News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starting a car after 30+ years. Anything needed, beyond the obvious?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, May 22, 2013, 03:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

So when did you get to own it ?  I wish I could find a neat car like that (hidden from view)

Cooter

Personally, I would only free it up just to make tear down easier. I'd be planning on a Full on Overhaul. Not ness. a REBUILD, but an overhaul.

IE: Hone, Rings, Bearings, Cam/lifters, Gaskets.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ws23rt

Quote from: Cooter on May 23, 2013, 04:58:43 PM
Personally, I would only free it up just to make tear down easier. I'd be planning on a Full on Overhaul. Not ness. a REBUILD, but an overhaul.

This is best. But if it turns over easy and compression is good I would like to start it up and find out if there is life left in it. It could very well run clean and have many miles left in it. If something is very special historically in a case like this than I would go with Cooter and not take any chances.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: ws23rt on May 23, 2013, 05:21:29 PM
Quote from: Cooter on May 23, 2013, 04:58:43 PM

This is best. But if it turns over easy and compression is good I would like to start it up and find out if there is life left in it. It could very well run clean and have many miles left in it. If something is very special historically in a case like this than I would go with Cooter and not take any chances.

It turns over easily.  :2thumbs:

Steve P.

Quote from: NHCharger on May 22, 2013, 08:57:10 PM
I would remove the plugs and squirt some penetrating oil in all the cylinders and let sit over night before attempting to crank the engine.

In a case where you really want to save the motor especially, but really the longer you take spraying the cylinders down, the better. So if you think you can wait 2 weeks to fire it up, pull the plugs and spray away.. In a few days try to turn it by hand and spray it again.. With luck there will be little to no rust and all will work out for the best.

Of course that best way to fire an engine you really want to keep that has been sitting for years and years is to pull it and rebuild it first.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Steve P.

Also, I don't like to put any gas through old lines of filters. I like to pinch off the fuel line and add gas to the carb via the carb vent. It won't run long, but enough to know what you have going on....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Evolution69

Matching numbers 1968 Dodge Charger RT

"Because bad guys always drove Chargers" - Richard Hammond