News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tail light Gasket sealant

Started by sanders7981, March 02, 2013, 12:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

Yesterday I disassembled my 69 tail lights to replace the lenses with ones that are in better condition than mine.  I know there is a lens to housing gasket, but could I just use some RTV silicone sealant instead? 

ODZKing

Permatex makes an rtv/gasket maker. Yeah, it'll work.

sanders7981

Quote from: ODZKing on March 02, 2013, 01:11:20 PM

Cool, that will save me some wait time.  I want to try and get these put together and on the car before I deploy.

twodko

Quote from: ODZKing on March 02, 2013, 01:11:20 PM

You'll be better off buying a set of gaskets instead of any kind of sealant. Using sealant will make removing the assembly later on a real bitch.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

ODZKing

That is why I suggested the gasket maker, it makes almost a rubber gasket that you can remove with out too much trouble.

sanders7981

I picked up some permatex grey gasket maker... Not the sealant.  Finished up the tail lights earlier today.  Now they are fresh and new! 

twodko

I wa unaware of such an animal. I'm going pick some up....seems it would be useful to have around the shop. Thanks OZ.

ODZKing

Yep, I used it on the valve covers.  I had a hell of a time trying to get the passenger rear to stop leaking oil.
This did it!  I got the black stuff, but same thing.   :2thumbs:

twodko