News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Missing the fan shroud

Started by Dino, March 20, 2013, 10:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Ever since one of the previous owners swapped the 318 for a 440, this car has been without a fan shroud.  I've never had any issues with overheating, not even stuck in stop and go traffic in summer for about an hour, yet I don't want to push my luck either so should I just go ahead and put a shroud on there?

If yes, do I need any special mounting hardware?  '69 with 26" rad.  Looks like this will fit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-2785434/overview/year/1969/make/dodge/model/charger
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

maxwellwedge

The 69 shroud mounts over studs on the rad with nuts. The 1970 shroud uses screws that screw into a clip on the rad. Don't think they interchange....depends what rad you have.

Dino

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 20, 2013, 10:20:43 AM
The 69 shroud mounts over studs on the rad with nuts. The 1970 shroud uses screws that screw into a clip on the rad. Don't think they interchange....depends what rad you have.

I always assumed it was the original as my fender tag says it came with a 26 but to make sure, I'll swing by the car on Friday and see what kind it is.

maxwellwedge

Cool - Try and get the part number off the rad as well.... :2thumbs:

P.S.

Frank Badalson sells the correct mounting hardware for both styles.....I'm sure Bill A. and others do as well.

P.S.S

The 69 Rad uses 5 mounting nuts that go over studs coming out of the rad..........the 70+ uses 4 mounting screws

ODZKing

Well the shroud is listed in the parts book as 2949130 w/o A/C and 2785434 with A/C.
Mopar Parts Amercia has it in stock which means it is currently available from your dealer as well.
Part Number    P2785434
Part Name    SHROUD FAN
MSRP    $87.60
Core    $0.00
Online Price    $79.14
Same as 318-383 with A/C or police pkg.
http://www.moparpartsamerica.com
If you look at the picture, it is the same as Herb's Parts pic and looks as if it mounts directly to the radiator.  The 22 inch requires a mounting kit, but not that one if it is a 69 - 26 inch radiator.  The number would help.

Dino

Quote from: ODZKing on March 20, 2013, 10:53:16 AM
Well the shroud is listed in the parts book as 2949130 w/o A/C and 2785434 with A/C.
Mopar Parts Amercia has it in stock which means it is currently available from your dealer as well.
Part Number    P2785434
Part Name    SHROUD FAN
MSRP    $87.60
Core    $0.00
Online Price    $79.14
Same as 318-383 with A/C or police pkg.
http://www.moparpartsamerica.com
If you look at the picture, it is the same as Herb's Parts pic and looks as if it mounts directly to the radiator.  The 22 inch requires a mounting kit, but not that one if it is a 69 - 26 inch radiator.  The number would help.

Aha, same as the summit one!  I forgot you could still get these from the dealer.  The summit price is pretty good, especially with free shipping so question now is, do I have the correct radiator?

I'll get pics and numbers asap.

Thanks gents!   :2thumbs:

Cooter

HA! Damn........Funny this thread should pop up right now, as I'm in a heated discussion on another board with another about whether or not in today's driving, one should use a fan shroud. I recommended it should be done with any clutch fan to poperly function by pulling air through the radiator instead of around it. Of course, the other one said they didn't come with one so you do not need one.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ODZKing

IMHO, a fan shround can't hurt.  Unlike putting a clutch on a non A/C car, then it can actually make it run hotter in certain situations.
But a shround also is not a cure-all for cooling issues. It helps but is not a solution.

Dino

Quote from: Cooter on March 20, 2013, 11:22:46 AM
HA! Damn........Funny this thread should pop up right now, as I'm in a heated discussion on another board with another about whether or not in today's driving, one should use a fan shroud. I recommended it should be done with any clutch fan to poperly function by pulling air through the raqdiator instead of around it. Of course, the other one said they didn't come with one so you do not need one.

That's been a heated discussion for quite some time, hence me posing the question as well.  My temp gauge is not crazy accurate but it's very consistent.  I'll be sure to jot down the numbers before and after install and will post the results.

Cooter

Oh I'm not saying a shroud is the CURe for cooling problems, but running any car, even a factory one that didn't come with one today is IMO, stupid. If there is something so slightly trivial as a shroud that clearly helps out there, it's kinda like disc brakes now.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brass

I got a shroud and it helped - but if I had to do it over again, I would not get the plastic one.  (I got mine from Laysons and paid way, way too much for it.) They can warp due to temperature changes and be a pain the ass.    I'd get a metal one.

maxwellwedge

Must have been some kind of re-pop. Never had an original warp.

ODZKing

Quote from: Brass on March 20, 2013, 07:24:34 PM
I got a shroud and it helped - but if I had to do it over again, I would not get the plastic one.  (I got mine from Laysons and paid way, way too much for it.) They can warp due to temperature changes and be a pain the ass.    I'd get a metal one.
There were several batches out there that were made from the incorrect plastic that warped.  I had two from Glen-Ray and after THEY investigated they found that was the case.  All were returned and money refunded.
Not sure where you got yours from but you should check ... they were definately defective.

Dino

I was going to swing by the storage unit tonight to look at the rad number when I realized I probably have a picture of it on my work pc and sure enough!

Looks like this rad may have been yanked with everything else from that squad car.  Number is 3443951.  There's nothing wrong with this radiator and seeing that the entire drivetrain came from a '71 I'm not that bent on getting the correct radiator.  Does anyone know what shroud I need for one of these?

I'll still go check out the car and snap a few pics to see what else I can find out.

tan top

just looked in the 70 -71 parts PDF on line  ,  saying  3443951  

1971  383 motor , 26inch core  automatic & A/C

for P D C     dodge plymouth chrysler ,   asuming  C body  ,  because for coronets , chargers  roadrunners etcetc  were different letters  :shruggy: :popcrn:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=107
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dino

383?  That's weird....so they yank a 440hp, hd 727, rear axle and all of that out of one car but they have the rad from another...

I will look at the parts book and see if I can find a shroud for it.  Thanks TT  :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

Wonder if the 26" fan shroud for a 70-71 fits it....does it list multiple shrouds in the parts book for 26" radiators? If it is the same shroud for a B or E-Body then it will be the type that uses the 4 screws with the clips that mount on the radiator.

Dino

I'm looking at the picture again and the final digit may be a 3 instead of a 1, it's hard to tell but would make sense as that would have been in a 440 equipped cop car.  I'll check tonight.

The matching shroud would be #3443522. 

Dino

Grabbed some shots of the rad, it's a 3443953, not a 3443951 so it must've come from the same car as the drivetrain.  Maybe the original 26" radiator was destroyed, the original condenser was mangled pretty bad and was useless.

Seems to be bolted to the rad support correctly so unless you guys see something horribly wrong with this picture, I'm keeping this rad.  Looks like a need a few more clips to bolt the shroud to as well.

Dino

ODZKing

Yep, that is a 1971 "C" body 26 inch 383/440 rad with A/C.
Just looked up the shrouud for that year w-A/C with 440 - Fury - Monaco/Polara 3443522 as you said before.
THey will most likely look the same but the question is will the mounting holes be the same?   :shruggy:

maxwellwedge

Well - We do know the 69 earlier shroud will not fit. See if you can grab a used 70/71 style and see if it bolts up.

Dino

This can never be straightforward can it?   :lol:

Since this is a 71 rad and the shroud bolts to the rad...it 'should' work.  I'll try to find one for a decent price in case it doesn't but a quick look tells me these are not readily available.

Oh well, at least now I know what to look for.  As always, thank you much my friends.   :2thumbs:

Dino