News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Good thing I didn't get that Cordoba...(Ponch's 69 Satellite thread)

Started by Ponch ®, March 16, 2013, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 28, 2013, 06:57:08 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 28, 2013, 04:20:45 PM
Ponch - gonna be at the Fling bro? 

you know it. working it both days. :2thumbs:

Cool cool - I'll be there somewhere - Probably Saturday...   Sunday judging is just a old man stroke fest anyway.    This should be my last one for a while. 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ponch ®

ooook....so im finally gonna throw down some cash for leaf springs. What are my options? So far I've only seen the Mopar XHD and SS springs. The price is right on either of those, so now I'm just trying to figure out the pros and cons of either of those. Ive had problems with the back tires (275-60-15's) rubbing when I go over bumps or have some extra weight in the back. And now that i finally got rid of the 14" wheels up front, it lost some of the rake it had which I really like. I wanna raise the rear of the car a little (maybe 1-2") and still have a decent ride quality.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

1BAD68

68CoronetRT

I'm running the SS springs and run the same size tire and if the tires are aired down at all I get slight tire rub on the pass side. Aired up they are good to go, and tuck in nicely. This is in a 68 Coronet and seems to be a similar rear end. :yesnod:

Brass

Here is another option:  http://www.springsnthings.com/chrysler-suspension-parts

I'm happy with the springs from ESPO.  I ordered the police-duty 6 leaf springs at stock height and decided the rake was a tad too much and brought it back down with a 1" lowering block.

cudaken

My self, I have been running Gabriel Hijackers for 35 years now on my 68 Road Runner with no problems. I keep them around I think around 35 PSI in them and it gives her just the right rake. Current pair are 25 years old, may be a little older.

Rides the same as the stock HD shocks with none crazy butt jacking up PSI.

http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cudaken/media/Charger%20Site/RunnerracesII_zps813fdef0.jpg.html]

That picture was from the mid 80's. I know, it looks dated now, but back in the day!  :2thumbs:

http://gabriel.com/our-products/car-light-truck-van/hijackers/

By the way Poncho, did you use to go by Mo Jo?

Cuda Ken
I am back

moparstuart

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 06, 2013, 04:27:31 PM
ooook....so im finally gonna throw down some cash for leaf springs. What are my options? So far I've only seen the Mopar XHD and SS springs. The price is right on either of those, so now I'm just trying to figure out the pros and cons of either of those. Ive had problems with the back tires (275-60-15's) rubbing when I go over bumps or have some extra weight in the back. And now that i finally got rid of the 14" wheels up front, it lost some of the rake it had which I really like. I wanna raise the rear of the car a little (maybe 1-2") and still have a decent ride quality.
i love the SS spring  ride height is a little higher then stock , but they look and work fantastic and make a great stance
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ponch ®

Quote from: cudaken on August 06, 2013, 07:35:40 PM

By the way Poncho, did you use to go by Mo Jo?

Cuda Ken

yessir! thatd be me. I can tell an old timer when they remember that...at this point ive gone by Ponch longer than I went by Mojo...

but i digress...thanks for the advise guys. A couple of things I've seen doing my research on the internets, naybe yall can shed some light on them (true/false/no one can agree...)

1) SS leaf springs tend to have a very stiff ride, and the cars sometimes end up "leaning"

2) Air shocks are a no no...something about how the area where the shocks are mounted in b-bodies werent really meant to support the weight of the whole car, so air shocks can do a number on the car.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 06, 2013, 10:42:22 PM
Quote from: cudaken on August 06, 2013, 07:35:40 PM

2) Air shocks are a no no...something about how the area where the shocks are mounted in b-bodies werent really meant to support the weight of the whole car, so air shocks can do a number on the car.

I've had air shocks on dozens of cars.

Never had anything break or crack.

Like Ken said,

You just can't go ape shit with the PSI.

If you just use them to "help" they're great.

If I had your car, Ponch, Mojo, whatever...

I'd put a good pair of airshocks on it,

Bring the pressure up to where it sits just right...

And cruise the ball snot out of it.

:drive:

cudaken

Mo Jo (old habits but I am old) I have been told they help the frame rails by spreading out the support pressure.

They have not hurt my old girl after 35 + years.

Ken
I am back

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 06, 2013, 04:27:31 PM

I like the look of those wheels & tires.   :cheers:

The rubbing might be because of the offset on the wheels since a lot of people run that tire size & don't have that issue. The tires on my Satellite are a size smaller, P255 & there is plenty of room.

An option you might consider is what I did. I had the springs on my car re-arched with an additional leaf added & it raised the back of the car up to where it has that "rake" you're talking about. This was done back in the mid 80's when I lived in NJ & it doesn't appear any different to me today. I did the same thing to my Scamp in the late 80's, but those springs didn't hold the same height & went back to a flat arch in about 2 years.

When I decided to correct that, I talked to a local spring shop here in NY & was told that it simply could've been due to the original metal used back when both were new, or each car saw different conditions throughout the years effecting the metal differently. I ended up having the springs custom made for the Scamp with a much thicker material than stock & also added a leaf. It's a slightly stiffer ride but not like an old truck or anything.

If there is a spring shop near you, why not see if they can re-arch yours, add a leaf & get a quote? Mine were removed, re-arched & reinstalled in less than a day.

Found a couple of pics of the Satellite with the re-arched springs, but the angle isn't so great.   ::)   (Re-arching was under $165 but a long time ago.)

The Scamp with the custom leaf springs.  (Local shop, about $275 & no shipping.)

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ponch ®

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 07, 2013, 08:44:39 AM

The rubbing might be because of the offset on the wheels since a lot of people run that tire size & don't have that issue. The tires on my Satellite are a size smaller, P255 & there is plenty of room.

Im running 15x8 w/ 4" backspacing. Before I bought the wheels/tires I did "extensive research" and from what I read it shouldn't rub. thing is, it gets really bad when I have any extra weight in the trunk or in the backseat - even just two tires, off the wheels. They look and feel like theyre sagging...esp when Im making a turn at any kind of speed, the rear leans/rolls really bad.

QuoteAn option you might consider is what I did. I had the springs on my car re-arched with an additional leaf added & it raised the back of the car up to where it has that "rake" you're talking about....

that was my plan originally. But I had a hard time finding a shop in L.A. that still does that, and the ones I did find quoted me prices that were almost as much as just buying them new from summit or mancini.

you can kinda see how low it sits (using the lip of the wheel as a reference) in this pic...

Old Moparz

I see your dilemma with the lack of shops & prices. It was different for me, there were no aftermarket springs when I needed them & I had a few places to pick from.

Do you know what part of the car actually rubs the tire? Is it the wheel lip, or is it the curved part of the wheel house above the tire? The wheel house sheet metal is rounded, so the curved part of it might be touching the rubber. Sometimes you'll be able to see the spot on the wheel house by the rubbed off paint or under coating. The lip will really chew up the tire & take pieces of it right off. If it's the wheel house than it should be just the height causing the rub & not back spacing.

If there are any major shows/swap meets coming to your area maybe you can pre-order new springs from someone, pick them up at the show & save on the shipping. Shipping on springs ain't cheap. I know Mancini is always at Carlisle & I've picked up parts while there a few times. I got the brand new shackles & u-bolts from them last year.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ponch ®

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 07, 2013, 01:20:27 PM
I see your dilemma with the lack of shops & prices. It was different for me, there were no aftermarket springs when I needed them & I had a few places to pick from.

Do you know what part of the car actually rubs the tire? Is it the wheel lip, or is it the curved part of the wheel house above the tire? The wheel house sheet metal is rounded, so the curved part of it might be touching the rubber. Sometimes you'll be able to see the spot on the wheel house by the rubbed off paint or under coating. The lip will really chew up the tire & take pieces of it right off. If it's the wheel house than it should be just the height causing the rub & not back spacing.

If there are any major shows/swap meets coming to your area maybe you can pre-order new springs from someone, pick them up at the show & save on the shipping. Shipping on springs ain't cheap. I know Mancini is always at Carlisle & I've picked up parts while there a few times. I got the brand new shackles & u-bolts from them last year.

its the wheel housing....I have about 1/2" clearance between the tire and the lip.

I think Im gonna do the XHD springs first because they need to be replaced anyway. If that doesn't solve the problem or raise the car to my satisfaction, I'll try the air shocks.

Lighthorseman

Quote from: 1BAD68 on August 06, 2013, 04:36:54 PM
Get these, end of story...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-LEAF-SPRINGS-66-73-CHARGER-ROADRUNNER-W-3-LIFT-/350472434081?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5199c8f1a1

I put them on my Charger and they ride great, bump the height up a bit and haven't sagged at all in 4 years and made in the USA
I have been looking at those ones, and like what I see.  Looks to me like they're US made, too, not some Chinese junk.  Glad to hear that you haven't had any issues there, Mr. Bad68.  I assume that the 6 leaves provide a stiffer ride?  I hope so, because combined with lifting the butt end a bit, that's exactly what I'm looking for.  Mr. Ponch, if you get these on your car before I do, PLEASE post some pictures!

- Steve -

Ponch ®

With all this talk about the leaf springs, a more pressing matter has come up:

It has developed a pretty bad clunk/popping noise in the front end - coincidentally or not - since I put on the bigger wheels and tires last monday. I drove it around a few times w no problems, but I took it on a "long distance" (45 mi, round trip) freeway drive on saturday and that's when I noticed it getting really bad.

here's what I know/can tell you about it:

-checked the lug nuts w my lug wrench and they are tight. I should probably take it to the shop just to be on the safe side, since they have better tools and all.

-it doesn't do it all the time. its only noticeable at slow speeds, or when taking off from a stop or braking - so either im getting on or off the brakes when it happens the most.

- I feel the brake pedal "pulsate", but it doesn't always happen at same time as the clunk. I could just be gliding and itll do it.

-it gets progressively worse the longer I drive the car. In other words, it takes a while for it to start happening when I take it out.

- alignment may be off - pulls to the right a lot. never noticed it when it still had the 14" wheels/tires on.

-i got under the car with a flashlight...it doesn't appear to be backspacing / clearance issue since I don't see any signs of scuffing or rubbing on the inside of the wheels.

and the piece de resistance in case anyone wants to take a shot at helping me diagnose it...I took this vid last night as I was pulling into my apartment building garage after a relatively short 7-8 mile round trip to my soccer game. Most noticeable about 13 secs in and towards the end.

http://youtu.be/bbzxF62cFMk

bull

It could be a ball joint, bushing or tie rod acting up when the brakes are applied, or maybe the brakes themselves are hanging up. What kind of shape is the front suspension in? If the alignment is off and the suspension is old and worn it might be a good time to buy a rebuild kit and get it done.

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on August 12, 2013, 02:21:50 PM
It could be a ball joint, bushing or tie rod acting up when the brakes are applied, or maybe the brakes themselves are hanging up. What kind of shape is the front suspension in? If the alignment is off and the suspension is old and worn it might be a good time to buy a rebuild kit and get it done.

it feels like the brakes, but won't know for sure til I get it over to the shop, take the wheels off, and look it over. The suspension looks a little worn out...I should look at the service record stash that came with the car and see if there's any clue if any work was done (and when). That being said, it was doing fairly well with the 14" wheels/tires...maybe the bigger stuff over stressed it?

Is PST still the "go to" place for suspension rebuild kits?

Daytona R/T SE

Loose wheel bearing can do all kinds of funky shit.  :brickwall:

Pop off the grease caps on the hubs and check your nuts  :Twocents:

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 12, 2013, 04:01:35 PM

yeah chris wants to check your nuts
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: moparstuart on August 12, 2013, 04:04:58 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 12, 2013, 04:01:35 PM

yeah chris wants to check your nuts

Yep, I'll give 'em a twist with my giant crescent wrench. ;)

Old Moparz

Ponch, do you have a sway bar up front? If so, check the end links & bushings on it.

I had clunking noises coming from an ADDCO bar years ago & ended up removing it. I've since picked up a stock bar & will put that one on.......Some day.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ponch ®

taking it to a shop to get it looked at after work today. Usually my buddy and I work on it ourselves (well, my buddy mostly) but for this kind of thing I don't have the tools, space and perhaps the know how. :P

Ponch ®

I know you guys are dying for an update...turned out the lower control arm and strut rod bushings were shot. Car sat for a good two months til I finally got it over to a buddy who has a shop and he fixed it. Drives much better...tho the realignment required that the torsion bars were raised. With the rear leaf springs being shot, it sits high in the front/low in the back. Not a big fan of that look, so the leaf springs are next on my "to do" list.

Pic from last weekend's CPW Fall Fling

1974dodgecharger

or get torsion bars that lowere your car?  Then it will look even front to back.....