News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing Engine-Transmission

Started by john108, February 24, 2013, 02:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

I would appreciate help with a few basic questions:
1968 Charger – 440eng – 727 Tranny.
On other posts, it was recommended to remove the eng/tranny as an assembly.

To remove the drive shaft, what is the recommended procedure?
Disconnect rear U-Joint and pull assembly out of the tranny?  OR Disconnect both U-Joints and leave the spline section in the tranny?  OR Something Else??

2nd Question:  It had been recommended to drain the oil from the transmission so it doesn't drain out of the back when removing the assembly.  There are no drain plugs that I can see.  How is it normally done??

3rd Question:  The 3rd motor mount under the rear of the transmission.  I have to jack the car higher to be able to see better but I would appreciate advice on which bolts to remove and anything else in the way?

Thank You - John

Cooter

Quote from: john108 on February 24, 2013, 02:10:05 PM
I would appreciate help with a few basic questions:
1968 Charger – 440eng – 727 Tranny.
On other posts, it was recommended to remove the eng/tranny as an assembly.

To remove the drive shaft, what is the recommended procedure?Remove rear U-joint first, then slide out of trans, but you may want to drain trans first.
 Disconnect both U-Joints and leave the spline section in the tranny?  OR Something Else??Many have an old yoke to stick into the back of trans to keep fluid from coming out.

2nd Question:  It had been recommended to drain the oil from the transmission so it doesn't drain out of the back when removing the assembly.  There are no drain plugs that I can see.  How is it normally done??Remove pan and make a huge mess.

3rd Question:  The 3rd motor mount under the rear of the transmission.  I have to jack the car higher to be able to see better but I would appreciate advice on which bolts to remove and anything else in the way?Two bolts in rear tailshaft housing. Then, remove four cross bolts through crossmember. Put floor jack under trans until ready to remove Engine/trans. Better if you have a buddy/buddies helping.

Thank You - John
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

To keep from making too big of a mess, loosen your tranny pan bolts gradually one at a time, little by little.  Start by breaking them loose, then turn each one a half a turn or a full turn.  Keep doing this until you remove a couple bolts.  That will allow your pan to drop down allow the fluid to drain out.  Best if you start at a corner.

It can be a messy job, but taking your time will minimize it greatly.  Best of luck :2thumbs:

john108

john108

It went as recommended.
I easily loosened the trans pan bolts and the fluid oosed out and dripped to a catch basin.  Then I was able to remove all but 3 bolts and tilt the pan to remove more fluid.  Then I pushed it up and removed the remaining bolts and tilted the pan to pour out the remaining fluid. I cleaned and replaced the pan.

Then I went to the rear U-joint and removed the 2 clamps holding the bearings.  It was a little difficult as my nose kept rubbing the mufflers and 1 clamp was not at a good angle.  The surprise came when I pulled the drive shaft and yoke out of the transmission.  About a cup of fluid poured out that I was not prepared for.  The shaft was lighted than I expected and I am happy with the result. 
Thanks again.

Question:  When the engine/trans assy are lifted out, will more fluid pour out of the tranny?
Question:  What is the function of the wire attached to the drivers side of the transmission?
Question:  What is the function of the wire attached to a component the size of 1/2 lemon on the rear of the engine below the intake manifold (oil pressure???).

bobs66440

Quote from: john108 on February 27, 2013, 01:05:48 PM
It went as recommended.
I easily loosened the trans pan bolts and the fluid oosed out and dripped to a catch basin.  Then I was able to remove all but 3 bolts and tilt the pan to remove more fluid.  Then I pushed it up and removed the remaining bolts and tilted the pan to pour out the remaining fluid. I cleaned and replaced the pan.

Then I went to the rear U-joint and removed the 2 clamps holding the bearings.  It was a little difficult as my nose kept rubbing the mufflers and 1 clamp was not at a good angle.  The surprise came when I pulled the drive shaft and yoke out of the transmission.  About a cup of fluid poured out that I was not prepared for.  The shaft was lighted than I expected and I am happy with the result.  
Thanks again.

Question:  When the engine/trans assy are lifted out, will more fluid pour out of the tranny? Probably. Wrap the tail shaft housing with a plastic bag. It may help keep the mess to a minimum. Also, use a load leveler when pulling the engine and trans together. It will go MUCH easier.
Question:  What is the function of the wire attached to the drivers side of the transmission? Reverse lights.
Question:  What is the function of the wire attached to a component the size of 1/2 lemon on the rear of the engine below the intake manifold (oil pressure???).Yes.

Load Leveler
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-heavy-duty-load-leveler-5402.html

Take your time and get a helper and it will go fine.  :2thumbs: