News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Accord trailer hitch

Started by flyinlow, February 28, 2013, 11:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I have a 2012 v6 Accord I would like to be able to pull a small motorcycle trailer. The Valkyrie weighs about 850# and the single Motorcycle trailer weighs about 300# Drawtite makes a hitch. Anyone done this?

Dino

Quote from: flyinlow on February 28, 2013, 11:08:22 AM
I have a 2012 v6 Accord I would like to be able to pull a small motorcycle trailer. The Valkyrie weighs about 850# and the single Motorcycle trailer weighs about 300# Drawtite makes a hitch. Anyone done this?

Have not but I have the I4 version and drove the V6, plenty power to pull that stuff if you ask me.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

mauve66

should be ok, my 98 neon, twin cam, auto, pulled a small uhaul trailer with about 300-500# of stuff in it from MO to NV, worked fine, just make sure you get the weight as forward on the trailer as you can so it will track straight, if too much weight is to the rear of the trailer it will wiggle and then come up and smack you in the head when your not watching  :eek2:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Old Moparz

I had a small camping trailer that I had weighed, it was just around 800 pounds empty. With 5 gallons of water & some gear, it was probably less than 1000 pounds. My 4 cylinder Nissan Pickup truck pulled it without any trouble.

Even this guy pulls something, a car I pass going to work. I just hope it ain't a car on a trailer he's dragging around.    :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

flyinlow

Its got enough power to pull it (270HP) was more concerned with the chassie. The owner manual say max towing 1000#, but a 2013 RT Charger has that limit also. The underpowered 4 banger CRV is rated at 2000#  :shruggy:

I'll throw a trans cooler on it and a hitch and see how it does.

Nwcharger

just be carefull and put a better trans cooler than the factory one. i was a Honda tech for 10 years and i can tell you first hand there transmissions would fail all the time. i did so many that it turned into a 45 minute job that payed 5.0 hours on the 4 cylinder and 7.5 on the v6. it became easy to flag 30 hours in 1 day. honestly i dont remember ever installing a hitch on an accord, besides the crosstour.
1969 coronet wagon

flyinlow

What causes the trans failures, overheating?

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Nwcharger

I think there are a couple of reasons. The service interval for the transmission fluid changed in 98 from 15k to 30k and it may have changed again to 60k but I don't work for Honda anymore so I don't remember. These transmissions do not have a replaceable filter so as the fluid breaks down it starts plugging up the screens in the shift solenoids and eventually burns up the pump. I own a 99 odyssey that my wife drives and I've put 5 transmissions in it but Honda up the warranty to 100k on them because they they knew they had a problem so I would tow ALOT of weight with that van. The 5th transmission was the last so I try not to tow much with it anymore and I change the fluid every 15k. I would just stick to changing the fluid at 15k if your going to tow.
1969 coronet wagon

flyinlow

The owners manual does not have service table. When the wrench symbol illuminates on the dash ,take the car to the dealership and they will tell you what it needs.  :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: This is unsettling to most car guys.

Uncomfortable leather seats on long trips, more road noise then the 9 year old car it replaced , gas milage is not that good and it looks like every other silver japanease jellybean car in a parking lot. Not sure why I bought it.

Nwcharger

That's why I'm building a superbird clone for my wife to drive so I can sell the odyssey. The only Hondas I'm keeping are my 1965 s600 sports coupe 1 of 1800, my crx sir factory right hand drive, and my crx hf because it gets 50mpg and looks better than a Prius.
1969 coronet wagon

ACUDANUT

I wouldn't be caught in either. lol

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?