News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cant get any cheaper?

Started by 1974dodgecharger, February 19, 2013, 12:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69rtse4spd

Quote from: Mopar Nut on February 19, 2013, 03:47:35 PM
It's sold, I just talked to the seller.

The Toy Box boyz will be jacking this one up & up.

1carcrazyguy

I thought they closed up shop?  :shruggy:  I think I recall someone saying at a swap meet they switched to a paint and body shop now?  :shruggy:

F8-4life

4k is on the low end but granted its going to be worse in person then percieved by internet pics. Probably worth 4-6k depending on how realistic the potentail buyer is.  A "steal" for this would be anything under 3k I think.

F8-4life

Wow that 1/4 pic is crazy...hell maybe the guy could have got more out of it if he turned it loose a couple years ago before the salt took its toll.

1carcrazyguy

Back then..."it's not for sale".   I had been looking for a 70 model since 2004, well heck I still am looking for one.   :brickwall:  Anyway, I stopped and asked but it was not for sale.

Not that I gave up completely but since my dad is getting up there in years and I just could not seem to find a decent 2nd gen to replace his 68 or 70 that he had when I was growing up.  I decided to buy a 71 Charger that we ran across and get it redone to help put him behind the wheel of a B-5 Charger.  It is almost done and everytime I talk to him on the phone he is more excited about how it looks!  I am having in done just a few miles from him so he gets to stop in and check on it when ever he wants.   Even though it's not a 70.  At least it is his favorite color and says "Charger"!  :lol: 

lukedukem

Quote from: 1carcrazyguy on February 19, 2013, 04:30:10 PM
Quote from: 1BAD68 on February 19, 2013, 04:23:52 PM
Yikes! from that to this in 3 years?

Sitting out in the open less than 2 blocks from the Gulf of Mexico....yep!  Salt film coats everything sitting out.  You could wash your car in the morning and have to use the washer fluid after work to get the salt film off the windshield.   :brickwall: 

i hear you man. grew up on the coast in port o conner. nothing lasted down there.
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Cooter

THIS is the "Cheap" Charger. Anything more soild than this and the price goes up accordingly. No way in hell you will find a SOLID Charger for under $15K nowadays. Unless, you just happened upon the worlds last moron that sold it cheap. This is how I get ALL my cars. They are cheaper, but add in my time invested and you have about a $20K Charger.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1carcrazyguy

Quote from: Cooter on February 19, 2013, 05:49:21 PM
THIS is the "Cheap" Charger. Anything more soild than this and the price goes up accordingly. No way in hell you will find a SOLID Charger for under $15K nowadays. Unless, you just happened upon the worlds last moron that sold it cheap. This is how I get ALL my cars. They are cheaper, but add in my time invested and you have about a $20K Charger.

That is the exact reason I ended up with a 71.  :lol:  I bought what I could afford at the time.  Now that the 71 is almost done.  I just have to get my wifes 70 Duster back together.  Then I will be buying a 70 Charger.... :drool5:    I may have to sell every car I have....but I am going to find one....someway somehow.   

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

They shoulda left that car in Virginia where it would have lasted for decades more  :Twocents:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Cooter on February 19, 2013, 05:49:21 PM

funny though even at 5k we are bitchin about how its just not worth it  :scratchchin:  :shruggy:

The grill is worth some money for sure and rear tail lights etc...all in all someone could part the parts and get more than 5k for sure.  I dont see why it wouldnt run if someone put just a tad little effort into figure say 1500 and then someone could then sell it for 10k plus for sure a running 2nd gen goes for that much last time I saw unless you got a rust hole in your roof like the last one I posted.  :icon_smile_big:

Mopar Nut

He did say it was originally a 318 car.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ACUDANUT

318 2nd Gen cars are still worth 8-10 in that condition

1carcrazyguy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 21, 2013, 11:31:57 AM
318 2nd Gen cars are still worth 8-10 in that condition

I guess the answer to that lies within the condition of the floor pans, trunk pans and frame rails.   But from where the car was sitting and how it was stored I think the seller was asking an honest price for what was there.

But if it is still worth 8-10 as it sits....I guess HPLAG could sleep at night then.  :smilielol: 

Mike DC

Remember 10-15 years ago, "back when Chargers were cheap" and people could get buildable Chargers for only a few grand? 

Well those "buildable" cars typically had all the same rust that this one does.   

And $4000 in 2013 dollars is more like $2000 in 1990s dollars. 

1carcrazyguy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 21, 2013, 07:57:26 PM

Remember 10-15 years ago, "back when Chargers were cheap" and people could get buildable Chargers for only a few grand?  

Probably the exact reason I still don't have a 2nd gen.  I was broke back then also.  :brickwall:  Guess it is a good thing I like several body styles. Until that needle in the haystack 70 pops up...I will just enjoy the 71.  As bad as I wanted to replace my dads old car, I know he has really enjoyed watching this car come together by the perma- :icon_smile_big: on his face.  So I guess instead of bring back an old memory, we are making new ones. :woohoo:  After a few long years, I hope to have pics and video of him behind the wheel in the next couple of weeks!  :drool5:

1carcrazyguy

Back on topic.....anyone here end up with the Portland Texas 68 Charger?  :shruggy:

1974dodgecharger

portland, TX?

Did it have the 383 with column shift? black?  guy works in the oil rig?

Cooter

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 21, 2013, 09:20:52 AM

funny though even at 5k we are bitchin about how its just not worth it  :scratchchin:  :shruggy:

Nope, that just proves you don't try and sell an Eskimo a refrigerator.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

And many of us did ours WITHOUT AMD!!!!! Try having to remove a panel in order to weld it right back on? Double the work!
People still have the same disease today, they had back in the 1990's when folks were asking $4K for a running, but rusted '69. Nobody has any money, and if they do, they tend to think they need to tell all their friends what a SCREAMIN' deal they got, for fear of hearing all of them tell them what a Moron they are for buying a $1500.00 Rust bucket turd of a Charger. I hear it CONSTANTLY, but the same ones spouting that bullsh*t are also the ones that want a ride in it, or ask if it's for sale once I finish with "That rust bucket Turd of a Charger"..Most buying today has any foresight, or will to take on the "Cheap Charger". they all want INSTANT GRATIFICATION...No work, just play all the way...

Some of us, don't have that luxury. We have to come by our junk the long, hard, round about way.

duanesterrr

As a buyer, I fall into the category of wanting a screaming deal.  Its not because I want to brag about it, I am just perfectly happy having the cash in the bank waiting for a motivated seller to come along.  Some people can't wait months to find the right buyer at their asking price... some need it sold by the weekend.  I would guess that is what happened to the seller of the car that started this thread (maybe ol uncle sam came a callin). 

Cooter

funny though even at 5k we are bitchin about how its just not worth it  :scratchchin:  :shruggy:

Motivated? Sure. Gonna sell cheap? Sure. Folks who are waiting for months still complaining about how much rust it has for $5K? Sure.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Cooter on February 22, 2013, 12:51:21 PM

funny though even at 5k we are bitchin about how its just not worth it  :scratchchin:  :shruggy:

Motivated? Sure. Gonna sell cheap? Sure. Folks who are waiting for months still complaining about how much rust it has for $5K? Sure.

:rofl:

1carcrazyguy

Most buying today has any foresight, or will to take on the "Cheap Charger". they all want INSTANT GRATIFICATION...No work, just play all the way...

Some of us, don't have that luxury. We have to come by our junk the long, hard, round about way.

Does starting with a car for less than $1000, starting the rebuild in Nov 2010 and still not done with it count as instant gratification?  If so, maybe the Duster project might not qualify....Bought in 2005, started gathering parts for it every since. It was sent to the first bodyshop in 2009, removed it from that shop when I got the call that the guy was going to jail soon.  Moved it to the second body shop in Jan 2010, and it is still not painted.  

No they are not high end, numbers matching cars.  But it is still fun to be a part of the hobby and enjoy the cars.  :2thumbs: