News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 69 Charger SE

Started by bjl69rt, January 16, 2014, 09:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjl69rt

Hey guys,

4th owner of this 69 Charger SE 383BB, Have the original data sheet, warranty books etc and a history of the cars previous owners and even the reciept from when it was repainted to the blue seen in the photos in '77

Car was originally Sunfire Yellow with a Tan vinyl top and tan interior (Yuck)

Has the 3 speed 727 Torqueflite tranny and 135k original miles

Plans are for a fun ground up rebuild ( car is currently down to the bare shell all be it the rear end)

Control Freak front end to replace the torsion bars and K frame and 4 link rear

12.88" Wilwood Brakes all round (6 pot front 4 rear). Originally had power assisted discs on the front a drums on rear

Converting the tan interior to black, white faced gauges, add a console, bucket seats etc

Rebuilding the 383 for now, once in used to driving Left hook and the bank balance improves a little bit ill build a 496 stoker out of it.

Still has original glass, never been wrecked or jumped from what i can gather.

Rust is absolute minimal, have to replace the rear deck panel as everyone does but the quarters, boot, floor and doors are solid as is everything under to car.

Not bad for 15.5k USD worked out to be about 13.8k AUD with the exchange rate at the time.

Cant wait to have it done, car landed in Nov '11, drove it home no carpet, side pipes and all. Love it

JB400

Welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to seeing another one saved :cheers:  Best of luck

:popcrn: :popcrn:

Welcome!  I also have a yellow/tan S.E. 383 that was repainted(black) in the early to mid '70s.  It is my first car in 1980 and now my 15 year old son wants to restore it to a driver.  Do you still have any of the tan interior?  I would be interested in front seat covers if they are worth re-using.

bjl69rt

Quote from: #88 on January 16, 2014, 11:31:00 PM
Welcome!  I also have a yellow/tan S.E. 383 that was repainted(black) in the early to mid '70s.  It is my first car in 1980 and now my 15 year old son wants to restore it to a driver.  Do you still have any of the tan interior?  I would be interested in front seat covers if they are worth re-using.

rear seat cover is perfect, the 2 front seats each have a tear in them, it could be fixable i guess but im no expert. I also have the middle "6th seat" which is in good condition. Have new carpet to, only fitted for a couple weeks if you are interested in that too.

fy469rtse

Bji69rt, that was the quote of the day, I'm no expert,
but after you have restored this car , you will know plenty, good luck with it , keep posting, you get stuck just ask, great bunch of guys on here willing to share their knowledge and experience, get your self a factory service manual, great reference and will help you when your getting advice on here

bjl69rt

Quote from: fy469rtse on January 17, 2014, 05:45:13 AM
Bji69rt, that was the quote of the day, I'm no expert,
but after you have restored this car , you will know plenty, good luck with it , keep posting, you get stuck just ask, great bunch of guys on here willing to share their knowledge and experience, get your self a factory service manual, great reference and will help you when your getting advice on here

I have already learnt so much, ive worked on cars since I was a boy, my grandfather is a mechanic by trade and my father has an interest which helps but ive never gone rull rebuild before. A wiring book, service manual and parts manual were my first purchases. Like most people im learning as I go. The fun part is going to be getting everything to go back together again, especially when im modifying stuff like the new front end, the system needed a little persuasion to fit properly. New parts on a 45 year old car. The best thing I think is having a great stsrting point with the car. Very little rust, grille in mint condition etc. Even just flicking through these forums ive learnt things like torsion bar removal or pulling off certain pain in the arse trim peices. I appreciate the insight you guys offer and the opinions as well. Its what makes car guys car guys!

Ghoste

Welcome to the forum and we all look forward to photos.  :cheers:

bjl69rt

This is where it was up to a couple of weeks ago, now the glass is out of it along with most of the dash. Ignore the crappy spray paint, i was just experimenting with different colours. Also just mocking up the new Control Freak front suspension unit. I will upload more photos or where it started eventually.

TPR

Welcome aboard Brendan. Looks like a solid project. Keep us posted.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

bjl69rt

Just some starting photos

bjl69rt

Just some of the underside. Very very solid car. Only real issue is the rear deck panel! Scored well!

Ghoste