News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW 4-Speed Parts

Started by Chris 69, March 04, 2013, 04:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris 69

I've been thinking of converting my '68 383 H-code automatic to a 4-speed, and I found parts for sale locally.

1. Any idea what this lot would go for price-wise? It includes a 4-speed trans, bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, pedals, 4-speed floor section. I assume the trans would need to be rebuilt. Apparently, it's out of a 68-70 b-body, but I haven't talked to the guy directly yet.

2. What #'s should I look for on the transmission to know if it would work for my application?

Thank you, Chris

kab69440

Is it an 18 spline or 23 spline? I would guesstimate 1k for a 23 spline package and closer to 2k for an 18 spline. Be sure to ask if the inner fender bracket comes with it. That was repopped years ago, but I haven't seen one lately. Of course I haven't looked for one either.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Chris 69

Quote from: kab69440 on March 04, 2013, 07:47:44 PM
Is it an 18 spline or 23 spline? I would guesstimate 1k for a 23 spline package and closer to 2k for an 18 spline. Be sure to ask if the inner fender bracket comes with it. That was repopped years ago, but I haven't seen one lately. Of course I haven't looked for one either.

Thank you for the reply. He is asking $1500 for everything, but I had no idea what the parts typically go for.

Rolling_Thunder

Middle of the Road prices are as follows

Transmission (23 spline) - $350
Bellhosuing (factory) - $250
Shifter & rods (Hurst) - $150
Clutch Pedal - $250
Clutch Linkage Parts - $150
Floor Hump - $75
Flywheel - $100
Clutch / Pressure Plate - $75

Total - $1400 ---   but the fact you're saving time by getting it all in one place - saves you $100 IMO -

So....     I think it's a decent fair deal
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chris 69

Thank you for the cost breakdown Rolling_Thunder. I ended up buying everything for $1500. The guy also threw in a bunch of chrome window/etc. trim pieces off his '69 since he was going with the "chromeless" look, a '69 gauge cluster, '68 cluster faceplate, a bunch of "Charger" emblems, and dash switches (although not a headlight switch).

He also sold me all of the 4-speed console top plates and trim pieces, for a '69 b-body console (wood-grain inserts), and shifter boot (all in good+ condition) for $100, which seemed like a decent price.

Thank you for the pricing help. I'm sure I'll have many more questions once I start the conversion.

Chris

Cooter

Worth it as long as you are getting the correct parts....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chris 69

Quote from: Cooter on March 05, 2013, 07:12:56 AM
Worth it as long as you are getting the correct parts....

That's a very good point Cooter. When I get home tonight, I'll post the #'s off the trans to get some help to figure out more information. So far, based on my limited knowledge (I have alot to learn) my understanding is it is a B-body trans, I saw "833" stamped in the side and the length of the body is approx. 27.5".

My goal for the '69 parts is to eventually sell or trade them for '68 parts; we'll see how that goes...

Chris

Nacho-RT74

there is an ebay dealer offering full sets for the conversion, refurbished or new.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chris 69

Cooter

Quote from: Chris 69 on March 05, 2013, 10:48:21 AM
That's a very good point Cooter. When I get home tonight, I'll post the #'s off the trans to get some help to figure out more information. So far, based on my limited knowledge (I have alot to learn) my understanding is it is a B-body trans, I saw "833" stamped in the side and the length of the body is approx. 27.5".
My goal for the '69 parts is to eventually sell or trade them for '68 parts; we'll see how that goes...
Chris
Not so much the trans as I believe from the pics it at least will FIT a '66-70 B-body...It's the little things like Size of bellhousing (10.5 or 11"), whether or not you have the correct 10.5 or 11" Flywheel to match, whether or not you have an internally balanced Flywheel, or Externally balanced flywheel (Both 11" ones APPEAR to the naked eye, to be indentical), Z-bars, and brackets to mount the ball on frame/bellhousing, etc.

The big things are easily identified, it's the little things that will piss you off come time to swap everything over.
PS: Why would you swap everything for 1968 parts? All but the console (And I think that's SLIGHTLY different), would pretty much be the same as 1969 parts.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Also, I have bolted in a set of 1966 Pedals into a 1970 car. So they are pretty mcuh the same cages. Very minor differences.
Same with the Trans' the MOUNT on your AUTOMATIC crossmember will need to be cut in the CENTER in order to mount the 4-speed mount. Very minor change. All AUTO AND 4-speed crossmembers will interchange, but as stated the 4-speed has the mount in the CE#NTER of crossmemebr instead of out in the "Cage" on the front. Bellhousings are funny. Some BB housing from like a truck pose a little problem, but nothing that can't be worked out. Mainly it's the position of the ball.

Chris 69

Thank you Cooter. Looks like I need to do more research and start a parts and work item list -- I have never done a conversion like this in any car.

I'll see if there are any part numbers and take measurements on the z-bar, bellhousing, flywheel, etc. that came with the trans.

My previous post was not worded correctly. I would swap only the 69' 4-speed console top plates for '68 top plates, I think the '69 is wood-grain and the '68 has chrome ribs (correct me if I'm wrong). All of the other transmission components would be used in my '68.

All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Chris

AKcharger

You'll LOVE the diffrence, I did my conversion back in Oct, best thing I ever did with my car!

Chris 69

Quote from: AKcharger on March 05, 2013, 01:56:58 PM
You'll LOVE the diffrence, I did my conversion back in Oct, best thing I ever did with my car!

AK - do you have any photos of your conversion? On my car, I will be doing the work myself and any reference photos would be of significant help.

One more question: Did you pull the engine for the conversion, or leave it place and just pull the trans/bellhousing, etc.?

Chris

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Chris 69 on March 05, 2013, 03:33:16 PM
Quote from: AKcharger on March 05, 2013, 01:56:58 PM

AK - do you have any photos of your conversion? On my car, I will be doing the work myself and any reference photos would be of significant help.

One more question: Did you pull the engine for the conversion, or leave it place and just pull the trans/bellhousing, etc.?

Chris
Stickied at the top of the engine/trans section....

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95764.0.html
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chris 69

Thank you for the link. I should have searched before asking the question.

AK - that looks awesome! I can't wait to get going on mine.

Chris

AKcharger

I left the engine in, there's really not a big advantage or time savings by pulling it, let me know if you have any questions.

Get it done before summer so you can drive it, I guarantee it will seem like a completely diffrent (better) car!
:drive:

Cooter

WARNING Chris 69......

Swapping to a 4-speed will cause monies to be spent on a 5-speed later on IMO(Like $5K at least, for kits)...May want to consider maybe doing this in the beginning, as you may only need SOME of those 4-speed parts. MAny here have swapped to a 4-speed and found out later on, they needed an Overdrive....Just FYI.

Chris 69

Hi Cooter - That's a good point to consider. As I look for the other parts for this conversion, I'll assess what direction I really want to go. My boss has told me the same thing as he wants to put a 6-speed in his '66 Chevelle SS.

AK, my new goal to complete before summer = get the swap done; putting in a backyard will have to wait.

Chris

AKcharger

Quote from: Chris 69 on March 06, 2013, 11:05:42 AM

AK, my new goal to complete before summer = get the swap done; putting in a backyard will have to wait.

Chris

Smart!  :2thumbs:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Chris 69 on March 05, 2013, 02:02:53 AM
Thank you for the cost breakdown Rolling_Thunder. I ended up buying everything for $1500. The guy also threw in a bunch of chrome window/etc. trim pieces off his '69 since he was going with the "chromeless" look, a '69 gauge cluster, '68 cluster faceplate, a bunch of "Charger" emblems, and dash switches (although not a headlight switch).

He also sold me all of the 4-speed console top plates and trim pieces, for a '69 b-body console (wood-grain inserts), and shifter boot (all in good+ condition) for $100, which seemed like a decent price.

Thank you for the pricing help. I'm sure I'll have many more questions once I start the conversion.

Chris

I ditched the chrome on my 68 Charger - ended up selling the driprail trim, belt moldings, and other misc trim for almost $500. a 1969 gauge cluster is at least $100 on Ebay - Dash switched are around $50-$100    -----      So it sounds like you got a really good deal.    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

moparstuart

Quote from: Cooter on March 06, 2013, 07:31:52 AM
WARNING Chris 69......

Swapping to a 4-speed will cause monies to be spent on a 5-speed later on IMO(Like $5K at least, for kits)...May want to consider maybe doing this in the beginning, as you may only need SOME of those 4-speed parts. MAny here have swapped to a 4-speed and found out later on, they needed an Overdrive....Just FYI.
I just did a six speed viper tranny swap and have been very frugel with it and am still under 4 k  

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95382.0.html
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Chris 69

Rolling_Thunder - Thank you for the information. I may end up selling some parts I don't use to help offset the cost of the conversion, we'll see. Your #'s are very helpful if I decide to sell some stuff, although having spare parts is never a bad thing.

Stuart - Thank you for the link. That definitely gives me some more options to think about.

Chris