News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front Disc Brake kit Question on Pads

Started by chargersb71, March 01, 2013, 09:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargersb71

Been away for awhile had to put my car on hold due to things happening beyond our control.  But back in the saddle again or back in trouble with the misses for all the money I'm spending and time spent outside on my car. 
      Anyway the question is on all of these front disc brake kits is about replacement pads.  I don't want to have to make a special order just to replace worn out pads I would rather just be able to walk in a local auto parts and get a set.  I know there is a kit using the Ram calipers but not sure if those will make my wheels stick out a little further. 

MSRacing89

Not 100% sure what you mean by "special order"?  Any kit you put on will be matched to a make, model and specific rotor width.  For instance, if you use a 1999 GEN 1/II Viper Caliper, you would simply order or pick up pads for a 1999 Dodge Viper.  Same with the Dodge Ram kit you referenced. 

I only time you may get into a non over the counter pad is something like a Wilwood kit or Baer kit.  You would simply order the replacement pad from Summit or direct from Wilwood/ Baer. 
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

chargersb71

Quote from: MSRacing89 on March 01, 2013, 05:45:33 PM
Not 100% sure what you mean by "special order"?  Any kit you put on will be matched to a make, model and specific rotor width.  For instance, if you use a 1999 GEN 1/II Viper Caliper, you would simply order or pick up pads for a 1999 Dodge Viper.  Same with the Dodge Ram kit you referenced. 

I only time you may get into a non over the counter pad is something like a Wilwood kit or Baer kit.  You would simply order the replacement pad from Summit or direct from Wilwood/ Baer. 
So if I was to choose the PST or MP brakes front end conversion kit I would just have to look up brake pads for 1971 Charger and I would be good to go.  As far as the special order what I am saying is I wouldn't have to order directly from the supplier of my conversion kit.  Now if I ordered from Wilwood or Baer I understand that I would have to order specific pads.  Just wanting to get as much info as I can before I make my decision. 
       Thanks for the reply.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: MSRacing89 on March 01, 2013, 05:45:33 PM

Not true on the Baer kits, my instructions state what year/make and model of car to buy for. You can buy replacements pads anywhere. Call Baer, their customer service is top notch.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Patronus

FWIW the Wilwoods change out real easy. But I think the Baers are
probably the best on the market..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

chargersb71

So pretty much it's not going to be a big deal to get replacement pads either way I go is my understanding.  Just trying to get everything together so I can move along with my front suspension and brakes while it is at the body shop.  Thanks again for the help I will be back with more questions later.

MSRacing89

I agree that you will not have to worry about pads and the availability.  Unless you are tracking the car or putting serious miles on the thing.............maybe something you would address every 5 years?? Maybe even longer?  Personally, I would not chose brakes based on concerns about pads.  Just about every kit you get you will have the choice of EBC, Hawk, Lucas, Wilwood, etc, etc.

If you need help determining the pad choices with whatever kit you decide, just chime back in here we can help.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.