News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 balancer question?

Started by DoubleDlover, February 20, 2013, 12:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

is a 70 440 balancer pressed on or slips on and held by that bold like a pontiac?? thanks

MSRacing89

Both.  It slips on and is bolted.  It would need a balancer puller to remove after was it is tightened on and torqued properly.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

metalstorm440

when you go to pull the balancer you may need to put a washer under the nose that pushes on the crank so the tip won't rock in the taper in the nose of the crank and sometimes you need to tap the balancer with a mallot/hammer to shock it to get loose.To get the crank bolt loose you may need to shock it also with a hammer on the box wrench.

DoubleDlover

hi ok. So it just slips all the way on and just has a slight press fit at the very end when you tighten the bolt? Or is it a slight press fit the whole way but just a light press fit. Instead of a heavy press fit like a chevy? thanks

metalstorm440

The whole way but some may be tighter than others.

HeavyFuel

Maybe it was just mine, but the balancer manufacturer directed to heat it up to achieve expansion, then install quickly using the washer/nut.  It was tight the whole way, even with heating it.

metalstorm440

I put mine in very hot water and that way the heat will not effect the rubber inside the ballancer.