News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trans shifted at 6800 rpm

Started by lasvegas69charg, February 06, 2013, 09:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lasvegas69charg

I got up on it yesterday for the first time from a start and I stayed in it until it shifted and it shifted at 6800 rpm. Talk about freaking out. I have the trans linkage adjusted for full engage at full throttle. My trans guy told me that I have the linkage engaged too much. He said I need to shorten the rod on the carb 2 turns at a time until I get the shift point at 5500 rpm. Is this right? I had the trans rebuilt but he said he didn't touch the governor and before it shifted at 5500 rpm. What was amazing that the car kept pulling at that rpm.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

acelondon

wow! My 318-727 combo never shifts over 4500. It sounds like its going to explode there! Defiantly need a rebuild... 5500 sounds like a safe shift point for a healthy engine.

lasvegas69charg

69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

acelondon

Then set it as high as your engine builder deems safe! :D :drive:

Cooter

Was a "Shift Kit" installed? If so, one of the many different springs could have been installed in the valve body causing the higher than normal shift points.

Hell, I'd be amazed if i could get one of my 1974-1978 727's to shift that high.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

lasvegas69charg

Yes he installed a bandm shift kit. Will the adjusting of the linkage adjust the shifting. If I am on it full throttle and when it gets to 5500 rpm I let off the gas a little then floor it again it shifts otherwise it will shift at 6800

John_Kunkel

Quote from: lasvegas69charg on February 06, 2013, 09:34:11 AM
I had the trans rebuilt but he said he didn't touch the governor and before it shifted at 5500 rpm.

If he didn't touch the governor and the WOT shift rpm changed 1300 rpm there's probably some pressure leakage in the governor circuit.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

oldkimmer

............how radical is ur engine............maybe ur tac is crazy...................kim........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lasvegas69charg

engine isn't radical.  383  .03 bored dish pistons, edelbrock heads, rpm intake and edelbrock 7194 cam, msd  ready to run dist, quick fuel 750 vac sec carb. I have a aftermarket tach that I'm going to hookup and compare with the factory tach.

lasvegas69charg

I have a rpm intake with a quick fuel using the the proper throttle bracket. I am also using mancinni raised bracket. Are there other  people on this site using similar set up with stock kickdown linkage and working properly?

lasvegas69charg

got it fixed. Now she shifts at 5300.  I had the kickdown over adjusted.