News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Good thing I didn't get that Cordoba...(Ponch's 69 Satellite thread)

Started by Ponch ®, March 16, 2013, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Quote from: moparstuart on March 25, 2013, 11:51:45 AM
Quote from: Ponch ® on March 25, 2013, 11:48:44 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on March 25, 2013, 11:45:22 AM
Quote from: Ponch ® on March 25, 2013, 11:43:11 AM
first hiccup: after driving it around all day on Friday (about 20 miles, maybe), the idle became really rough and the engine feels like its struggling / missing. Car shakes like a crackhead that hasn't had a fix in days.

It sort of came out of nowhere, so I'm not sure whats going on. Going to check the plugs and wires first, but I've also read that it could be the carb running rich or something with the ignition/timing. Is there some sort of troubleshooting order for this? ie. I don't wanna go buy a new carb and then find out its something else.
old gas  :shruggy: fouled out the plugs  ?   

well, the car was (supposedly) a daily driver, so old gas is probably an issue if that's the case. I'd say since I got the car a week and few days ago, I've probably put in a full tank of gas. I put in 91 Octane - it's out of habit, since that's what I run in the '08. Is that a possible cause?
start with plugs thats the cheapest , is it points or electronic  ignition  ?

yeah, I have the plugs coming in tomorrow or wednesday - for some reason I decided it'd be more efficient to order them from Summit when I ordered the correct lugnuts rather than just going to the parts store. If it has an orange box that means its been converted to electronic, right?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

moparstuart

yes so you dont have to worry about new points , you might at least snap the two clips on the dist cap and check if the rotor tip is burnt
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ponch ®

Quote from: moparstuart on March 25, 2013, 11:57:18 AM
yes so you dont have to worry about new points , you might at least snap the two clips on the dist cap and check if the rotor tip is burnt

thanks! I'll take a gander. hopefully its something minor like this and not the engine, you know, getting ready to blow up.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Troy

I had a similar issue with the Mopar electronic ignition when it got hot. After cooling down it was fine. Generally, electrical parts are solid state so they either work or they don't. Not on these old cars unfortunately! It could be something going on with the ballast resistor as well. You probably want spares of both of those things.

Check for vacuum leaks too - especially in the back where the "T" comes out of the intake manifold. I have found in the past that putting all new vacuum lines in has saved me lots of grief.

Do you smell gas? It's possible for the float(s) to stick open which basically flood the car at idle. If you can mash the pedal and make it run fine for a few seconds this may be your problem.

Old cars will pretty much run with air, spark, and fuel. If any of the three are missing or erratic then you have issues - but they are fairly easy to track down (ok, maybe not electrical). The is a good article on basic Mopar troubleshooting by Ehrenberg but I don't have time to look it up right now. I have a printed copy in my garage.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

JB400

A full tune up on it probably wouldn't be that bad of an idea if you have the funds to do it. :Twocents:

Ponch ®

Quote from: Troy on March 25, 2013, 12:10:16 PM
I had a similar issue with the Mopar electronic ignition when it got hot. After cooling down it was fine. Generally, electrical parts are solid state so they either work or they don't. Not on these old cars unfortunately! It could be something going on with the ballast resistor as well. You probably want spares of both of those things.

Check for vacuum leaks too - especially in the back where the "T" comes out of the intake manifold. I have found in the past that putting all new vacuum lines in has saved me lots of grief.

Do you smell gas? It's possible for the float(s) to stick open which basically flood the car at idle. If you can mash the pedal and make it run fine for a few seconds this may be your problem.

Old cars will pretty much run with air, spark, and fuel. If any of the three are missing or erratic then you have issues - but they are fairly easy to track down (ok, maybe not electrical). The is a good article on basic Mopar troubleshooting by Ehrenberg but I don't have time to look it up right now. I have a printed copy in my garage.

Troy

I didn't drive it after I parked it on Friday. My buddy said the same thing about letting it cool down. But then I fired it up yesterday (I have to move it to a different parking spot every other day) and it was still shaking/idling rough. I do smell gas and the carb tends to pop/ backfire a little when I'm first starting it after its been sitting for a day or so. it'll probably need to be replaced as well at some point, I'd just want to track down other issues first.

Ponch ®

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

PocketThunder

Quote from: Ponch ® on March 27, 2013, 09:28:45 PM
THIS.

When you were talking up those wheels last week I was not a fan of them but seeing them on the car...  :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ponch ®

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 27, 2013, 10:43:52 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on March 27, 2013, 09:28:45 PM
THIS.

When you were talking up those wheels last week I was not a fan of them but seeing them on the car...  :2thumbs:

Quote from: TruckDriver on March 27, 2013, 10:42:26 PM
Quote from: nvrbdn on March 27, 2013, 10:07:09 PM
love that look and stance. :2thumbs:

X2  :2thumbs:

Now I just gotta get the fronts ("when" will depend on whether I have to buy a new carb or not). Trying to figure out how to keep that stance but with 15" wheels in the front (right now it has 14s). Running 275/60/15's in the back.

JB400

Good news/ bad news.  I know you probably don't like bad news, so I'll start with the good.  The wheels look :drool5:  I'm considering the same wheels, only silver.  I'm far away from making that decision, but this helps :2thumbs:

Unfortunately, I think your wheel studs are too short for those lugnuts.  That's the bad news.  I was told about 1 1/2 threads showing is about right.  If you don't have that much showing, you risk lugnuts coming loose.  Just something to consider. :Twocents:

Ponch ®

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on March 27, 2013, 10:55:07 PM
Good news/ bad news.  I know you probably don't like bad news, so I'll start with the good.  The wheels look :drool5:  I'm considering the same wheels, only silver.  I'm far away from making that decision, but this helps :2thumbs:

Unfortunately, I think your wheel studs are too short for those lugnuts.  That's the bad news.  I was told about 1 1/2 threads showing is about right.  If you don't have that much showing, you risk lugnuts coming loose.  Just something to consider. :Twocents:

where can i find longer studs?

ok, that sounds wrong... :rotz:

Bob T

Hey, that looks sharp, there's the payoff right there  :2thumbs: I'd go for replacing the plugs, boots and h.t. leads, cap, rotor and associated ign parts so you then get a solid base line to start working with for tuning, works for me
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

TruckDriver

PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JB400

Summit racing has them.  I don't know how long you need or the knurl on the stud.  You might have to measure unless someone else has that info.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/wheels-tires/section/lug-nuts-lug-bolts-locks-studs-washers

Ponch ®

Ponch ®

oooook...so im finally getting around to getting mufflers. any recommendations? They need to be cheap and I want them to be loud and obnoxious (but not glasspack loud and obnoxious). Heard good things about Thrush Turbos and Welded mufflers...

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 24, 2013, 12:51:30 PM
oooook...so im finally getting around to getting mufflers. any recommendations? They need to be cheap and I want them to be loud and obnoxious (but not glasspack loud and obnoxious). Heard good things about Thrush Turbos and Welded mufflers...

I thought you guys liked glasspacks ?   :rofl:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

TruckDriver

I got the Thrush turbo on my truck, and I love the sound. Here is my truck at idol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FkKbyLNpTo&feature=youtu.be

It growls a little when you stand on it, but even then it is not to bad. You hear it going down the road, but it isn't annoying at all.
PETE

Ponch ®

Quote from: Finn on April 24, 2013, 08:09:59 PM
Run what you got, just put electric dumps on.  :icon_smile_cool:

I wanna get those either way, eventually  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 24, 2013, 09:22:37 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on April 24, 2013, 12:51:30 PM

I thought you guys liked glasspacks ?   :rofl:

Quote from: TruckDriver on April 24, 2013, 09:44:48 PM
I got the Thrush turbo on my truck, and I love the sound. Here is my truck at idol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FkKbyLNpTo&feature=youtu.be

It growls a little when you stand on it, but even then it is not to bad. You hear it going down the road, but it isn't annoying at all.

I dig that sound. Whats the diff between Thrush Turbos, Super Turbos, and Welded?

TruckDriver

I don't know if this will help, but, there are sound bites on the first link of each muffler. I have the Thrush Turbo Mufflers (3rd one down). And yes, that it pretty close to how my truck sounds when I stand on it a little.

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/products.html#Turbo

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/pdf/thrush.pdf
PETE

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ponch ®