the left to be successful again, they had better find an idea or two. They've been devoid of anything other than "anti" this or that for years now.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on February 24, 2006, 08:40:22 PM

In order for the left to be successful again, they had better find an idea or two. They've been devoid of anything other than "anti" this or that for years now.

And if Roe v. Wade is overturned...they have their idea.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

RD

Quote from: Orange_Crush on February 24, 2006, 08:42:36 PM
Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on February 24, 2006, 08:40:22 PM

And if Roe v. Wade is overturned...they have their idea.

so true.  I think this will be a defining time for the U.S. actually (at least for another 30-40 years).  I find it rather exciting.

nh_mopar_fan

Problem is, the overwhelming majority of voters are not one issue voters. Sure, the far leftwing whackjobs will be mobilized. They have little in common the voters in those red states.

I am a South Dakotant born and raised.  I kinda like what I'm seeing here.  I don't care one way or the other on the abortion deal though.  I've got one leg on each side of that picket fence.  What I like to see is the state asserting it's right to govern itself.  I get so damned sick and tired of the feds telling us what we have to do.  One thing off the top of my head is guns.  I'm 20 and have a state issued concealed weapons permit.  I've had it since I was 18.  The feds say I can't buy a handgun or ammo for it until I'm 21 even though they say it's legal for me to carry it.  I can buy the gun privately and all is well but I have to have my dad or a friend go buy my ammo for me.  

I believe the states should be able to have more control over their own affairs.  If all the folks in New York or California think that everyone needs to wear pink shirts and purple pants that's fine by me but I don't think they should be able to impose their way of thinking on someone else.  If South Dakota thinks that banning abortion is a good thing then so be it, don't bother us.

On the abortion issue.  The reason this bill is going through both houses like it is, is because a huge majority here are supporting it.  Out of SD residents I'm guessing off the top of my head that about 75% support the bill and 20% are against with the remainder undecided.  Most of the resistance is from out of state groups.  

Now I'll get the little lock smiley in and be on my way.  It's civilized now but give it a while.

:dancinglock: :dancinglock: :dancinglock:
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

RD

Quote from: 253862656971 on February 24, 2006, 09:20:48 PM
I am a South Dakotant born and raised.  I kinda like what I'm seeing here.  I don't care one way or the other on the abortion deal though.  I've got one leg on each side of that picket fence.  What I like to see is the state asserting it's right to govern itself.  I get so damned sick and tired of the feds telling us what we have to do.  One thing off the top of my head is guns.  I'm 20 and have a state issued concealed weapons permit.  I've had it since I was 18.  The feds say I can't buy a handgun or ammo for it until I'm 21 even though they say it's legal for me to carry it.  I can buy the gun privately and all is well but I have to have my dad or a friend go buy my ammo for me.  

I believe the states should be able to have more control over their own affairs.  If all the folks in New York or California think that everyone needs to wear pink shirts and purple pants that's fine by me but I don't think they should be able to impose their way of thinking on someone else.  If South Dakota thinks that banning abortion is a good thing then so be it, don't bother us.

On the abortion issue.  The reason this bill is going through both houses like it is, is because a huge majority here are supporting it.  Out of SD residents I'm guessing off the top of my head that about 75% support the bill and 20% are against with the remainder undecided.  Most of the resistance is from out of state groups.  

Now I'll get the little lock smiley in and be on my way.  It's civilized now but give it a while.

well if you could have just not put in your "rootin tootin cowboy, gun loving part" it would have been okay....

lol j/k  but stick to topic at hand.  Tangents ruin good deliberation and discussion.  Whether you like it or not, what you said has opened up the door for others to chime in against your opinion when it comes to gun/ammo control. this thread is not about that, so keep it topic specific okay?  thanks

Ponch ®

from my blog a couple of weeks ago:

QuoteOverturning Roe v. Wade WOULD NOT MAKE ABORTION ILLEGAL IN AMERICA. There. I said it. It would merely leave it up to individual states to set their own guidelines and regulations on it. Sure, some states would make it illegal - but that's why we live in America, not the Soviet Union or China, and you don't need "travel papers" to go from state to the other. Whatever your stance on abortion is (and I'm not going to open up that can of worms - not here anyway), now you know better than to trust whatever you read on Rolling Stone or the LA Weekly. The real significance of Roe v. Wade is not about a medical procedure - it's about the competing philosophies of Judical activism (which Roe is a result of) and Judicial Conservatism.

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bull

State law has always carried more power than federal law. That's the way the constitution has designed it. The only thing the feds can do if they oppose a particular state law is take federal funding away.

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on February 24, 2006, 11:35:05 PM
State law has always carried more power than federal law. That's the way the constitution has designed it. The only thing the feds can do if they oppose a particular state law is take federal funding away.

thats a pretty bold statement to make. The state vs. fed power shifts depending on the times, but the constitution certainly hasn't "designed it" that way. If anything, its the other way around.

The constitution is the supreme law of the land. The court can very well rule that a certain state law is uncostitutional and overrule the state law - whether funding is an issue or not.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

hemihead

Two things from me-
1- I feel that any woman as a free American should do as she wants with her body, it's none of my business.
2-Contrary to what most people were taught in History class,the main cuse of the Civil War was over the right of the southern states to make their own laws.Now , I TOTALLY agree with that the states should have the say in what is best for it's own people and the Feds should butt out.The Feds should only be concerned on certain national issues, and of course,international issues.This is a very dangerous issue.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Ponch ®

Quote from: hemihead on February 24, 2006, 11:54:46 PM
Two things from me-

2-Contrary to what most people were taught in History class,the main cuse of the Civil War was over the right of the southern states to make their own laws.

that is true, tho it was the nature of the laws that they wanted to protect that leads to the common explanation "that most people are taught in history class".

Quote from: RD on February 24, 2006, 10:41:29 PM
Quote from: 253862656971 on February 24, 2006, 09:20:48 PM

well if you could have just not put in your "rootin tootin cowboy, gun loving part" it would have been okay....

lol j/k  but stick to topic at hand.  Tangents ruin good deliberation and discussion.  Whether you like it or not, what you said has opened up the door for others to chime in against your opinion when it comes to gun/ammo control. this thread is not about that, so keep it topic specific okay?  thanks

I wasn't trying to get off topic.  Sorry.  :sick:  I was merely giving an example of where state and federal laws butt heads against each other.  I chose the example because it was the first one that came to my mind and one that I have personal experience with.  I chose to inlcude several specifics in order for the example to make sense.

I won't get into a debate over abortion or gun rights or if red heads are better than blondes.  I was trying to make a point about states rights.  I was trying to make this point with as little typing as possible so it probably didn't come across right.  What can I say?  I'm lazy. haha

When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.