News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When did you get your first Muscle Car??

Started by johnnyseville, February 04, 2013, 09:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz73Chrgr

August 2004.  Right before my senior year of highschool.  1994 Firebird Formula.  Newer muscle.

Well, March 2003 actually is when my Dad and I brought the Charger home.  We've never had it on the road though.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

charger490

may of 1968 it was ordered in nov67  i paid 3800. for it and drove it to may of1969 and was hit head on so that was the end of that one.
when i picked the car up it needed gas so i went and filled it up and the kid in the gas station wanted to know what an old man 40  years old want with a car like this.i said wait for it and i got in and floored it out of there leaving 2 black marks

moparstuart

Quote from: charger490 on February 07, 2013, 11:12:31 AM
may of 1968 it was ordered in nov67  i paid 3800. for it and drove it to may of1969 and was hit head on so that was the end of that one.
when i picked the car up it needed gas so i went and filled it up and the kid in the gas station wanted to know what an old man 40  years old want with a car like this.i said wait for it and i got in and floored it out of there leaving 2 black marks
glad your still here and kicking   :icon_smile_big:   I was two months old when you got the car   :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ram07

Quote from: moparstuart on February 07, 2013, 02:06:35 PM
Quote from: charger490 on February 07, 2013, 11:12:31 AM
glad your still here and kicking   :icon_smile_big:   I was two months old when you got the car   :nana:

I was 5... :icon_smile_big:

FC7 V code

The spring of 1982, a new Pontiac Trans Am. I was 23 and Mopar didn't have much in the way of performance at the time. After a couple of weeks I came to the conclusion the TA was all flash with no dash and I started searching for a 68-70 Charger. Bought a 70 Charger RT/SE in the summer of 83 and drove it till fall. Then I started working on the Charger and finally got it fixed up into a respectable condition by the spring of 85.
I got so lonesome for a hot Mopar that I bought a 383 Chally SE in the summer of 84 to drive while the Charger was being re-built, for the ungodly price of $500.00. What a deal, drove the hell out of it until about 1987 and one hot late summer night tore the whole exhaust system off while going all Baja on a dirt road. Stuck the Chally in the pole barn and bought an AAR. The AAR was in decent shape for 1987 standards and I treated it a lot better than the old Chally. Still have all of them and a couple summers ago my Son talked me into getting the Challenger out running and now we have started a resto on it. Sure an heck is gonna cost a little more that my original purchase price :yesnod:.     
That damn Trans Am is still in my possession with the grand total of about 17k miles on it ;D. I think my Wife and Son have put about 7k of the miles on it. Once I got into the Chargers and E-bodies the Trans Am felt a like a toy and I hardly used it after 1988 or so.
1968 Chrysler 300
1969 Charger
1969 Charger RT/SE
1970 Charger RT/SE
1970 Cuda AAR
1970 Challenger SE
1970 Roadrunner
1982 Trans Am

Bob T

January 2002 aged 33. Australian Chrysler Valiant Charger R/T 265 6pk & 4 speed in Mercury Silver, would do 14.1 1/4. Had a V8 panelvan and a V8 race boat in my 20's but they don't count as muscle cars
Had only been married a year and had brought a first house so the car came along after that stuff. Had it for 2 years and sold it to put the money into the business.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

grdprx

My first and only muscle car is my Charger. Got it August 2007. Big project, got it as a rolling chassis; now it's a running rolling restoration!  Haha

Nwcharger

me and my brothers where big into mopar at a young age do to them duke boys and dmcl and vanashing point. my first was a 1968 charger around 1995 or 96 so i was 11 or 12 years old. my brother found  a 68 charger in the neighbor hood while riding his bike, he would ride by it all the time and stop and check it out. one day he was checking it out and the owner came outside and asked my brother if he lived at the house down the road with the brown power wagon in the driveway, my brother said yes and the truck belonged to my father. they starting talking and my brother made a deal with the guy to trade our dads powerwagon for the 68 charger and another 68 charger in the garage that was striped but had all the parts minus the motor/trans and front seats. my brother raced home on his bike and told my dad about the trade. my dad was really pissed off and told my brother that was only 12 or 13 that people are scammers and to not try and make deals on things that dont belong to him. my brother would not let it go and continued to bother my father for hours and finally to shut my brother up he they got in the powerwagon and drove it to the house of the charger owner to show my brother it was not true. long story short my dad and brother towed the charger in the garage 3 blocks our house with the powerwagon, drove it back and came home in the running charger. the extra car went to my brother and the runner my father kept. soon after my brother lost interest in the car and we traded something i dont remember, probably bmx parts or something for the car. in the summer of 98 we moved from portland to denver and my dad told me the car was not coming and i had to sell it or he will. i talk to a friends mom and was able to store the car in her garage until i found a way to move it to denver. it sat in my friends garage until  late 1999 early 2000 when i got a got a call from my friend and she said her mom got married and the new husband wants the car out or his newly acquired garage. i had 2 weeks to move or sell the car. i ended up selling the car for 150 bucks to a father and son. sucked really bad. now i own 6 mopars and im always looking for more.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
1969 coronet wagon

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

lloyd3

Spring of 1979, got my very first car. 1970 Roadrunner, lime green, bone stock 383 magnum auto. black and silver interior, 8-track player. Paid $500 for it. Car had 4-lbs of bondo in the front fenders and rear wheelwells (Pennsylvania!), didn't matter because it ran great. Cherry bomb glass pack mufflers made it sound even better. I'm sure my neighbors loved me.

John_Kunkel

I can't answer the question until somebody comes up with an indisputed definition of what constitutes a "muscle car". Some of the cars mentioned here would be "pony cars" by some definitions.

I consider my '63 Max Wedge (purchased in '65) to be a muscle car but many don't....it was my first.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

charger_fan_4ever

Summer 1993 bought  two 70 dusters. One a 6 cyl with a nice body and the other a rotted 340. Plans were to stuff the 340 drivetrain into the six banger body and it be a prom car. Got the 6 banger primed underneath and on the outside. Things stalled and i ended up selling it back around 2002 unfinished.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 12, 2013, 04:28:21 PM
I can't answer the question until somebody comes up with an indisputed definition of what constitutes a "muscle car". Some of the cars mentioned here would be "pony cars" by some definitions.

I consider my '63 Max Wedge (purchased in '65) to be a muscle car but many don't....it was my first.
I would consider it a muscle car. Do you still have it, post some pictures.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

OldGuy

1969, I was 22 years old and bought a 1968 Charger R/T - QQ1, black vinyl top, white BB stripe, black interior, 440, auto trans.  The guy I bought it from bought it new the year before for around $4,300.  He and his wife were getting ready to have a baby, so he had to unload it.  Bought it for $2,600.  Had it until 1970 when gas shot up to 32 cents per gallon for premium and insurance went up.  Traded it for a 1968 Malibu plus had to kick in $400 so the dealer would take it off my hands.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

kidsixpack

I got mine in 1986 at the age of 19.  A 440 six pack 4spd. red coupe with black buckets and a white tailstripe.
KID
69 1/2 Super Bee V2 buckets console 4spd with radio delete.
1987 Grand National Low miles original
1989 TTA Low miles light mods
95 Lightning Light mods
95 Bronco Sport low miles Lifted light mods

Ponch ®

Got the '74 Charger in 2001, I was still 20. But then I got on the interwebs and found out I didn't have a "real muscle car" because it was a 74, and it had a 318, and a 2bbl, and a hood ornament and blah blah...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Budnicks

1974 I was 15 y/o, got a near perfect 1968 Charger R/T 440ci 4bbl w/727 auto & 3.55:1/8.75" rear, dark green with Black vinyl top & Black bucket seat w/console interior, for $350, from a hot younger neighbor lady, 20 something single mother divorcée, that lived in our neighborhood, I mowed lawns for...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Indygenerallee

1996 I was 17 I bought a 1972 Dodge Challenger 360... Six pack hoodscoop, Viper blue, tore it apart and never ran again!!  :lol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

areibel

I bought my first Charger in  Aug. 1977, it was a '71, a lovely shade of dark green (like F8 but it was something else on the tag, like F9?), 318 auto.  I beat the heck out of it until the spring of 1978 when I jumped it about 30 feet down into a field.  Actually would have been fixable if I would have known, but it went to Earl Murphy's Junkyard  :'(  Spent $200, got $50 out of it.

I had an experience like Cooter's too- After a couple weeks of borrowing Mom's 74 Fury she decided I had to find another car.  We went to look at a 70 challenger nearby- what a beauty!  No rust (real unusual for a PA car 8 years old), black, 340 console auto, headers and a custom velour interior, all for $1000!   But when we took it for a test drive the woman selling it kept barking the tires at every stop sign, telling me about how she ran the local Vette and beat it, how her cousin was hurt when he wrecked his Chevelle- that was all it took with Momma in the back seat.  We politely said good bye, I was stioll hopeful but the minute we pulled out of her driveway Mom says "No way in Hell!", and I'd never heard Mom swear before!  I knew she meant it!

AKcharger

I was 16 in 1981 bought a 318 Duster for $300 put a 4 speed and 8 3/4 in it
1982 - 1970 Charger 383 4 bbl for $350 good but rusty
1983 - 1972 318 Challanger for $900...then traded it for a '70 340 4 speed duster...then traded that for a '73 440 Roadrunner (Chick came with the deal)

1984 - I then traded Road runer back for my Challanger
       - Sold Challanger, bought Mustang Cobra II
...Then I went overseas for the next 23 years

dads_69

Oh gees Bill. I dated a chic 20 years that has a Cobra like that. She thought her car was scary fast, until I gave her a ride in my 69' charger at 140 mph!  :2thumbs:
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

moparstuart

Quote from: AKcharger on April 12, 2013, 11:14:21 PM
I was 16 in 1981 bought a 318 Duster for $300 put a 4 speed and 8 3/4 in it
1982 - 1970 Charger 383 4 bbl for $350 good but rusty
1983 - 1972 318 Challanger for $900...then traded it for a '70 340 4 speed duster...then traded that for a '73 440 Roadrunner (Chick came with the deal)

1984 - I then traded Road runer back for my Challanger
       - Sold Challanger, bought Mustang Cobra II
...Then I went overseas for the next 23 years

So when you traded the road runner back for the challenger , did you have to trade the chick back too   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

dstryr

From sometime in '84 through spring of '86 I looked at a 73 340 'cuda, 72 383 Challenger, a 70 AAR, a 69 RR hdtp, 69 RR coupe, 67 Sat, then with not much money to spend on a car since most was saved for college, I bought a 69 GTO w/ 4speed. 
I drove that car for a few years then parked it for most of 15 more, bought 3 parts/projects, and then finally a #s Judge.  In Nov '02 I finally picked up my first mopar.  Sold the first 4 GTOs in '05 and have kept my RR & Judge.
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

ws23rt

This thread should have been titled How old are you?. I was 19 when I bought a 69 super bee 383 4sp. My first new car. Drove it hard for 11 months and 36000 miles. Had to roll it back to 28000 to give it back to the finance co.

AKcharger

Quote from: moparstuart on April 13, 2013, 05:43:53 AM

So when you traded the road runner back for the challenger , did you have to trade the chick back too   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
[/quote]

No my current wife made me get rid of her  :rotz:

MOPAR always triumphs Ford..good work Dad! what's wierd is ford NEVER made a Red/Black cobra II but a ton of them (including mine) have been repainted to those colors  :shruggy: