News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1995 Dodge Radio Problem

Started by Todd Wilson, March 10, 2013, 12:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

The factory Infinity radio in my 95 Dodge Ram is acting up. It thinks it has a tape in it and it doesnt. The tape player used to work fine. I havent used it in a long time. Just the radio only. Came out one day to leave and noticed the tape indicator was lit up.   Now its stuck thinking it has a tape in it  and ejecting produces much noise from the radio.  Any ideas on how to get this to go back into radio mode. I am hoping theres something I can poke or move with a screw driver thru the tape hole but I have had no luck in doing this. Maybe a reset sequence holding several buttons?!?!

Todd

DadsCharger00

Im not familiar with a reset on those.  Best case senario put a tape in it.....eject it. And pray.  If its crap either replace it or let me knoem. Pretty sure I have one in a box somewhere. 

hatersaurusrex

Tapes pick up all kinds of gunk and the heads will pick that up too.   Have you tried an old-school 'cleaning kit' that cleans the tape heads?

Also I had a similar problem on a circa-1991 Ford radio (would put a tape in and it wouldn't GO INTO tape mode) and belive it or not I used one of those walkman kits that has the fake tape that has an audio output.  Put that in there and hit play, and it worked like a charm after that.   You can get one on Amazon literally for like 3 dollars.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

ODZKing

I believe that is the same radio as in my (older) Avenger and 99 Ram.  They ALL did that.  My Avenger did it and the one in my 99 Ram too.
Bad tape sensor switch that sences the end of the tape to make it go in the other direction. Luckily both mine only wouldn't play a tape, you have the whole magilla ... aren't you lucky!
You can either take it out and try to clean and lubricate it or replace it.  Problem is you will have a time trying to find the part as most places that repair car audio won't sell components by themselfs. And chances are the cleaning won't work anyway but it is worth a try.
The only other thing you can do is find when the mini plug is on the circuit board and unplug the tape deck so it doesn't get power. But in your case you still may be stuck with the "I think I have a tape in" mode.
Look like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-SEBRING-DODGE-AVENGER-OEM-AM-FM-CD-TAPE-PLAYER-P0704385AD-/230932475905?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c4a5f001&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-SEBRING-DODGE-AVENGER-OEM-AM-FM-CD-TAPE-PLAYER-P0704385AD-/221198555056?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3AAvenger&hash=item33807617b0&vxp=mtr

Todd Wilson

Quote from: ODZKing on March 10, 2013, 11:20:55 AM
I believe that is the same radio as in my (older) Avenger and 99 Ram.  They ALL did that.  My Avenger did it and the one in my 99 Ram too.
Bad tape sensor switch that sences the end of the tape to make it go in the other direction. Luckily both mine only wouldn't play a tape, you have the whole magilla ... aren't you lucky!
You can either take it out and try to clean and lubricate it or replace it.  Problem is you will have a time trying to find the part as most places that repair car audio won't sell components by themselfs. And chances are the cleaning won't work anyway but it is worth a try.
The only other thing you can do is find when the mini plug is on the circuit board and unplug the tape deck so it doesn't get power. But in your case you still may be stuck with the "I think I have a tape in" mode.
Look like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-SEBRING-DODGE-AVENGER-OEM-AM-FM-CD-TAPE-PLAYER-P0704385AD-/230932475905?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c4a5f001&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-SEBRING-DODGE-AVENGER-OEM-AM-FM-CD-TAPE-PLAYER-P0704385AD-/221198555056?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3AAvenger&hash=item33807617b0&vxp=mtr

I'll check into that stuff.   Yeah those ebay radios are the fancy ones with the cd player! I have tape only! HAHA!  Like I said I havent used the tape player in years. I have the Ipod and radio station cigarette lighter plug to listen to music. I just want the radio. Really odd that I wasnt using the tape when it freaked out.

I'll try some cleaning.............any idea where the tape sensor is?  Left or right?

Todd

ODZKing

The sensor rides against the tape and when it senses tension on the tape, (at the end) it switches direction.
So think tape side of the player, to the left.
In other words f you push a tape in with the playing postion/tape visable on the right/passenger side - left side of the tape - corner.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: ODZKing on March 10, 2013, 03:00:50 PM
The sensor rides against the tape and when it senses tension on the tape, (at the end) it switches direction.
So think tape side of the player, to the left.
In other words f you push a tape in with the playing postion/tape visable on the right/passenger side - left side of the tape - corner.

Thanks for the info. I remember that now that you said something. I'll check into it more.  I tried to get a sacrifice tape into it tonight but it wouldnt go in as the tape mechanism frame is actually in the down position not allowing a tape to go in. I'll see if I can jimmy the sensor later in the week.

Todd

A383Wing

Todd.....you still looking for a radio? I might have one here...no cassette, AM-FM radio only..yours for shipping if ya want. I will be the "flat face" style like Bob's links above but without the CD or cassette in them.

Send me a PM if interested

Bryan