News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has any tried this tire on the back?

Started by preid, February 27, 2013, 09:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

preid

Has anyone tried Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R 28X12R15 and can share a pic?
Curious how well it fills the wheel well, stance you got, and what sizing was chosen (wheel width, BS, etc).

thanks!

HPP

I've got 26x12x15 SRs on my Challenger with a 10" rim. They aren't bad, but are a bit short. The 28s might fill things out a bit better. IMO, a 9.5" wheel would also produce a more traditional sidewall curve than a 10" rim, so it would look better. For fitment, I'd say 5 to 5.5" backspace on a 9.5" to 10" rim would work on a Charger.

preid

Quote from: HPP on February 27, 2013, 10:45:00 AM
I've got 26x12x15 SRs on my Challenger with a 10" rim. They aren't bad, but are a bit short. The 28s might fill things out a bit better. IMO, a 9.5" wheel would also produce a more traditional sidewall curve than a 10" rim, so it would look better. For fitment, I'd say 5 to 5.5" backspace on a 9.5" to 10" rim would work on a Charger.

Thanks HPP,
Yeah, I agree the 26" is too short.  What I'm trying to do is get something wider than a 275/60 but not as tall as the 30" 295/65.  28" (maybe even 29") is the height I want to give me the lift in the back.  Have you had any handeling or wear issues?  I know these won't last real long either.

Paul 

Dino

Hey Paul, why not get the 275/60 and a rim with a bit less backspace to bring the tire closer to the quarter?  You will still have a wide tire but not so wide that you feel you're gone skiing.  The height will give you a nice stance in combo with say a 235/60 up front, and I think it'll look great!

Just a thought.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

HPP

I went with the 26 tires because that produces an aspect ratio close to 45, which should reduce the sidewall deflection compared to the 55 aspect of the 28" tall version. Handling with the tall version should be no better or worse than any other 2 ply sidewall street radial. Talking to MT directly, they are saying these tires should see around 15,000 miles, provided you use them normally without burnouts all the time.

preid

Quote from: Dino on February 27, 2013, 02:10:48 PM
Hey Paul, why not get the 275/60 and a rim with a bit less backspace to bring the tire closer to the quarter?  You will still have a wide tire but not so wide that you feel you're gone skiing.  The height will give you a nice stance in combo with say a 235/60 up front, and I think it'll look great!

Just a thought.

Hey Dirk,
Good to hear from you, been awhile. 
Thats a good point and I am leaning toward that very combo but I wouldn't mind having a tire that is even wider than the 275/60 (I like 295/50 but its just not tall enough).  Looks like a 4.5 BS on a 9" wheel for the 275/60 gets it about 3/4" from lip.  The front end of the car is adjusted up a bit more than normal so I have to over come that as well.  I'd rather not mess w/ adjusting torsion bars and re-aligning front end but I will if I have to.

BTW, I haven't been able to keep up w/ much on here, did you fix the smell of fuel inside the car?

Paul

preid

Quote from: HPP on February 27, 2013, 03:54:51 PM
I went with the 26 tires because that produces an aspect ratio close to 45, which should reduce the sidewall deflection compared to the 55 aspect of the 28" tall version. Handling with the tall version should be no better or worse than any other 2 ply sidewall street radial. Talking to MT directly, they are saying these tires should see around 15,000 miles, provided you use them normally without burnouts all the time.

Ok, makes sense.  Thanks for the info, sir!

Dino

Quote from: preid on February 27, 2013, 09:32:56 PM

Just a thought.

Hey Dirk,
Thats a good point and I am leaning toward that very combo but I wouldn't mind having a tire that is even wider than the 275/60 (I like 295/50 but its just not tall enough).  Looks like a 4.5 BS on a 9" wheel for the 275/60 gets it about 3/4" from lip.  The front end of the car is adjusted up a bit more than normal so I have to over come that as well.  I'd rather not mess w/ adjusting torsion bars and re-aligning front end but I will if I have to.

BTW, I haven't been able to keep up w/ much on here, did you fix the smell of fuel inside the car?

Paul

Nope, it's still smelling.   :eek2:

I started a thread on it so I have a few things to try before I replace everything fuel related.

I like the 295 width as well but the height ratio is not as nice as the 275/60.  Do they still make 295/60 tires?  Those should be about 29" tall.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

preid

Quote from: Dino on February 28, 2013, 07:56:01 AM
Quote from: preid on February 27, 2013, 09:32:56 PM

Just a thought.

Hey Dirk,

Paul

Nope, it's still smelling.   :eek2:

I started a thread on it so I have a few things to try before I replace everything fuel related.

I like the 295 width as well but the height ratio is not as nice as the 275/60.  Do they still make 295/60 tires?  Those should be about 29" tall.

Ugh, sorry to hear about the fuel - that stinks (no pun really intended :).  No, I don't see 295/60 anywhere, be nice.  There are several drag radials that are close, fairly wide and 28" to 29", I think the size I mentioned above is a good compromise but would like to see how it looks on a charger before I go and buy them. 

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

this is mine 295 50 15    10 with 5 back

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

preid

Quote from: cdr on February 28, 2013, 12:52:13 PM
link to  295 60 15
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hoo-17125

Yes, I have seen this before in a Hoosier but given all the warnings listed in link, didn't think it was a good idea for street/highway use.
http://www.hoosiertire.com/specdrag.htm#QUICK%20TIME

BTW, thanks for the pic of your set up, what size and BS did you use on the front?

cdr

Wheel, Auto Drag, Aluminum, Natural, 15 in. x 7 in., 5 x 4.50 in. Bolt Circle, 3.313 in. Backspace,