News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tilt-a-scope in a Charger. Could it work?

Started by Dino, February 20, 2013, 12:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I know I know, I'm going crazy with all these options but I'm having a ton of fun with it so why not!

A movable column would actually be something we could use seeing my wife and I differ in height a bit.  But to be honest, I just love sticking all these options on there.   :icon_smile_big:

Does anyone have a c-body with a tilt-a-scope column?  Would it be doable to stick it in a 69 Charger?

As long as I have your attention, what else can I add to the car?  So far I have alarm, remote start, power doors, power trunk, power windows with remote and one touch operation, 6 way power seats (working on that), and that's on top of A/C and the light package that's stock on my car.

I also have some parts for the rear defogger but not all of it and I'm thinking of adding cruise control if I find a unit for a decent price.  Anything else I can add?   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tan top

:scratchchin: thought / think i read or seen pictures somewhere  of a new repop OEM style  column for E-bodies  but a tilt set up  :scratchchin: 

but if you got to modify , better off finding a C-body or similar i think  :scratchchin:

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

kab69440

I'll let you know. There's one in my trunk.  One if these days, I need to come up with an adapter that will mate it to the steering rack I also plan to install. I've never looked hard into getting them to cooperate, but have a rough idea how to make it happen.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

mauve66

no power antennae??
power curb feelers??
spark plugs in the tailpipes to create flame throwers??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Mike DC

I don't like most tilt columns because the pivot point is usually right out near the steering wheel.  I like it better when the tilt point is much farther down the column.  That way the steering wheel doesn't change its angle to any big degree.  The end result is that the steering wheel mainly just moves up/down vertically.  

The pivot being near the steering wheel also makes the wheel prone to jiggling/vibrating when the car goes over bumps.  The "rickety" feeling really bugs me.   I've looked at the OEM tilt mechanisms of a bunch of 1970s-2000s cars in junkyards and they actually seem pretty tightly built.  I think the problem is the weight making the whole column jiggle in its mounts rather than slop in the tilt mechanisms.

Another issue is the wheel location itself - on a Charger, the wheel doesn't point/locate directly at the driver seat at all, it's located/points outward a few degrees.  The steering gearbox is closer to the middle of the car than where the steering column emerges from the dashboard frame.  

-----------------

My ideal Charger wheel/column:

- Points directly toward the front seat

- Tilts from a pivot down near the firewall.  It doesn't need to move more that a few degrees down at the pivot to make it several inches at the steering wheel.

- Telescopes.  I would only bother with this one if it could move a good 4+ inches.

- Doesn't lose the factory safety features in the process.  Everybody knows the steering shaft telescopes at the lower end of the column, but there is also the column itself.  It's built to collapse towards the dashboard if the driver gets thrown into it hard (no seatbelt, etc).  The way the column attaches to the dashboard is part of the design too.  

kab69440

Quote from: mauve66 on February 20, 2013, 07:20:06 PM
no power antennae??
power curb feelers??

There's a four foot whip on the decklid with a gain booster if it makes you feel better....

Hell no.

Naw. No use for that.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Dino

Quote from: mauve66 on February 20, 2013, 07:20:06 PM
no power antennae??
power curb feelers??

Power antenna might actually be a good idea.  If I keep hitting that low branch around the corner I may end up ruining my current antenna.

I'll pass on the feelers and sparkers.

Quote from: kab69440 on February 20, 2013, 04:02:51 PM
I'll let you know. There's one in my trunk.  One if these days, I need to come up with an adapter that will mate it to the steering rack I also plan to install. I've never looked hard into getting them to cooperate, but have a rough idea how to make it happen.

I'd like to see them side by side before I decide how to do this.  I don't know how hard it'll be to find one but that's half the fun.

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 20, 2013, 08:49:06 PM

I don't like most tilt columns because the pivot point is usually right out near the steering wheel.  I like it better when the tilt point is much farther down the column.  That way the steering wheel doesn't change its angle to any big degree.  The end result is that the steering wheel mainly just moves up/down vertically. 

The pivot being near the steering wheel also makes the wheel prone to jiggling/vibrating when the car goes over bumps.  The "rickety" feeling really bugs me.   I've looked at the OEM tilt mechanisms of a bunch of 1970s-2000s cars in junkyards and they actually seem pretty tightly built.  I think the problem is the weight making the whole column jiggle in its mounts rather than slop in the tilt mechanisms.

Another issue is the wheel location itself - on a Charger, the wheel doesn't point/locate directly at the driver seat at all, it's located/points outward a few degrees.  The steering gearbox is closer to the middle of the car than where the steering column emerges from the dashboard frame. 

-----------------

My ideal Charger wheel/column:

- Points directly toward the front seat

- Tilts from a pivot down near the firewall.  It doesn't need to move more that a few degrees down at the pivot to make it several inches at the steering wheel.

- Telescopes.  I would only bother with this one if it could move a good 4+ inches.

- Doesn't lose the factory safety features in the process.  Everybody knows the steering shaft telescopes at the lower end of the column, but there is also the column itself.  It's built to collapse towards the dashboard if the driver gets thrown into it hard (no seatbelt, etc).  The way the column attaches to the dashboard is part of the design too.   

Good stuff.  I don't need it to telescope more than an inch or two but more certainly won't hurt.  I would actually like to push the steering wheel closer to the dash to give myself a bit more room.  For my wife it has to come away from the dash and drop a bit.

Cooter

Sounds like you might just wanna newer Charger Dino....It already has all that Bullsh*t on it and the weight to prove it. :D
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Quote from: Cooter on February 21, 2013, 07:53:22 AM
Sounds like you might just wanna newer Charger Dino....It already has all that Bullsh*t on it and the weight to prove it. :D

:smilielol:

The new charger is nothing but a sedan to me with a familiar name.  I'll stick to the old.  I was waiting for someone to point out I need a 69 New Yorker though.   :icon_smile_big:

kab69440

The Tilt- A-Scope telescopes 1" and a bit of spare change.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

HPP

Quote from: Dino on February 20, 2013, 12:47:02 PM
Does anyone have a c-body with a tilt-a-scope column?  Would it be doable to stick it in a 69 Charger?

Anything is possible with the right amount of time and money.

The late 70s B, and the J and M bodies would be good sources for these. I've picked and sold a dozen tilt-a-scope columns from these cars, but never adapted one to my own vehicles. I do have one up in the garage that I'm sitting on for just such a purpose.

I believe these columns are saginaw based, so they aren't a direct plug and play. They do have similar under the dash mounting features, but the wire harnesses are different, the couplers and length are different. The the telescope features has some unique pieces in its mechanism that prevent you from just bolting on a better looking steering wheel, so you may be stuck with the skinny, two spoke "luxury" design unless you have access to a machine shop.

Dino

Quote from: kab69440 on February 21, 2013, 11:05:10 AM
The Tilt- A-Scope telescopes 1" and a bit of spare change.

That's not much but it may have to do.

Quote from: HPP on February 21, 2013, 11:27:41 AM
Quote from: Dino on February 20, 2013, 12:47:02 PM

Anything is possible with the right amount of time and money.

The late 70s B, and the J and M bodies would be good sources for these. I've picked and sold a dozen tilt-a-scope columns from these cars, but never adapted one to my own vehicles. I do have one up in the garage that I'm sitting on for just such a purpose.

I believe these columns are saginaw based, so they aren't a direct plug and play. They do have similar under the dash mounting features, but the wire harnesses are different, the couplers and length are different. The the telescope features has some unique pieces in its mechanism that prevent you from just bolting on a better looking steering wheel, so you may be stuck with the skinny, two spoke "luxury" design unless you have access to a machine shop.

I can work on the money issue but time is going to be a problem...as usual.

I forgot about the steering wheel itself, I need to keep my woodgrain wheel.

kab69440

If you are going for the column, buy the steering box too. I didn't save mine and the 69 has an altogether different coupling setup. I believe the woodgrain wheel will mount up. You will have to grind the tack weld off the face of the steering shaft to remove the telescope lock lever before you pull the wheel.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Mike DC

I have a thought about telescoping columns.  This thought also applies to seat heights.

The OEMs put in a lot of work to make something infinitely adjustable, with one hand while driving, and the result usually can't travel more than an inch or so.  

I suspect it would work at least as well to only have 2 or 3 possible settings, with a total range of a good 2-3 inches, and it could be adjusted with a more primitive two-handed method while the car is stopped.    

The point is that these kinds of adjustments (telescoping column, seat height, etc) are used mainly to adjust for drivers who are widely different in size.  They usually aren't used by one primary driver to make small adjustments on the fly.  A given driver usually sets it all one way and forgets about it until a different driver moves everything.   

Lord Warlock

Quotespark plugs in the tailpipes to create flame throwers??

Hey, i've been wanting to do that for years, the charger dumps enough unburnt fuel out the tailpipes to generate a good flame.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

AirborneSilva

darn, your putting lots of gadgets on your baby  :2thumbs:  I do miss not having cruise control and I find myself looking for the ambient temp gauge too then I realize I'm not in my Ram :lol: satellite radio is also nice and a USB connection for the radio.

Dino

Quote from: AirborneSilva on February 26, 2013, 07:46:19 AM
darn, your putting lots of gadgets on your baby  :2thumbs:  I do miss not having cruise control and I find myself looking for the ambient temp gauge too then I realize I'm not in my Ram :lol: satellite radio is also nice and a USB connection for the radio.

Hey Tony good to see you again!

Yeah it started with a few mods and then it got a bit out of hand... :icon_smile_big:

I'm having fun with it though.  Swapping the windows over from manual to power will be a challenge so hopefully the car won't sit in the garage all summer.

I'm sticking another radio under the dash (old one got wet).  I can do without the satellite but it's real nice to have a front usb port. 

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Dino on February 26, 2013, 07:50:50 AM
Quote from: AirborneSilva on February 26, 2013, 07:46:19 AM

Hey Tony good to see you again!

Yeah it started with a few mods and then it got a bit out of hand... :icon_smile_big:

I'm having fun with it though.  Swapping the windows over from manual to power will be a challenge so hopefully the car won't sit in the garage all summer.

I'm sticking another radio under the dash (old one got wet).  I can do without the satellite but it's real nice to have a front usb port. 

Thanks Dirk, good to see you too!

Yeah I guess you can do without the satellite if you have the USB but I like listening to the satellite so if I hear a song (I listen to the 60's and 70's stations), that I don't have then I can go download it  :icon_smile_big:

Keep the power windows for next winter that way you wont losing any driving time.  I finally got my project to where I can use it as a daily driver, unless it's raining - has some leaks.  So I try for now to do things that wont leave it sidelined in the garage.  I will sometime in the future have to have the dash apart to completely re-do it to include the AC, just have to gather all the parts needed before I tear into it so it's down a minimal amount of time, well that's the plan anyway!

Mike DC

QuoteI'm having fun with it though.  Swapping the windows over from manual to power will be a challenge so hopefully the car won't sit in the garage all summer.

This is gonna sound weird, but I've thought about putting power motors on just the two passenger side windows.  

It seems like 90% of the benefit of power windows is just being able to move the passenger side windows while sitting on the driver's side.  Somebody is always in the driver seat, and it's pretty easy to reach a few inches backward to move the LR quarter window from the driver seat.

You would also keep some of the benefits of manual windows that way.  The most commonly used window would remain manual (longevity of the power window components).  And you would retain the ability to at least move one window manually in both the front & back of the cabin when the electricity is off (trapped inside a flooding car, etc.)  

------------------------

Either way, IMHO it's stupid that the factories still don't leave a way to manually raise & lower the glass on cars with power windows.  

All it would take is a little hole or something in each door, like behind a plastic cover or something.  They could supply a little crank handle or socket wrench for it in the trunk along with the spare tire stuff.  

They could give the manual setup a low/slow gear ratio to make it feasible to crank the power assy by hand.  It doesn't have to be as comfortable & convenient as a real manual window.  It just needs to give people a way to manually move the window by the side of the road in a pinch.  It seems do-able to me.  

b5blue

Nacho-RT74

Power antenna added here.

Actually did it because seems my car had that from factory. When I removed the dash frame, wiring for it was there with Chrysler PN
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Dino

Quote from: b5blue on March 01, 2013, 08:01:30 PM
Did someone say power antenna?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/190804269085?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
  I was looking at this yesterday... :scratchchin:

Hmmmm I don't run the car through anything but the no touch wash so no need for it there.  They cut the low hanging tree limb around the corner so I won't be hitting that with the antenna anymore.  It's not in the way and it's pretty straight....oh hell who am I kidding, I want it!...just not $80 want it that's all....

b5blue

I'm tempted to try one as I need a new one anyway, but not if I have to remove the fender!  :lol:

kab69440

You can do it without removing the fender, but you will have to remove the splashpan.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny