News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grounding fuel sending unit

Started by chargd72, February 15, 2013, 09:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

I tested my fuel gauge and sending unit to make sure the both work properly and about to install my new gas tank.  I've read that a lot of people have trouble with getting a good ground to these sending units that just ground to the tank itself.  Would it be a good idea to just weld a post to the outer surface of the sending unit to add an extra grounding wire that can go directly to the chassis?  Obviously I want to do this before any gas goes into the tank so just wondering if it's a good way to ensure propper ground.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

71green go

My Factory sending unit on My charger has a "Clip on grounding tab" that clips to the outlet line on the sensor...and then I can run a ground wire from that to car Body....

ODZKing

I simply got a nice thick wire and soldered ends and grounded to the body.  Well, I made the wire, my wrench installed it.  You'd think since the tank is attached to the body and sender to the tank you wouldn't need it, but anyway.  Strap is nice but no one will ever see it.  Wire works fine.

chargd72

Quote from: 71green go on February 15, 2013, 10:57:33 AM
My Factory sending unit on My charger has a "Clip on grounding tab" that clips to the outlet line on the sensor...and then I can run a ground wire from that to car Body....

My 76 Power wagon has this grounding clip too.  But the Charger doesn't.  That's what welding a "ground post" would emulate.

Quote from: ODZKing on February 15, 2013, 11:09:19 AM
You'd think since the tank is attached to the body and sender to the tank you wouldn't need it, but anyway.  Strap is nice but no one will ever see it.  Wire works fine.

With a tank pad and painted tank support straps there would be minimal metal to metal contact.  That's why I'm thinking additional strapping would be some good insurance.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Moparparts

Usually with new lines and sending unit the factory ground strap that clips on the sender tube and then jumps across the rubber hose to the line side is sufficient ground. They are available right through Mopar new  or if needed i have some nice correct originals depending on the year and model some are different lengths PM me if in you need one

chargd72

Thanks for the advice on this.  Never knew about the grounding clips.  Makes much more sense now.