News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another A/C - heater question

Started by BY RSCO, February 11, 2013, 02:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BY RSCO

So here is the issue of the day now... I am looking into heating & a/c - the car (69 charger) is a factory A/C car. The Heater box is borderline needing gone through, and I am seriously debating jsut diong a whole new vintage air system. As we know, they do not make a system specefic for our cars, but they do have a universal kit that will work well. I do not want to do away with my stock controls, but they (vintage air) says they cannot be intergrated to the new system. At the least, I will be looking into a newer style compressor is I can bring my heater / A/C back form the dead. The thread here is great on a rebuild, but I simply do not have the time to do it myself. Just open for thoughts & ideas. Thanks

Dino

Quote from: BY RSCO on February 11, 2013, 02:24:40 PM
So here is the issue of the day now... I am looking into heating & a/c - the car (69 charger) is a factory A/C car. The Heater box is borderline needing gone through, and I am seriously debating jsut diong a whole new vintage air system. As we know, they do not make a system specefic for our cars, but they do have a universal kit that will work well. I do not want to do away with my stock controls, but they (vintage air) says they cannot be intergrated to the new system. At the least, I will be looking into a newer style compressor is I can bring my heater / A/C back form the dead. The thread here is great on a rebuild, but I simply do not have the time to do it myself. Just open for thoughts & ideas. Thanks

What do you have in regards to the stock A/C system?  If you still have the hard lines then you can just buy the upgrade kit.  Compressor, r134a ready hoses, condenser, drier, expansion valve.  Your stock controls will still work.  If you buy a complete system then it comes with dedicated controls, however you 'may' be able to adapt the stock controls.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BY RSCO

Quote from: Dino on February 11, 2013, 02:29:35 PM

What do you have in regards to the stock A/C system?  If you still have the hard lines then you can just buy the upgrade kit.  Compressor, r134a ready hoses, condenser, drier, expansion valve.  Your stock controls will still work.  If you buy a complete system then it comes with dedicated controls, however you 'may' be able to adapt the stock controls.

I do still have the hard lines, but they are in questionable condition (which I would imagine that I may be able to pick up some better ones here possibly)Where is the best place to get the upgrade kit? (which vintage air may have it, not sure). Thanks

Dino

Quote from: BY RSCO on February 11, 2013, 02:34:20 PM
Quote from: Dino on February 11, 2013, 02:29:35 PM

I do still have the hard lines, but they are in questionable condition (which I would imagine that I may be able to pick up some better ones here possibly)Where is the best place to get the upgrade kit? (which vintage air may have it, not sure). Thanks

There you go:
http://www.classicautoair.com/Mopar_Air_Conditioning_Mopar_AC.html#engine

BY RSCO

Dino

I messed with the remains of my stock system for a while and then finally gave up.  I didn't trust the old rubber hoses or the old compressor and I really prefer to run r134a over r12 so I retained the hard lines and upgraded the rest.  You can shop around and buy most of the components seperately or from different vendors, the lines and hoses would be all you really needed from the A/C guys if you're on a budget.  Compressors are on ebay all day long, expansion valve and drier are something like $20 each from any auto parts store, got mine from Rockauto.  Condenser can be the stock type or aftermarket, as long as you can make it fit it'll work.

BY RSCO

My stock box will definitely need gone through. I jsut got off the phone with classic auto air. They charger just under $500.00 to go through the stock unit, the upgrade kit is $800 and some change. I will definitely have them go through my old unit, and then probably shop around for the rest. the engine compartment is giong to look a bit more modern / upgraded, so I want a nice compressor in there as well. Thanks again for your help.

Dino

Quote from: BY RSCO on February 11, 2013, 03:04:00 PM
My stock box will definitely need gone through. I jsut got off the phone with classic auto air. They charger just under $500.00 to go through the stock unit, the upgrade kit is $800 and some change. I will definitely have them go through my old unit, and then probably shop around for the rest. the engine compartment is giong to look a bit more modern / upgraded, so I want a nice compressor in there as well. Thanks again for your help.

You're most welcome.

The heater box kit is close to $200 so that's not bad at all!