News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

California Hp speeder gitter

Started by ws23rt, April 26, 2013, 06:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

I have had my ears up for many years and have yet to here if it was true that California (or any other state) used 426 hemi powered cars to catch us bad guys. If they did an example would be a great collectable.

Budnicks

maybe in a pursuit/chase car, too much maintenance for everyday cruisers, but the regular California HWY Patrol units were 440ci powered in the pre-1978 days
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

ws23rt

I remember they used the 440s for years with good reason. Maybe what my memory is from are tales we spin that become more that what was.

John_Kunkel

The only Hemi used in the early CHP cars was the '56-'57 Coronet D-500.

The '68-'69 440-powered CHP Polaras would top out at 140 mph and catch anything but, possibly, a Lamboghini, etc.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

68X426

My retired CHP buddies (they turn into real cool guys when they become civilians :coolgleamA:), having served in the 60s and 70s, meaning they were there, assure me a Hemi was never deployed.

CHP had budgets to meet, and the Hemi (64-71) was never in the budget. The department had plenty of 318s, while the 440 was the motor for the big highways.

Rumor is that Nevada had some Hemis, but can't verify.

Early CHP: '64 Polara with a 413.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Cooter

Yeah, we've all heard a story in Mopar Folklore about Police car Hemis....Sorry, none exist. Maybe the "So-called" Gartlits FBI cars, but then again, the Federal Boys got anything they wanted.

Remember Speed freaks, thecops are trained in High Speed situations....Many of the Musclecar croud back then were NOT, and still holds true today. You cannot outrun a Motorolla radio. There ain't a Hemi been built, or car for that matter, that can move at the speed of sound. Sooner or later, you will be cought. You can run, but cannot hide. Just watch "World's Dumbest driver's" if you do not believe.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

flyinlow

I had a "72 Fury Ohio Highway Patrol car. Timing chain went out,got it cheap at an auction. 440/727/3.23 open. Did a good valve job and some tweeking got it in to the high 14's at about 95 mph. Topped out about 130 without the Visabar on the roof.

Was talking to a salesman at the local Dodge dealer and he said most of the new Chargers the OHP where getting where 3.6L. Only a few have the 5.7L   Good for us :naughty:

hatersaurusrex

Forget the horsepower, buying a car with solid lifters for fleet service would be pretty stupid and I bet that mistake didn't get made too often anywhere.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70