News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know what to look for on these? 1985 Trans Am

Started by TruckDriver, March 06, 2013, 09:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

I'm going to go look at this car, but I'm wondering if anyone might give me tips on what to look for. The owner told me they would let me have it for $1,100, it has been parked since Thanksgiving when her son started driving another car instead. But they never had any major issues with it, changed oil every 3000 miles. Doesn't burn oil, cruise doesn't work, needs the bracket for the headlight motor, and some paint work. Other wise, should be a turn key car.

http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/3567527977.html
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JB400

Make sure the seals around the T tops are good.  Should have a 305 in it I believe from the factory.

moparguy01

I would be looking for something else.  :lol: I hate 305's with a passion. and t tops always leak on those cars.

TruckDriver

I just want it for traveling to work and back. and for longer trips. These get way better gas milage then my truck. And if the tops leak, that can be fixed with new gaskets.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69 OUR/TEA

My Trans Am gets real good gas mileage !!!!! But that's because it's a V6 !!! :icon_smile_big:

WM23N1

The headlights popping up are the main issues. Make sure the hatch fully closes. The dash usually shakes and rattles a lot. Keep an eye on the electric radiator fan motor.
1971 Super Bee 383 "The WM23N1" http://1971-1974dodgecharger.com/

GOTWING

door hinges get weak from the weight of the long doors. These cars ride rough and have a lot of rattles. Good luck. :2thumbs:

hawkeye

for $1100, if it lasts you 6 months, it won't owe you much. 

74bluecharger440

For sure, 1100 bucks get it and do the minor fixes and drive it .

chargd72

What to look for...????    Look for the cause of what makes most owners of this car have a mullet and wearing a sleeveless shirt revealing a snake tattoo.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

gearhead141

Purchased it a couple of years ago for $2k and my paint isn't as nice as yours. My hood bird looks almost exactly as faded and dried out as that one. I have the carbureted 305 with the 700R4 automatic. I had to cobble up an air dam under the nose to get cooling air to the radiator. With no grill these cars are bottom feeders. A new set of tires made a big difference as well. Only the cars that came with the fuel injection have the cooling fans. Mine has the mechanical clutch fan. The carb is an electronic feedback which overall gives very good performance. I get 20mpg combined mileage on regular grade fuel. Because I'm in California, the car has all its original smog equipment. It's not a real barn burner stoplight racer, but rather a very nice cruiser. The cruise control problem could be as simple as a rotted vacuum hose.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Fitz73Chrgr

He's aleady talking himself down.  Go offer him $800. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

TruckDriver

It is a lady that owners it. She bought it for her son as a first car. She bought it from the original owners, who only sold it cause of financial problems. And the original owners never drove it in winter either. So her son, only drove it in 4 winters since 2008, but not this one. She is out of town on a business trip right now til late Sunday. She told me she wont sell it til I decide if I want it or not. She is also going to take a few pics of the floors on it too. The sunroofs do not leak she said, and her son did take them out sometimes too. The car has good tires on it too. They never had any major issues other then a bad motor mount, which was fixed. But when they fix the motor mount, that's when the cruise stopped working on it. So, it does sound like a vacuum line or something simple. Everything else works on it yet. The seats are worn too, but that's no big deal on a 28yo driver.
PETE

BrianShaughnessy

There's kits to fix the headlight motors...  usually the motor is good,  it's a gearbox thing. 
Also be aware of rusted flex front brake hoses that cause one or both front brakes to lock up.
Door hinges...  and with the  T top seals watch out for a rusted T bar once you get the gasket off. 
There's also repro headliners available on a plastic backer that work a lot better than the factory crap.

But... basically they can nickel and dime you to death tho.

I still have my 89 Formula in the garage that I've had for over over 15 years.  Used to be a 305 TPI 5 speed.  Now it's a 350 TPI 6 speed.   It never left the garage last year  :shruggy:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Sublime/Sixpack

Pete, I'd be leery about buying that car. When new that would have been a sharp looking car, and a fun driver. But now? I have a gut feeling it'll be one thing after another that you'll be correcting or repairing. I hope I'm wrong.
And keep in mind (unfortunately) otherwise honest people seem to think it's okay to deceive or even openly lie when it comes to selling a used car.
Check it over carefully, and good luck.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

kab69440

I didn't pay much more than that for a 92 Camaro three years ago. I'm pushing 200k on the original v-6 and 5 speed and haven't done that much to it. It didn't have any brakes when I bought it, so that was a big outlay at the get go for the leaking axle seals and such. The brakes, an alternator and it has lunched 3 rotor buttons. That's pretty much what I've got in it for 40+k of service.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

kab69440

This double post has been a courtesy of the Android Operating System. This is only a test of the owner's patience. I repeat, this was only a test.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

TruckDriver

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on March 08, 2013, 11:32:08 PM
Pete, I'd be leery about buying that car. When new that would have been a sharp looking car, and a fun driver. But now? I have a got feeling it'll be one thing after another that you'll be correcting or repairing. I hope I'm wrong.
And keep in mind (unfortunately) otherwise honest people seem to think it's okay to deceive or even openly lie when it comes to selling a used car.
Check it over carefully, and good luck.

Well, I'm taking a friend with me that knows the F body cars more then I do. BUT, now as of late, I found a few other cars I might look at too.

1978 Olds Cutlass Supreme 2 door is one for $1,100 (I regret selling my parents '80 they bought new)
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/3667673405.html

1980 Formula  for $1,600 and no rust MAYBE.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/3640516582.html I can get a 350 for it cheap.
PETE

JB400

Scrap the Turbo turd unless your gonna replace the engine.  I favor the Olds.  They ride nice and when you wear it out, the stock car guys will buy it.  If you do decide to hop it up some, there are plenty of options.

gearhead141

Last post from you said you were going to go take a look at it. Was it worth the look? Or were one of the other two choices better? I have not been disappointed in my purchase. In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised that the V8 gets such good gas mileage for the age it is. Someone mentioned "nickle and dime you to death" but if that were the case, none of us would buy old cars. That's part of the challenge is getting them back in shape and no matter how you slice it, it is going to cost some money. The F-body cars are well supported by the aftermarket so parts are available. For me, owning a Pontiac when that division has been dissolved was part of the draw. Camaros are still around but there are no more Trans Ams and that gets a conversation going!

TruckDriver

The owners were gone out of town all weekend. Today We talked and this Friday, I'm going to look at the car. She sent me photos of the underside too. Most of the rust proofing is still there . looks good so far.
PETE

TruckDriver

There is a little bit of rust, but nothing in the pictures looks real bad yet. Remember, this car only been through the last 4 winters, not including this one, which its been parked the whole time. And 2 of the 4 winters it's been through, have been mild. And Wisconsin is one of the heaviest salt user states.
PETE

TruckDriver

Well, went and looked at the '85 Trans Am. Was a nice car, yet had more going on mechanically then I wanted to deal with. So, I passed on it. Main thing is it needed a timing chain, and it wouldnt quite run right, and always had problems getting it started even after I test drove it. The trasmission was tight, and you could tell it had a shift kit in it, but the tranny fluid was black! That scared me, I never seen that before. The body and underneath was very solid. Was a fast car though. Oh well...
PETE

1970Moparmann

For the $$, I'm sure it will make a kid a nice project car.

My sister had a 86 and it was a fun car, but a freak'in rattle trap.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 16, 2013, 09:09:23 AM
My sister had a 86 and it was a fun car, but a freak'in rattle trap.

Trans Ams always were and always will be a girl's car....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-iMnsOPPNI&feature=youtu.be

:eek2: :eek2:

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!