News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help with my 1970 charger RT project.

Started by bigdsul, March 26, 2024, 07:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I haven't owned as many Chargers as Mark. He does restore his to a higher standard where a LOT more money is spent to get them to a point where they could be national show winners. That level never interested me. I want mine to perform far better than stock and it turns out, focusing on speed and handling costs a LOT less than doing an OEM correct restoration.
When he estimates the cost to restore, he is taking a much deeper view on the work than I do. I'm not one to fuss over correct springs on the parking brake mechanisms or the proper seat upholstery. I go with function and what I like within my budget. People with an eye on greater detail look at these projects in a different way.
I didn't look close at this particular car but in realistic terms (in my opinion) the car is worth a lot more than his offer. That is based on how I see them versus his view.

Daytona R/T SE

Meanwhile,

The shop is adding more $$$ on the bill every day.

I wonder if the owner showed up Monday morning to pull his car out of there, how much would he have to pay before the shop would release it? 

What is the quality of work that has been done by multiple shops?

Did the current shop know what products the previous shops used?

Are the current shop's materials compatible, or is it all going to peel off like a bad toupee' on the trailer ride home?

How many parts have magically "disappeared" ?

:shruggy:

All of these things will have to be considered by the current owner, or Mark, or any other potential buyer.

:scratchchin:

hemi-hampton

All good Questions, I could of possibly helped him but he hasn't been back in here since the day he posted that on the 27th. apparently not to concerned with getting help. why make a post asking for help, then never returning to see if anybody offered help :scratchchin:  :shruggy:  Leon.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 07, 2024, 10:42:48 AMAll good Questions, I could of possibly helped him but he hasn't been back in here since the day he posted that on the 27th. apparently not to concerned with getting help. why make a post asking for help, then never returning to see if anybody offered help :scratchchin:  :shruggy:  Leon.

Maybe Mytur bought it already ?

hemi-hampton

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on April 07, 2024, 02:25:25 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 07, 2024, 10:42:48 AMAll good Questions, I could of possibly helped him but he hasn't been back in here since the day he posted that on the 27th. apparently not to concerned with getting help. why make a post asking for help, then never returning to see if anybody offered help :scratchchin:  :shruggy:  Leon.

Maybe Mytur bought it already ?

No way Jose. Why buy someone else's botched mess at an over-inflated price?

bigdsul

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 26, 2024, 08:23:56 PMI'm confused, is the same guy that was telling you it was ready to paint the same guy that's now telling you it will be 6-8 weeks & $30k for final prep meaning no paint but ready to paint :shruggy:  Leon.

I picked the car up from New Braunfels, Texas, in February of 2023, and another shop local to me in Bakersfield started to work on it in April 2023. That shop spent about 2 months working on it, doing repairs to the hood and getting the gaps on the fenders, hood, doors, and trunk lid dialed in. The car was then primered and sanded, then guide coated and sanded, then another coat of primer done to it. That shop is the shop that told me it was then ready for paint only to say it's 6 to 8 works out and another 30k before paint. So what they want to do is  put the car together making sure everything (motor, trans, body components, windows, trim, mouldings, etc.) fits and the car is able to run and work right. Then take the parts down to the body and paint it. Then after the paint is cured etc. It will be put back together again. Basically, a majority of the parts that go on the car will be touched a minimum of 3 times before the car is done..... well, at least with that shop. That shop wants to build 500k resto mods for clientele that have the funds to burn.

So I basically gave up on the car for a while as I was focusing on my job as a travel nurse at the time and dealing with a terrible relationship at home.

Once I ended the relationship with my ex and found local work and hung up my hat on travel nursing I was able to focus on the car again.

I took out a loan against the house a couple months ago to get the parts needed to finish up the car as I needed it to be prior to getting it back home. I was looking at going over 50k on top of what's already in the car to finish it to have a non numbers matching 1970 Dodge Charger RT with a 440 and 3 speed console shift car running Holley EFI complete fuel system and QA1 stage 2 suspension system.

Well 160k spent on a non numbers car didn't agree with me and I looked into doing something more modern than the 440. I have a couple friends in the socal hellcat club that sourced a matching motor and 8 speed transmission and all the components to get it installed and running. So that's the direction I'm going now. I pulled off the older QA1 suspension, wheels and tires, and brake system. Got a 4 link rear suspension with coil overs. Tubular front suspension with coil overs and rack and pinion steering and motor mounts for the hellcat. Body stiffening kit and transmission tunnel kit from USCT. New 18x8 and 19x10 custom wheels and tires and a new shop that will put it together for 70k. Painted, running and driving with all components of the car done.

I'll be in the car every bit of 200k but I'll have a hellcat swapped restomod vs a stock 440 with some modern upgrades that I was in the hole and upside down on.

I'll have better value and more fun with the car going the hellcat restomod route vs keeping it stockish with a few upgrades.

Sorry for not getting back to the thread sooner I had forgotten about it

bigdsul

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 28, 2024, 10:55:57 PM
Quote from: b5blue on March 27, 2024, 10:14:03 PM:shruggy: IDK but feel for him!

Pretty sure I know what happened here but he was kinda vague? Anyways, Why pay $125 a hour California Prices when you could of paid me 1/3rd of that or $40 a hour Michigan Price :shruggy:  Leon.

I'd be all over that offer for 40 an hour

bigdsul

Quote from: Mike DC on April 02, 2024, 02:10:38 PMCommon story in the hobby.  It's been common for decades. 

- Try like hell to keep peaceful terms with the shop owner.  Although the sit-down meeting (with another body guy present) is a good one.  Deal in facts and keep your frustration under control.  Frustration/anger won't help you at all in this situation.  You don't want a guy working on your car if he is angry at you or isn't happy with the deal.  You won't like the outcome of that. 

- If you think the body shop owner is crooked then you need to change priorities.  Worry about getting your car out of there (in any condition) and get financially dis-entangled from him.     

You may have been financially abused already, but I've heard horror stories that are much worse.  Like, say, the shop refuses to return the car until you go through small claims court, and the owner leaves the primered body sitting outside in the rain until then, and he's selling pieces of it on Ebay . . . crooks are crooks.  They have no limits. 

I will stress again - If he's seriously a crook, then get the car back out of his hands ASAP.  Give him extra cash that you don't owe him, pretend to be a nice pushover, whatever. 

I've remained pretty calm over this whole thing regarding my charger lol.

I've learned a ton of patience from dealing with the original shop out in Texas.

The thing I don't have more of is time.

bigdsul

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 04, 2024, 10:50:14 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 04, 2024, 05:43:10 AM
Quote from: bigdsul on March 26, 2024, 07:13:17 PMI'm in Bakersfield California and I just want the car finished or I want it gone. I've grown tired of the b.s. at this point.

I'll give you 12 grand, cash.

That's a low ball offer, he has over $109k+ into it. after another $30k to prep to paint & how much to paint? $15k maybe? He'll have about $155k into it.  :shruggy:  :slap:  :brickwall:

That's the conundrum I was at. 155k for a non numbers car when I could have got a very nice show car for around half that

WINGMAN

There is a 70 charger RT 440 auto numbers matching green nice car no rust new paint near me in Auburn KS. 75 k.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

bigdsul

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 06, 2024, 02:16:10 PMI haven't owned as many Chargers as Mark. He does restore his to a higher standard where a LOT more money is spent to get them to a point where they could be national show winners. That level never interested me. I want mine to perform far better than stock and it turns out, focusing on speed and handling costs a LOT less than doing an OEM correct restoration.
When he estimates the cost to restore, he is taking a much deeper view on the work than I do. I'm not one to fuss over correct springs on the parking brake mechanisms or the proper seat upholstery. I go with function and what I like within my budget. People with an eye on greater detail look at these projects in a different way.
I didn't look close at this particular car but in realistic terms (in my opinion) the car is worth a lot more than his offer. That is based on how I see them versus his view.

Some people also started collecting and selling these cars decades ago making money on each transaction to be able to get to the national show winning cars. Or have the skills and resources to build a national show winner. I don't have either. I work full-time in the medical field and have a decent assortment of garage tools but not a shops worth of tools to do a restoration of an entire car nor the full skill set needed to take on the task. I can do some engine work, wiring, brakes, etc. But no idea where to start with metal work and fabrication and painting etc.

Marks offer isn't based on anything other than his opinion and that's fine. No offense taken by it either.

bigdsul

Quote from: WINGMAN on September 04, 2024, 11:38:41 AMThere is a 70 charger RT 440 auto numbers matching green nice car no rust new paint near me in Auburn KS. 75 k.

I've seen the posting for it online. It's a nice car for sure

b5blue

hemi-hampton

Quote from: bigdsul on September 04, 2024, 12:53:52 PM
Quote from: WINGMAN on September 04, 2024, 11:38:41 AMThere is a 70 charger RT 440 auto numbers matching green nice car no rust new paint near me in Auburn KS. 75 k.

I've seen the posting for it online. It's a nice car for sure

I had my 1970 R/T #'s matching original paint, original 24k miles & 100% rust free California car for sale in here & elswhere back in 2016 for only $29k. a steal, I was giving it away. I believe you asked about it & was interested in it? :scratchchin:  :shruggy:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 11, 2024, 08:59:57 PMI had my 1970 R/T #'s matching original paint, original 24k miles & 100% rust free California car for sale in here & elswhere back in 2016 for only $29k. a steal, I was giving it away. I believe you asked about it & was interested in it? :scratchchin:  :shruggy:

If you still have it, I'll give you 40 grand cash for it.  :icon_smile_big:

hemi-hampton

The guy that bought it for $29k probably wants $60k for it now. :brickwall:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 15, 2024, 01:59:19 AMThe guy that bought it for $29k probably wants $60k for it now. :brickwall:

And if it was a 68 R/T, he'd want 90 large.

hemi-hampton