News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Horn issue / simple bulb question

Started by brigond, February 24, 2013, 06:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brigond

First the bulb......I had a tail light bulb that was out. When I attempted to remove the bulb it came off leaving the lower portion of the bulb behind . Any suggestions on how to remove  the lower portion of the bulb  from out of the socket ? it's pretty rusted . Do the bulbs twist out or push in then twist out etc ?

The horn........ when I first purchased the car horn was not working. It turned out someone removed the relay . I replaced the horn relay with a new 1 now the. horn works . After giving the car a test drive  I realized why they removed the horn relay. Everytime I turn the wheel the horn will lightly sound. Any suggestions on what part I may need to replace . It seems I will need to remove the steering column. Thank you  
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

Fred

Re: bulb.  That would be a push in and twist.  To get the left over out just take a spade screw driver and push it in hard and then twist.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

brigond

Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

Fred

:2thumbs:

The horn problem lies under the horn button. You're getting contact while turning the steering wheel  (sounds like it's earthing out) but to really be able to give you the correct advice, I need to be able to see it. Sorry I can't help you there.
TIP.........you need to remove the horn button and steering wheel to get to the problem.

71 SE3834V

Good tip on the broken bulbs. I was going to say use needle nose pliers. Usually works for me. Hope it's not the back up bulb. Not much room to work there.
Give the bulbs a good coating of die-electric grease before putting them in to help prevent your problem.

I also have a missing horn relay. Found it in the console. Was hoping it was pulled out cause the key buzzer was staying on. Haven't put it back in yet. Hope I don't have the same problem as you.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

brigond

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on February 25, 2013, 09:03:21 PM
Good tip on the broken bulbs. I was going to say use needle nose pliers. Usually works for me. Hope it's not the back up bulb. Not much room to work there.
Give the bulbs a good coating of die-electric grease before putting them in to help prevent your problem.

I also have a missing horn relay. Found it in the console. Was hoping it was pulled out cause the key buzzer was staying on. Haven't put it back in yet. Hope I don't have the same problem as you.
Quote from: Fred on February 24, 2013, 08:13:54 PM
Re: bulb.  That would be a push in and twist.  To get the left over out just take a spade screw driver and push it in hard and then twist.

I used a large flat head ( about a 1/2 inch wide) it worked like a charm . I didn't think of the grease.

I was actually glad that I  got some sort of sound when I installed the horn relay . It sure beats nothing at all .I'm hoping it's just some sort of switch that I have to replace .

Fred

Glad we've at least got one of your problems solved.  :cheers:

A383Wing

piece of vacuum hose or small heater hose jambed into the broken bulb socket then turn out the bulb socket

Bryan

71 SE3834V

Ahh when you need to honk at somebody just make a left turn.

It's been awhile since I had an old school steering wheel off you could just have something loose or warped in the contact ring.

It's worth while to pull all your light bulbs & grease them & the sockets. Did both of my classics last year after having to replace one of the sockets on the Charger.
After many years of owning old snowplow trucks & boat trailers and seeing the corrosion that happens this is something that has paid off for me. It'll help keep the terminal/contact plate freed up also.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

brigond

Nacho-RT74

I though to fixing method to eliminate what is causing problems was a VENEZUELAN ONLY METHOD!!! LOL, instead ACTUALLY FIX the problem!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71 SE3834V

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on February 26, 2013, 08:38:00 AM
I though to fixing method to eliminate what is causing problems was a VENEZUELAN ONLY METHOD!!! LOL, instead ACTUALLY FIX the problem!

Why fix it if you can just duct tape it!  ;)
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

brigond

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on March 01, 2013, 04:44:57 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on February 26, 2013, 08:38:00 AM
I though to fixing method to eliminate what is causing problems was a VENEZUELAN ONLY METHOD!!! LOL, instead ACTUALLY FIX the problem! ;)

Why fix it if you can just duct tape it!  ;)

Yeah, duct tape. I'm sure I can use in some way to fix it. I love duct tape. I wish I invented it.

71 SE3834V

Have you ever tried Gorilla Tape? Man it makes duct tape look like a childs toy!
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

brigond

I never used it because I thought it was just duct tape in another name .I'll keep it in mind for those extra heavy duty projects .the gorilla products are  1 of the few  product left that are made in USA .At least I know the glue is .

71 SE3834V

It's expensive, about $8-$10 a roll but it's about 3 times the thickness & stickier. Once used it to tape up a rip on a tarp like canopy outside (Michigan winters) and 2 yrs later it was still stuck on. Son in law taped the sideview mirror back on the door of his beater after it got knocked off.  :smilielol:
Oops....got a little off the subject.  :icon_smile_big: :misbehaving:
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

brigond

we could make charger body panels out of it . There, we're back o :laugh:n subject .

Fred

I use it to keep my toupee in place...............ask anybody.

71 SE3834V

Quote from: brigond on March 01, 2013, 10:22:16 PM
we could make charger body panels out of it . There, we're back o :laugh:n subject .

Around here duct tape IS used for body panels.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V