News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which CompCam for 318 cui -

Started by Kenneth, February 03, 2013, 09:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenneth

I going to install a Edelbrock 1406 Carburetor and Edelbrock Performer intake manifold on my 318 CUI (72 Dodge Charger - AT - PS - PB).
In this context, I interested to hear your advise and opinion of which  CompCam I shall mount to get a mild / middle tuning ( not some kind of tuning that smash my 904 tran or my 8 3/4 rear axle) - I do not run race - but just interested in some more power and better sound.
Next step will be to install 360 heads (when I have more money) so please have this in mind of advise and recommendations of the CompCam - 318 cui with 318 heads and 318 cui with 360 heads.
best regards

Kenneth

Cooter

For that heavy car, I'd stay somewhere in the 220 @ .050 on duration and somewhere as close to .500 lift as I could get.
With the small bore of the 318 (3.910) you can't run huge valves for fear of them hitting the cylinder walls. I'd also check out some of the builds on the Mopar Muscle Mag. Website. They made like 400 HP with a pretty tame little 318.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

chargd72

I have 340 Resto Cam .464/.464 lift in my 318.  Sounds great and has some good power.  Especially when you get up in the 3k rpm range.  Be careful with adding 360 heads.  You might loose some compression and kill your already weak low end.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp-Cams/249/20-309-4/10002/-1?parentProductId=

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

johnnyseville

Quote from: Kenneth on February 03, 2013, 09:23:34 AM
I going to install a Edelbrock 1406 Carburetor and Edelbrock Performer intake manifold on my 318 CUI (72 Dodge Charger - AT - PS - PB).
In this context, I interested to hear your advise and opinion of which  CompCam I shall mount to get a mild / middle tuning ( not some kind of tuning that smash my 904 tran or my 8 3/4 rear axle) - I do not run race - but just interested in some more power and better sound.
Next step will be to install 360 heads (when I have more money) so please have this in mind of advise and recommendations of the CompCam - 318 cui with 318 heads and 318 cui with 360 heads.

Check the Comp Cams website or call them.  They have the Thumpr Series cams, they are slightly warmed over but due to the lobe centers they are ground on, the sound is like a bigger cam, best of both worlds.  Really good for a street engine.
too many to list!

Kenneth

thanks for inputs - welcomes more - I have fun if I can keep everything (almost) original but just optimize it - easier perhaps should be larger engine and etc - but I have matching numbers throughout the driveline,  I think it would be a shame to lose that detail
best regards

Kenneth

firefighter3931

I'd run a Lunati 256/262 split pattern grind with that 318 in a heavy car using the stock tq converter  :yesnod:

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2341&gid=297

As for the heads ; look for a set of later 302 castings with the high swirl chamber. A 360 casting will have a large combustion chamber and drop the static compression ratio too low which will hurt low end power & throttle response.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger340

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 05, 2013, 11:34:18 AM
I'd run a Lunati 256/262 split pattern grind with that 318 in a heavy car using the stock tq converter  :yesnod:

As for the heads ; look for a set of later 302 castings with the high swirl chamber. A 360 casting will have a large combustion chamber and drop the static compression ratio too low which will hurt low end power & throttle response.  :P

Ron

:Twocents:
BINGO !!
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Kenneth

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 05, 2013, 11:34:18 AM
I'd run a Lunati 256/262 split pattern grind with that 318 in a heavy car using the stock tq converter  :yesnod:

As for the heads ; look for a set of later 302 castings with the high swirl chamber. A 360 casting will have a large combustion chamber and drop the static compression ratio too low which will hurt low end power & throttle response.  :P

Ron

Sounds interesting - tell a little more about the 302 castings -  do they fit directly on my 318 and can I use my Edelbrock Performer intake without changes ?

If I mount 302 castings should I then be looking on another Comp Cam?
best regards

Kenneth

chargd72

Yes, 302s will bolt right on.  The closed chamber design will bump up the compression to make up for the 'deep in the hole' pistons.  The only cons to these heads are small runners and small valves.  I have a set on my 318.  I had to port the intake runners to match my air gap manifold but I believe the runners should match up nicely without porting with a performer manifold.  I also ported the small exhaust runners.  Then I upgraded to 1.88/1.60 valves vs the stock 1.78/1.50.  This combo with headers, 600 cfm carb, and the 340 resto cam I recommended earlier I have a tough little 318 that can move pretty well.  

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

chargd72

Mine after enlarged valves and resurfaced.  Notice the closed chamber design.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Kenneth on February 09, 2013, 12:42:38 PM

Sounds interesting - tell a little more about the 302 castings -  do they fit directly on my 318 and can I use my Edelbrock Performer intake without changes ?

As mentioned above, the 302's are a direct bolt on and have a smaller/improved chamber that will bump up the anemic static compression and flow better. Commonly available on mid 90's 318 cars/trucks. The performer will bolt right up  :2thumbs:

Quote from: Kenneth on February 09, 2013, 12:42:38 PM
If I mount 302 castings should I then be looking on another Comp Cam?

I would still use the Lunati VooDoo cam i linked to above. You have a small engine and a heavy car ; you need torque and midrange power to get that beast moving !  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

chargd72

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 11, 2013, 01:54:47 PM

I would still use the Lunati VooDoo cam i linked to above. You have a small engine and a heavy car ; you need torque and midrange power to get that beast moving !  :yesnod:

Ron

The numbers are pretty close for TQ between the two.  I think the VooDoo will peak maybe 500 rpm sooner. 

Kenneth

thanks for the many good input - I have now found how my setup should be; Edelbrock 1406 carburetor, Edelbrock Performer intake, CompCam High Energy Cam 20-212-2, 302 cast heads and Headman hedders - with this combo I can boost the original engine up and have some fun under the hood and still retain most of the original
best regards

Kenneth

Kenneth

maybe stupid question - but these 302 castings are available either in aluminum or steel?
best regards

Kenneth

firefighter3931

Quote from: Kenneth on February 17, 2013, 10:59:14 AM
maybe stupid question - but these 302 castings are available either in aluminum or steel?

Cast iron production cylinder head.....mid 90's 5.2l (318) engines.

Ron