News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dana 60 help

Started by cowboy4x4n, February 04, 2013, 04:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy4x4n

Guys,

I have been looking for an 8 3/4 for my b body 69 to replace the 8 1/4.  I came across this Dana 60 that the owner claimed was 3.54 posi.  He told me the measurements were 55 1/4 from backing plate to backing plate, 44 1/2 perch to perch and 61" from outside to outside.  I asked what the rear came out of and he said a pickup but unknown year.  I saw the pictures look decent but the perches would  need to be moved below and if im not mistaken it has the larger 5x5 patter instead of the 4 x 5 that i have.  Will this rear end work for my car.

Thanks

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

cowboy4x4n

johnnyseville

You can convert one for your car, but will need some work.  The axle tubes are too long, so you will have to cut them and weld on proper Mopar ends.  Mounting pads will have to be cut off and replace them with a new set of compatible perches.   Also required would be a set of aftermarket axles.  Most trucks  have an open differential so you will have to  purchase a limited slip and a new set of gears, also a new yoke.  Is is worth the price and effort, not sure.
too many to list!

Cooter

I prefer to cut down the GM/Ford/Chrysler 3/4 Ton..Lemme say that again, 3/4 TON ONLY, to make my Dana 60's.
They are so easy to convert it should be against the law. Mine only cost me around $350.00 total with all new brakes. Got my "Tru-Trac" (Term for Sure grip Dana 60), for $100.00 all day long. Sometimes, for free as nobody wants to convert them.

YES, they have the SAME SPLINE as the 8 3/4 axles, so all you are really gaining is the center ring gear for strength, but when an 8 3/4 "489" "Sure Grip" costs anywhere from $400-$650 Plus shipping, I'll run my "Homemade" dana 60 anytime.

There is NO BOLT IN DANAS unless you PAY OUT THE ASS for them out of an original car. IMO, $1500.00 for a USED rearend is rediculous. Even NEW ones with rear disc brakes.
Rich guys game there. Let the purists have at them. I prefer rear drum anyway. I don't carve canyons, so no need for rear discs.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

randy73

Quote from: cowboy4x4n on February 04, 2013, 04:47:58 PM
Guys,

I have been looking for an 8 3/4 for my b body 69 to replace the 8 1/4.  I came across this Dana 60 that the owner claimed was 3.54 posi.  He told me the measurements were 55 1/4 from backing plate to backing plate, 44 1/2 perch to perch and 61" from outside to outside.  I asked what the rear came out of and he said a pickup but unknown year.  I saw the pictures look decent but the perches would  need to be moved below and if im not mistaken it has the larger 5x5 patter instead of the 4 x 5 that i have.  Will this rear end work for my car.

Thanks

Just out of curiosity, why are you wanting a different rearend?
8 1/4's can be made to handle a lot of power, just my  :Twocents:

cowboy4x4n

well I keep getting conflicting statements from people about the 8 1/4.  they say why build an 8 1/4 it wont last and will cost the same as an 8 3/4.  I get the 8 1/4 wont last behind warmed over small block.  I get the, if you upgrade to a big block later you will need a larger rear.  If you can build an 8 1/4 for more strength please share I am all ears.  I would love to make it work.  But i also want more gear.  Its a daily driver and sees freeway speeds alot so maybe 3.23 sure gripped if possible.

Cooter

Quote from: cowboy4x4n on February 06, 2013, 03:17:08 PM
well I keep getting conflicting statements from people about the 8 1/4.  they say why build an 8 1/4 it wont last and will cost the same as an 8 3/4.  I get the 8 1/4 wont last behind warmed over small block.  I get the, if you upgrade to a big block later you will need a larger rear.  If you can build an 8 1/4 for more strength please share I am all ears.  I would love to make it work.  But i also want more gear.  Its a daily driver and sees freeway speeds alot so maybe 3.23 sure gripped if possible.

As long as you don't plan on ever beating on your ride, Doing any kind of holeshots, never doing a burnout, etc. you will be fine with the 8 1/4 rear.

However, if you are the 1% of owners who actually don't do this at least once in a while, I guarantee nothing with the 8 1/4...
Hell, even an 8 3/4 with slicks is on borrowed time if done regularly and with stock parts.
The Dana 60 I mentioned? It's on borrowed time if run continuously with slicks and my 4-speed, but for $400.00, I'll just repair/replace it when the time comes.
Parts for the 8 1/4 rear are pricey(Gears) VS the more popular 8 3/4 and Dana.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cowboy4x4n

tires are too expensive for burn outs lol.  This is my dd car that see the freeway most of the time.  I would like my rear to withstand a healthy small block and the occasional getting on it.