News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Give me a "duh" on carb floats

Started by billschroeder5842, March 19, 2013, 08:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I did a carb swap a couple of weeks ago. I replaced a Eddy with a Holley 750 Vacuum secondary on my 383. The car ran well but lacked punch.

Yesterday I finally got around to adjusting the float level bring it from the factory spec that was about .75% covering the sight glass to just barely about the bottom of the sight glass.

What a difference that seem to make. The car runs SO much quicker--it is like a completely different car. I can pretty much "light 'M up" anytime I punch it under 35mph with my AT. Feels MUCH better.

So duh...can a float level make THAT much difference?

Anything else I should check? Timing?
Texas Proud!

Cooter

Oh yes, that's the good thing about a Holley Carb....Once you get it dialed in, there's no comparison. Too much fuel will bog as well as too much air.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

oldschool

you can adjust the whole fuel curve, by changing the float level. sounds like you were really rich before. you still might be.......
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

billschroeder5842

So, how does one know if they are rich or lean? I made the adjustment to the bottom level of the site glass per specs......what else should I look for?
Texas Proud!

firefighter3931

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on March 20, 2013, 09:20:31 AM
So, how does one know if they are rich or lean? I made the adjustment to the bottom level of the site glass per specs......what else should I look for?

The plugs will tell you what is going on as far as jetting. A light brown/tan color is what you're looking for.  :scope:

Light grey/white is too lean & dark grey/Charcoal is too rich  :yesnod:

Did you install the 20-7 throttle adapter ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

billschroeder5842

Yes, I have the 20-7 installed....it made it SO much easier.

I'll check the plugs and see whats up.

thanks!
Texas Proud!