News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Saying goodbye to my '71 RT

Started by 68RT4ME, February 26, 2013, 10:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RT4ME

Well, this past Sunday, I had a guy visit the house who wanted to see my '71 RT. It was his 2nd time over to see it as he was here back in August but wanted to do some more looking. That was fine with me as I wasn't really trying to sell it but was willing to listen to an offer. Back then, he did make an offer but I wasn't interested. When he called me last Thursday and asked to see it again, I said ok but made clear I wouldn't accept his last offer. Well he showed up and after another test drive and some time going over every inch of the car, he made what I felt was a good offer and the deal was made.

Tonight, he came over and paid up and after 7 years of my ownership, the title changed hands. It was a bitter sweet moment but one that I was fine with in the end as I have had a great time with that car but was ready to move on to my '69 RT project and get that going again.

I got the '69 in '07 and started on it but soon decide to put it on hold as the economy took the wrong turn and I wanted to wait so as to not get into a bad way. Well the time has come and so it's now full steam ahead. The car will be going to a different shop this time as the last one started out strong but as time went by, the owner was becoming less interested and I was getting concerned that things weren't going well for him. He's still around but I feel I'm better off with the shop I'm going with after seeing the work that was done to "Elacruze's" 68 Charger. Those that know Eric also know his car is just great. He's had it on the last 2 Hot Rod Power Tours and it looks awesome.

So tomorrow I say a final goodbye to my '71 as that's when the new owner will come and get it. He lives in a nearby town and so I will be seeing it from time to time as the guy wants to get together for some shows. He's just getting back into the hobby after many years so I know it's going to a good home and feel like he and I will become friends too. He was pretty excited when he left earlier tonight. Here are just a couple of pics of my now former '71. Goodbye Buddy  :wave:

'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

JB400

Sad to see em go, but I'm glad to hear your still in the hobby and going further on your 69. :2thumbs: :cheers:

hemi68charger

It'll be a melancholy day old Friend, but it'll soon pass and you'll find joy with the resurrection of the '69..... As you know, I've done this a few times...... Glad to see you in a 2nd generation again...........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Homerr

Tough for a car like that to leave, but it helping your other project move forward it worth a whole lot too.

General_01

Congrats on the sale and good luck with the '69. We wish we never had to sell them, but in reality we need to prioritize and move on with a plan. Sounds like their will be a restoration thread coming soon. :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

AKcharger

Don't feel too bad...it's only a 3rd Gen  :eek2:

ScatPacker

I wish i was that guy, that was a nice one to let go. I would sell both my 72's for a numbers 71 R/T or Bee born with a 440.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ScatPacker on February 27, 2013, 12:01:33 AM
I wish i was that guy, that was a nice one to let go. I would sell both my 72's for a numbers 71 R/T or Bee born with a 440.

They must not be Rallyes..Anyway, It's always hard to sell and say goodbye... Now finish the 69.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Great looking car!  New owner must be stoked
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tan top

nice looking third generation  :drool5:  , looking forward to seeing pictures of the 69  :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RIDELIKEHELL

That is on sharp looking car! I'd be sad to let it go but the 69 sounds like fun  :2thumbs:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Mopar Nut

It's hard to let your babies go, nice looking 71.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

bill440rt

Wow, looked like a helluva car!  :drool5:
Best of luck with your new project.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

71dodgechargerrt

Nice looking R\T, had mine 13 years now would be hard to let it go. Automactic or 4spd? Good luck with the 69.

Scaregrabber

Nice looking car! I would never let that one go to be replaced by a 69 but everyone has different tastes.

Sheldon

HeavyFuel

Interesting username you have.......I just assumed you were after a '68. :shruggy:

hemi68charger

Quote from: HeavyFuel on February 27, 2013, 10:56:55 PM
Interesting username you have.......I just assumed you were after a '68. :shruggy:

Times and people change........ Look at me.........  :lol:  I no longer have a '68 Hemi Charger R/T, but to change my username would be unthinkable, no one would know me..........  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

cdr

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 27, 2013, 11:06:14 PM

Times and people change........ Look at me.........  :lol:  I no longer have a '68 Hemi Charger R/T, but to change my username would be unthinkable, no one would know me..........  :icon_smile_big:

who are you
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

hemi68charger

Quote from: cdr on February 27, 2013, 11:28:22 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on February 27, 2013, 11:06:14 PM

who are you

I am that I am..... Oh wait, that's my Father......... never mind...............
Troy

Wookie316

Was that a California R/T? Only ask because it does not have the machine gun tips. I believe the California emission cars were not allowed to have tips? Or was it ordered without tips? Just curious is all. Great car. I am sure it was sad to see it go. Good luck with the new one.
1971 Plum Crazy SupeBee. 400 bored and stroked to 511, 727 spinning a Dana 4.30

68RT4ME

Thanks guys for all the compliments. Yes, the car was/is really nice. I always made sure to keep up on it and since South Fl. allows for year round driving, I did get allot of wheel time with it. I hit a ton of shows and have had allot of fun with it. Plenty of pics/trophies/plaques to keep the memories around.

The new owner actually gets the car tonight as rain prevented him from having it last night and he is pretty hyped about it. He hasn't had a MOPAR in 12 yrs according to him. His wife came over with him on Sunday to see what he was buying and though she didn't have a clue about what is was (She's from Thailand and isn't familiar with Muscle Cars) but, she was pretty much overjoyed with the car and when I fired it up, she actually jumped at the roar by it. She's a Mini Van Mom...lol. I know it's going to a good home so it's not sooooo bad. (yeah right  :rotz:)

Anyway, the '69's T5 440 4spd numbers car. and I'm pretty pumped up to get rollin on it. Theres allot of shopping to do for it but most of the cars parts are still there. I'd say better than 90% of it. I'm toying with the idea of putting a 6Pack on it (Cause I like that even more than a Hemi. I know that's crazy but still...lol) and I've always wanted one. (Thanks Troy Hemi68Charger, it's all your fault. You and that damn 70 6pack RT)

Yes my screen name has '68 in it and that's what I wanted but when I found this car and how original and complete it was I couldn't pass it up) There may still be a '68 out there for me in the future too. Here the '69 as it was when I got in '07 and as it currently sits waiting transfer to the body shop. Engine and tranny are tucked away nice and safe.

'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

68RT4ME

Quote from: Wookie316 on February 28, 2013, 12:15:13 PM
Was that a California R/T? Only ask because it does not have the machine gun tips. I believe the California emission cars were not allowed to have tips? Or was it ordered without tips? Just curious is all. Great car. I am sure it was sad to see it go. Good luck with the new one.

I was told when I got it that it came from Wisconsin I had the rear valance changed with a new one from AMD along with original tips off of a '72. I had that done last year along with a new top, front and rear glass and a host of other things.

hemi68charger

Troy

scatpakrt

Nice looking 71 R/T. I also have a "Mr. Norm's" 71 R/T and have been trying to get Troy to give me one of his famous "Troy Trades" for it. I might settle for his Daytona and some cash.. :smilielol:
71 "Mr. Norm's" Charger R/T, 440 auto, 323 Suregrip, Bright Red
09 Challenger SRT8, 6.1 Hemi, auto, Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
08 Mega Cab, 2500 Diesel, auto, Brilliant Black Pearlcoat