News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cam choices

Started by deathcharger71, February 15, 2006, 01:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathcharger71

im having trouble choosing a cam for my jet boat, heres where im confused....i want a LOT of power between 4000-5500 rpm and it will never make it over 5500 rpm. but i need lots of power to push it over 5000, it takes very little power to get it to 4000 rpm, about 350 hp to get it to 5000 rpm and ever single revolution after that is gonna take some good power. im confused on what cam would make the most power at 5000 rpm....at 2000-6000 cam or a 2500-6500 cam? to me it seems like the cam with the higher power band will make the most at 5000 but i dont know all the science behind how a cam works. the engine is a 327 hypo with camel hump heads, 3 angle valve job, fully ported and polished, fully balanced, performer air gap intake or single plane, 650 or 750 carb havnt figured that out yet, headers. i know this doesnt really belong on this forum but the people here seem to have a lot more knowledge then everywhere else  :yesnod:

Telvis

Ask Chryco Phsyco he should know.

67_Dodge_Charger

You really want more rpm in a boat?  The 327 is a fast reving motor.  You will need to work the heads, a higher lift cam, and a lot of gas.   ;D

good luck

-Robert

deathcharger71

haha i plan to go through a LOT of gas...problem is with my jet anything past 5 grand is REALLY hard to reach...i would need 450 hp to get it near 6 grand, doubt ill get that out of 327 cubes, ill be lucky to get 400. my confusion is i have all these people telling me to go for low end power, and to me that makes no sense. im gonna do as much to the heads as possible, 3 angle valve job, fully ported and polished...and theyre already camel hump heads which flow pretty well. my thinking is i need a cam that will make an ass load of power from 3000 to 7000 rpm...i know i wont use anything above 5500, but that cam will make the MOST power between 4000-5500 rpm. and i will be using a 100 shot next season so i want a cam that can handle it  ;D

Chryco Psycho

I wouild look for a cam with a peak RPM in the 6000-6500 range to get great power 1000 rpm lower alos a cam ground with a lower CL will make more peak power in a narrower powerband so I would be looking at a cam ground on 108 or 106 CL
I have had good power from small block Chevs using Lunati grinds , call Lunati Tech line & see what they recommend for your application 

deathcharger71

thanks for your advice  :thumbs: im almost certain im going with that lunati cam, i have a couple weeks til i need it so ill keep doing research but that seems to be my best bet  :icon_smile_cool: