News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crate Hemi engines (opinions)

Started by Highbanked Hauler, February 19, 2006, 09:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I might be buying a 70 GTX with no motor,it was a 440 4bbl automatic car.Anyway I am considering going with a Mopar Performance 465 HP. Hemi.I have heard,SECOND HAND that they have problems eating the cam on startup and also crank clearance problems.Has anyone had first hand experience with these motors or is it all BS.  Thanks,  Al
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Ghoste

No personal firsthand but enough personal secondhand to know there is some truth to it.  A couple of guys I know have had some issues with them.  As far as I know, they are supposed to be largely cleared up now.  Both of these guys have bought more than one and each has only had one bad engine and I don't recall them having the same problem.  I'll try and get a hold of them both tomorrow and ask again though.

Highbanked Hauler

Another optiion would be to have an engine built by a performance engine builder and pay the extra.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rocky

Don't they still come with a 90 day warranty?

Chryco Psycho

I would talk to TIM @ FHO , he can probably custom spec a Hemi with better results ofr a similar price
Or I could build you one

Blown70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 20, 2006, 12:17:56 AM
I would talk to TIM @ FHO , he can probably custom spec a Hemi with better results ofr a similar price
Or I could build you one

I would agree,  I spoke to Tim about my supercharge build,  GREAT GUY, and CANNOT BEAT HIS PRICE,  HE DOES THINGS BETTER THAN MA Mopar will.  He can do a "CRATE" motor often cheaper than you could get through Mopar,  and he builds them from what I understand, and betters them :devil:.

www.forhemisonly.com

Tom.

Highbanked Hauler

Great info guys,thanks,I've got to get a sheet together on this thing to see if the cost will be within reason.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

max

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on February 19, 2006, 10:09:04 PM
  Another optiion would be to have an engine built by a performance engine builder and pay the extra.

unless you have the ability or confidence then that would be the only option to go with.
i bought mine one piece at a time and read alot of books and information from others on different boards and built my own and i have been really happy with it.

rare69

unless you really like the big valve covers, you can have a custom built by a professional 496-500 stroker motor with just as much or more power and twice as stout! for the same money.

Troy

Quote from: rare69 on February 20, 2006, 08:29:31 PM
unless you really like the big valve covers, you can have a custom built by a professional 496-500 stroker motor with just as much or more power and twice as stout! for the same money.
Honestly, I hate it when people tell me that. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that since Highbanked Hauler is only looking at the 465 HP Hemi that he's not going for the fastest car around and just wants a Hemi. I personally don't care that a 440 can be built stronger and faster for less money because I already have one of those and I never plan on racing anyone. I really don't care if I can go faster by some other means because 500+ hp is very impractical on a street driven car in the first place. Not picking on you but most anyone who's done their homework on building engines has already figured out the price/performance between the various choices. I really like big valve covers. :P

If you notice, all the guys running (and winning) in the F.A.S.T. classes are running Hemis though... :D

As for the crate motors, the new ones are supposed to be beyond the quality issues. However, I won't take the chance of having to rebuild one a few months after the install. I have not heard any positive news out of a Mopar crate but I haven't heard anything negative either since they just started hitting the shelves again. If you have the money to buy one outright then I'd say to go to FHO and have them build you one instead of MP. It will be stronger, have better parts, will probably be cheaper, and you know it will be built with care. On the other hand, with some creative shopping you can build your own for a whole lot less.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

lilwendal

The problem with the 90 day waranty.  I purchased a crate motor now even though my project will not finish up for several months because of the back order problems.  My 90 day waranty will be over months before the engines ever started.  Called every dealer coast to coast before I found one that had 1 in stock.  Everyone said 6 to 8 weeks maybe longer. I figured if I got it know I wouldn't have to worry later.  I'm planning to go through the engines torques and clearances anyway just to double check.  Boy the costs assotiated with the hemi swap sure add up quick.  To date.
1 engine 13,000.00
B body dana 60  1,200.00
hemi 4 speed with correct gear 1,200.00
torque boxes 300.00
offset power booster 500.00
correct valve covers 350.00
correct inline dual intake 850.00
original cleaner base 300.00
aftermarket cleaner lid 300.00
And still lots more to buy.  I'll easily have 20,000.00 in the driveline before its done.  The good news  is I sold the 2 barrel 383 that came out of the car for 450.00!

firefighter3931

Heck you don't need a stroker to spank a hemi....my "little" 446 outpowers the 472 crate hemi.   :devil:  And it runs on pump gas to boot.  :icon_smile_big:

Troy: The "fast" hemi's are all running stroker cranks and roller cams....hardly resembles a garden variety street hemi. The bigger intake/exhaust ports coupled with a pretty descent exhaust manifold give them the edge over a wedge engine that has to run the factory parts. The "pure stock" hemi and wedge cars are much closer.  :P

I'm not knocking the hemis...they're great motors, just not great value for the initial investment. They also need to be set up properly to get the most out of them.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Troy

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 20, 2006, 10:27:43 PM
Troy: The "fast" hemi's are all running stroker cranks and roller cams....hardly resembles a garden variety street hemi. The bigger intake/exhaust ports coupled with a pretty descent exhaust manifold give them the edge over a wedge engine that has to run the factory parts. The "pure stock" hemi and wedge cars are much closer.  :P
Yeah, I know - which is why I also said that I doubt if he's looking for the fastest car/engine out there. If someone wanted a fast Hemi they'd be looking at a $30k+ Barton or Arruzza instead of in the MP catalog. My point was that not every Hemi is a dog and not everyone wants a 9 second street car. The "wow" factor when opening the hood is what sells crate Hemis faster than they can make them - not really the performance.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Troy on February 20, 2006, 11:18:43 PM
not everyone wants a 9 second street car. The "wow" factor when opening the hood is what sells crate Hemis faster than they can make them - not really the performance.

Troy

Agreed  !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Ghoste

Kind of like why we drive Chargers instead of Swingers or Scamps?

max

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 20, 2006, 10:27:43 PM

Heck you don't need a stroker to spank a hemi....my "little" 446 outpowers the 472 crate hemi.   :devil:  And it runs on pump gas to boot.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

:iagree:

i know what you mean and i also have a 370 cid "X" block W2 small block engine that is putting out somewhere between 650-700 hp  :devil: and has never been started and one of those can be built for around 12k. i have tried to sell this engine for $6000.00 and i have only had a couple of people interested in it.

maybe it's because it doesn't have those wide valve covers is the reason i can't sell it  ::)

you can build anything to make good hp but in the end is it the engine you actually wanted ???

firefighter3931

Quote from: max on February 21, 2006, 01:40:53 PM
i know what you mean and i also have a 370 cid "X" block W2 small block engine that is putting out somewhere between 650-700 hp  :devil: and

Nice engine Max....someone looking for a stout smallblock for an a-body should be all over that....i know i would be.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

max

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 21, 2006, 11:08:35 PM
Quote from: max on February 21, 2006, 01:40:53 PM
i know what you mean and i also have a 370 cid "X" block W2 small block engine that is putting out somewhere between 650-700 hp  :devil: and

Nice engine Max....someone looking for a stout smallblock for an a-body should be all over that....i know i would be.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

yes, it is a good engine and it was built with top of the line parts especially for late 1980's tech when it was built. the heads have been ported and polished along with the intake with a rather large Engle solid roller .660 int 671 exh and a duration of 278/287 @.050 and the rockers are Norris 1.6 ratio.
plus it has a 3.51 billit stroker crank and BME aluminum rods and pistons.

i think the biggest problem why it hasn't sold is, it is too much for the street with those BME rods and pistons and yet there are better racing parts available. so it's a middle of the road engine.

oh well, it makes a nice conversation piece :popcrn:

Chryco Psycho

BME rod would be the reason not to buy it for me , they have a limited life & IO would rather see a Manley steel rod in there

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: Ghoste on February 21, 2006, 05:00:41 AM
Kind of like why we drive Chargers instead of Swingers or Scamps?

Well put Ghoste, never thought of it like that.  :yesnod:

Got me thinking Hemi ......... LOL.  :scratchchin:

A buddy of mine in the local car club had his crate Hemi eat the cam on break-in, like so many others.  But that has been 3-4 years ago now.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."