News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

restomod options

Started by fizz, January 21, 2013, 10:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fizz

While my 70 rt is at the paint shop I need to get my driveline ready. I am building a 500" stroker w/ indy heads. I want to build this car so I can drive it anywhere. First, does anybody have any experience with F&B and their six barrel EFI, it looks like a cool piece. Also am trying to decide between  the original 727 with a gear vendors, which is default shortly as I have to have the floor pan modified before it goes to the paint shop, or a 5 speed manuel conversion. Any advise? Kiesler hasn't been very responsive, neither has hurst, american driveline I can at least get ahold of.

Ghoste

Me personally, I would do the Keisler swap. :Twocents:

Troy

Almost every car I own - or have ever owned is a stick shift. Having said that, I would only go with one of the manual options if you're going to hide it with a console. I hate the stick coming up through the middle of the floor. I though that one was supposed to have a shifter in the stock location but after I saw pictures it still looked odd. The Passon 5-speed fits without any modifications but it's not readily available it seems. With a big stroker motor and manual transmission you'll want to spend money on a rear end and driveshaft as well - especially if you're ever at the track. I use stock 4-speeds and just adjust the rear gear to something livable. With a torquey motor you'll have no problem. My Challenger got just under 16 mpg on one Carlisle trip with a stockish 440 Six Pack.

I like to cruise and spend a lot of time on the highway. The Gearvendors makes sense if that's how you'll use the car. Sitting in show traffic (or any traffic) with a heavy clutch really gets old fast! I believe they'll also bolt to a 4-speed if you want to go that route.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

JB400

Has anyone tried that 5 spd trans that is based off of the 833?  The guy takes a 833 and adds another gear in the tailshaft area.  I forget the name, but saw it in MCG a couple of years ago.

Troy

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 21, 2013, 02:13:46 PM
Has anyone tried that 5 spd trans that is based off of the 833?  The guy takes a 833 and adds another gear in the tailshaft area.  I forget the name, but saw it in MCG a couple of years ago.
Read above. Passon Performance. Except you have it confused. Passon makes an 18 spline 4-speed overdrive "gearset" to retrofit original 833 cases. He also makes a complete 18 spline 5-speed based on the same dimensions as an 833 so it uses all the same parts and bolts right in. It is a unique case though (made of aluminum) so you can't put that gearset in an original case.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

JB400

Thanks for clarifying.  I couldn't remember who made it. :cheers:

Mike DC

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking hard about the Passon OD 4spd gearset for the A-833 case.  

I would actually rather have 4 gears than 5, all else being equal.  I don't see myself ever wanting 6+ gears in any car.  Super-close ratios win races but they aren't always as much fun to drive.   Especially when your engine actually has some low & midrange grunt.  

Gear Vendors OD -

The gear change is only something like 22% reduction.  It's a nice strong item but it won't exactly make a 4.56 rearend gear feel like a 2.94.  Most overdrive options are offering an RPM drop a bit more significant than this one.  

As for the "gear splitting" option, I don't hear many people really using that.  In real world practice the GV setup operates more like an electric switch to change the axle gear, rather than adding another gear to the transmission itself.  

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

58pwrwgn

Molar Action did a write up on installing that 6 speed in their road runner.

1970Moparmann

I put a TKO600 in my 68 with 3.73 gears - I LOVE THE 5th gear on the highway.  Key word is highway.  You have to be going pretty well to get the benefit of the 5th gear, at least with my gear.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!