News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 Ramcharger Hood WIW

Started by 68killerbee, February 23, 2013, 10:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68killerbee

Skip my life story in this paragraph if you want to see what I'm getting at. When I first got my Super Bee at 16 years old I had the idea of having a Super Bee from 68-71 one day as a collection.  I'm 25 now and see how taking care of one car can be enough for you, I mean you can only drive one at a time.  I bought a 2010 Challenger R/T at the end of last year and have realized I really just want a convertible something and I would be happy.  While I was going to college I saw a guy driving a 73 charger and stopped and talked with him.  Asked if he had any parts and he mentioned an air grabber hood.  Well many emails and 3 years later, I finally get it.  Now this sort of opens up my hopes of getting a 71 Super Bee again someday.  We have a 73 Charger we could put it on, but our bulge hood is good enough to keep on that.
I am curious on what is the worth of this hood?  I plan on holding onto it for a year at least while on the lookout for a super bee. Had I not bought that new challenger, this would be much easier, but the challenger is going nowhere :).  I doubt they will ever reproduce this entire hood, I know they sell kits but they seem pricey and well just aren't original (maybe those are just RR/GTX repro's they do unless you are willing to cut up a bulge hood to put the A/G stuff on it).  Overall condition of this hood is pretty good considering the age, the actuator seems to hold vacuum. The black piece that bolts onto the underside of the hood is broken up at some spots.  Well just check out the pics and tell me what you think they are worth.  I emailed a mopar business to ask what he thought it was worth and he said he needed one for a car, but didn't give me a number on my hood.
Alright here they are,
thanks in advance
http://s19.beta.photobucket.com/user/hunterbee68/library/Charger%20hood

Also I do not have the air cleaner or base.  How much is an actuator worth also?  I know I can get one rebuilt for around 200, but how much would be a fair price on buying an actuator, bracket not included.
thanks again

1carcrazyguy

If you are close to Texas,  I am willing to pay market value for it!  :yesnod:   Or I have a 73 power bulge hood with some cash or.... :scratchchin:.... maybe even willing to trade you another Mopar......or just cash....

Did that one happen to come off a green car that was being sold along with a gold car also?

68killerbee

Previous owner has had this since the 80's.
but it does appear to originally be green..... why's that?

1carcrazyguy

Quote from: 68killerbee on February 23, 2013, 11:31:08 PM
Previous owner has had this since the 80's.
but it does appear to originally be green..... why's that?

Back when I first got my car I heard of someone in here in Texas that had a green 73 with a white ramcharger hood.  The seller also had another 71 Charger that was being sold as a pair.  Well by the time I found out they were for sale they were sold....."missed it by that much".  :yesnod:  Oh well, life goes on.  I will find one somewhere but I had to move on with the project.   It is almost done.... :drool5:

68killerbee

Quote from: 1carcrazyguy on February 23, 2013, 11:24:07 PM
If you are close to Texas,  I am willing to pay market value for it!  :yesnod:   Or I have a 73 power bulge hood with some cash or.... :scratchchin:.... maybe even willing to trade you another Mopar......or just cash....

If only I knew what market value was.  :popcrn:   Can't really get an answer from anyone, so I will just store it until I find my 71 Bee as I intended.

1carcrazyguy

ACUDANUT

Market value is around 500-1000 bucks.

1carcrazyguy

C_stripes

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 23, 2013, 11:54:32 PM
Market value is around 500-1000 bucks.

Ya, where are you seeing those prices?????
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

General_01

Those things have gone for anywhere from $1800-$2500 depending on condition. Don't let anyone bullshit you.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

1carcrazyguy

Quote from: General_01 on February 24, 2013, 12:23:00 AM
Those things have gone for anywhere from $1800-$2500 depending on condition. Don't let anyone bullshit you.

That is where I am at if I can find one close enough that I can inspect it and not have to hassle with shipping.  :yesnod: 

JB400

Like you                                                                                                            :D

68killerbee

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on February 24, 2013, 01:18:26 AM
Like you

lol?

what would be the going rate on an actuator? 

General_01

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on February 24, 2013, 01:18:26 AM
Like you                                                                                                            :D

Please explain. :shruggy:

Or is this just another useless post to up a post whores count. :eyes:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

daveco

Yea, I was at a wrecking yard the other day and they had '71 Ramcharger hoods stacked like cordwood out by the dumpster :slap:
R/Tree

ACUDANUT

Same old story. How bad you want one I guess. I'd never pay over a grand for a hood.

adauto

Quote from: daveco on February 24, 2013, 11:19:01 AM
Yea, I was at a wrecking yard the other day and they had '71 Ramcharger hoods stacked like cordwood out by the dumpster :slap:

That be pretty much it I'm afraid. At least in these parts.... and I am a recycler..... 0 demand...  :shruggy:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

69 OUR/TEA

The 71-72 RR air grabber hoods are right up there to in price from what I've seen at Mopar show/swap meets.
Either way,the craze over having an air grabber hood has forced the prices on those right up there,and those who have to have it are gonna have to fork over the cash.
At least the charger hoods don't have the bubble on top,those are pricy to for an original,and the repos aren't cheap either,and from what I saw on Moparts,don't fit all that well.

71_Charger_R/T

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 24, 2013, 11:37:07 AM
Same old story. How bad you want one I guess. I'd never pay over a grand for a hood.
Then you'll probably never own a '71 Ramcharger hood!

1carcrazyguy

The only way I see a 1000 Ramcharger hood would be if it was an AMD repop if/when they come out in a few years... :shruggy:

When I sent my car to the body shop a couple of years ago I posted a wanted ad.  Someone from the Topeka Kansas area emailed me that they were in the process of taking standard power bulge hoods (71-73 hoods) and welding in the opening and door.  They were going to email me when they got the first ones done and I never heard back from them?  So either it did not work out like they thought or they sold them before they were done?  :shruggy:

JB400

Stephan's has it listed here for $227.  A few other sites are in the same ballpark

http://stephensperformance.com/airgrabber.html

Considering the availability of air grabber parts, I think if you want cheaper hoods from the aftermarket, your gonna have to start buying the parts themselves.  It'll show interest which manufacturers will notice.  They're testing the waters right now with the pieces. Buy the parts, the hoods will follow.  It worked for the 70 Plymouths.

68killerbee

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on February 24, 2013, 07:45:19 PM
Stephan's has it listed here for $227.  A few other sites are in the same ballpark

http://stephensperformance.com/airgrabber.html

Considering the availability of air grabber parts, I think if you want cheaper hoods from the aftermarket, your gonna have to start buying the parts themselves.  It'll show interest which manufacturers will notice.  They're testing the waters right now with the pieces. Buy the parts, the hoods will follow.  It worked for the 70 Plymouths.

Thanks for the link, I ended up buying an original one that supposedly works.  The hood I bought already has one, but might as well stock up when I get the chance.

AKcharger

I saw a complete one at Carlise a few years ago for $2500...I kick myself for not buying it

ACUDANUT

I'd have divorce papers when the Mrs. found out.

AKcharger

lol...she was there with me..problem was how to get it back to Alaska?  :popcrn:

JB400

could have mailed it to yourself.

AKcharger

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on February 27, 2013, 03:13:46 AM
could have mailed it to yourself.
Best shipping I could find was $900 and even then I would have had to crate it myself and transport it to Upstate new york.

ACUDANUT

That's why I value them at 1000.  Heck you can still buy a 73-74 Charger for the price of this hood. :Twocents:

68killerbee

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 27, 2013, 05:12:32 PM
That's why I value them at 1000.  Heck you can still buy a 73-74 Charger for the price of this hood. :Twocents:

Great point, do you do paypal.  I'd hate to send it in the mail to you, so I'll deliver it for free.

Guy with chicken in your signature, is that legit or a joke? Have something to do with your job?

Skyview69

I sold mine for $2300.00 at least five years ago.  I'd pay that now to get it back!

68killerbee

2300 with all the pieces? or?  Mine is just the hood and everything that attaches to the hood..  No air cleaner, canister or anything else.  Where did you sell it?

AKcharger

Quote from: 68killerbee on February 27, 2013, 07:59:52 PM
Guy with chicken in your signature, is that legit or a joke? Have something to do with your job?

LOL..man I forget that's there. The story...OK you asked for it: A few years ago when I was in the AF we always get strong armed to give to the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) well I was going through the catalog of organizations to give to and came across "United Poltry Concerns" an organization devoted to protecting Chickens...I thought it must be a joke, so I went to their website and sure enough its a group that wants to protect chickens from the evils of chicken farms and such. On the site it said "copy our banner to spread the news" and I thought, well you can't get any more bazaar or random than that...so I made it part of my profile just as a goof. Wow that was 2005 I think :scratchchin:

Sorry to hijack the thread...now back to the hood discussion!  :popcrn:

Skyview69

Quote from: 68killerbee on February 27, 2013, 10:22:58 PM
2300 with all the pieces? or?  Mine is just the hood and everything that attaches to the hood..  No air cleaner, canister or anything else.  Where did you sell it?

I sold it to a member on this site.  It was fully functional.  It did not have the under dash swith or canister but all else was there.

ACUDANUT

Man, That "Combined Federal Campaign (CFC)" is a crock of bull. we were "forced to participate" and it still makes me mad as hell.

Wookie316

So what parts can be purchased repo?
Here is my list am I missing anything?
N96 Hood with insert
Under hood sealing housing
Air cleaner base
Canister and tubing
Switch
Linkage parts that operate door
Is there anything else? What can be had repo and what has to be original? How many $ is a guy looking at?

Just wondering what a guy would have to spend as well what would a factory Superbee hood with insert bring to offset the cost of a N96 setup?
1971 Plum Crazy SupeBee. 400 bored and stroked to 511, 727 spinning a Dana 4.30

68killerbee

PG  classic sells one to make the plymouth version for $1550 but is missing air cans.  Then I guess you supply the hood and have someone put it all together??

I just asked about the one guys signature bc I have grown up always having poultry and actually studied it a bit in college.  My sisters got her masters in animal nutrition, and works for a poultry company now. hah

AKcharger

Not sure if you got you're answer or not but I bought a Ramchager hood this summer for $1800 and still need the air box and parts...but I was VERY happy to get the hood at that price

68killerbee

I ended up selling it about a month ago for 2200 or 2300, can't remember.  :2thumbs:

AKcharger

Sounds about right...put that $$ to good use!
:lol: