News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

99 F350 brake issues...

Started by Wicked72, March 04, 2013, 05:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

I have had my Superduty for about 10 years now. I have had major brake issues with it every couple years and its getting to me... yes my problem started with it being a ford... anyway. My calipers will have either one or both pistons lock up in one or the slide pins lock up. I have fixed the slide pin issue by adding a high temp grease in them and making sure the little boots are in place. now the pistons locking up is weird. The pins are good, the pads have about 3/4 life still in them but ill have a piston lock up... When i have this issue i make sure to bleed it and see if theres any pressure causing it and it always is just a locked piston. Also I have changed the fluid thinking theres a bunch of crap in it but its clean... Today I replaced a caliper up front drove it for a bit and now one of the rear ones is locked up... :brickwall:  So I am assuming its just a defect since I can go about  2 years without an issue with them. What the hell..?
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Cooter

Whereare you getting the replacement calipers? Many cheaper auto parts stores today are having there's "Remanned" overseas and are NOT thebest quality. Also, where you live/drive, is it wet/damp/salted roads/up north? I've seen "northern" cars need calipers every year. One friend from Wisconsin hadda Honda that Every summer, I had to replace the calipers for sticking.

How many times have you flushed the brake fluid? Moisture in the system can cause all kinds of problems in the braking system.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

chargerboy69

Quote from: Cooter on March 05, 2013, 07:23:36 AM
Whereare you getting the replacement calipers? Many cheaper auto parts stores today are having there's "Remanned" overseas and are NOT thebest quality. Also, where you live/drive, is it wet/damp/salted roads/up north? I've seen "northern" cars need calipers every year. One friend from Wisconsin hadda Honda that Every summer, I had to replace the calipers for sticking.

How many times have you flushed the brake fluid? Moisture in the system can cause all kinds of problems in the braking system.

I agree with Cooter, cheep, junk calipers.

I also have a 1999 F350.  I just recently replaced pads, rotors and calipers.  I went to NAPA and purchased their top of the line made in the USA parts and have had zero issues.  Now to be honest, pads, rotors and calipers for all four corners ran me $900.00 just in parts, but seem worth it.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

GPULLER

We get all of our Super Duty calipers right from Ford (Motorcraft).  They are actually reasonable and haven't had troubles with them.

Silver R/T

Have you checked brake lines, maybe they're pinched/swollen inside?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

rt green

have you checked the rears?   front brakes doing all the work?  i agree to flush the system. could try to put dot 4 in it when you flush. higher temp stuff
third string oil changer