News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When did you get your first Muscle Car??

Started by johnnyseville, February 04, 2013, 09:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyseville

Most guys, including me, are not in their 20's anymore, to say it politely.  When did you get your first hot car, any brand?  For me, I was lucky, my first car was a Hemi GTX, 4 spd, Dana,  when I turned 17, had half the cash and my father gave me the rest.  I was looking for either a Hemi or Boss 429, and this one showed up in the classifieds.  To be honest, would have preferred the Boss, since my friend had a 69 Mach I, 351 and I loved it, but wanted the Monster engine. When we went to check out the car, the guy took us for a ride and powershifted without the clutch, WOW!.  My father liked it too so he sprung for some money.  BTW, totally stock, except for headers, we chewed him down to $2850, car even had a real custom candy apple paint, with all type of design work from the door on back to the quarter, really nice too.   I started driving it to High School and even drove it to college for a while, always parked it on the street too. Those were the Good Ole Days :yesnod:
too many to list!

dyslexic teddybear

I certainly get the 20s reference.

May 1978

73 Challenger 340 Rallye.

Was actually looking for a Bird or a Charger.....but this little used car dealer would take my honda bike in trade. My dad fronted me the coin cuz he hated the bike and thought I would more likely live thru.......adventures, so to speak, in the Challenger. He was right, as I still have a barely noticeable scar to remind me I was not that good with a bike. Never got in any trouble at all with the Challenger, not even a speeding ticket. Certainly luck......not lack of trying.

My dad was a good guy. But he never understood why [his words] I would want to sit on the floor, try to see over this stupid big bump in the hood, and shift myself when I could have had an auto.

I still have it. Needs a full restore, lots of rust. One day soon, it will roll again under it's own power.

TruckDriver

1983 I paid $500. for my 1973 Mustang coupe that had all Mach 1 engine (351 SCJ) and drivetrain in it from the factory. The car was very soild too, with only minor rust in the rear quarters. Saddly, I only got 1 or 2 photos of the car.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

johnnyseville

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on February 04, 2013, 11:29:35 AM
I certainly get the 20s reference.

May 1978

73 Challenger 340 Rallye.

Was actually looking for a Bird or a Charger.....but this little used car dealer would take my honda bike in trade. My dad fronted me the coin cuz he hated the bike and thought I would more likely live thru.......adventures, so to speak, in the Challenger. He was right, as I still have a barely noticeable scar to remind me I was not that good with a bike. Never got in any trouble at all with the Challenger, not even a speeding ticket. Certainly luck......not lack of trying.

My dad was a good guy. But he never understood why [his words] I would want to sit on the floor, try to see over this stupid big bump in the hood, and shift myself when I could have had an auto.

I still have it. Needs a full restore, lots of rust. One day soon, it will roll again under it's own power.

Awesome, NEVER get rid of it, even if you do nothing to it.  It is part of your history now, irreplaceable.
too many to list!

johnnyseville

Quote from: TruckDriver on February 04, 2013, 11:32:31 AM
1983 I paid $500. for my 1973 Mustang coupe that had all Mach 1 engine (351 SCJ) and drivetrain in it from the factory. The car was very soild too, with only minor rust in the rear quarters. Saddly, I only got 1 or 2 photos of the car.

I know, don't even have one pic of my first one, really wish I did.  Looking at old cars and the memories that go along with them  are priceless.
too many to list!

GOTWING

IN 1984 I GOT MY FIRST CAR, MY 73 CHARGER S/E  ( HAVE TODAY )

IN 1985 RED 1966 CHARGER 383 4SPD

IN 1985 GOLD 1971 ROAD RUNNER 383

polywideblock

1978 got a 1975 SL/R 5000 torana. 32 000km   308 4 speed ,white with black decals/hood with full body kit , black/houndstooth int, 265 MT radial torque twisters(the widest tyres i had ever seen )    went like a scalded cat  :2thumbs:  still kick myself for selling it

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Cooter

1987...High School. My best friend's Cousin hadda 1967 Plymouth Satellite with 440 and 4-speed. Originally a 383 car. I knew the car when the black guy bought it brand new. It was green.
I knew I wanted one like it, so over to town Momma brought me to "Larry's Auto Sales" on 12th and Campbell. First one I see is a Bright blue 1967 Belvedere II 318 car, With Diamond tuck interior and bench seat. My auto mech. cousin takes one look at the tranny fluid and says "GEESH!" Momma says no way, but I wanted that Plymouth. Fast Fwd. about a year. Built myself a nice little 340 with tunnel ram and twin Holley 660 center squirters, 10.0:1, and My first Nitrous kit. 125 "powershot" Non adjustable because my shop teacher said I'd blow my junk up if I could mess with it.

Loved that car. Hadda lotta good times in it. Finally, in my senior year, I rolled it twice and tore it all to pieces. Been chasing that feeling I had back then ever since. Hemi's were stupidly priced even back then for me. My first car was GONNA be a 1967 Coronet R/T with 440 and 4-speed, but I couldn't drive it to save my life. So, dude gets in and takes us round the block. Slams 2nd, then third, Momma yells WHOA! TOO MUCH MOTOR!!" I lost that one by one week.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

wingcar

I purchased my first car in High School.....a 1966 Charger for the sum of $500.00 (Cash) from a used car lot.  It had a strong 383 4-bbl in it.  My parents wanted me to buy something with a six in it......but, I had to have a Charger.  This car only need basic body work and some interior work to get it back to almost like new condition.  Once I fixed it up, I promptly traded it for a 1969 Charger RT/SE with a 440 within a year. 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

chargerboy69

Around 1991 I bought my first of many Trans Ams.  A 1980 TA, black, with black interior with a 60's 400 in it. I drove it through part of my senior year of high school.

A beautiful car, paid $2250.00 for it.  I took my dad and he negotiated the price.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

cdr

1976-77 ,had met a guy around the corner that had a bannana yellow 68 charger 318 he could drive i was to young ,& i was always lookin in the paper.green sheet cars for sale,found an ad at a used car lot off us59 for a black 68 charger,my buddy took me to look at it 150.00 was the price & all i had was my 10 speed bike that i had built from the trash that people threw away it was a schwinn frame, well they were going out of buisiness & he traded me for my bike & towed it to the apartments that i lived in,it did not run & rt front torsion bar was out & someone had hammered the rear hex of frame so i couldnt put it back in, at that time i had no clue what to do,so i put a jack stand under it so the apartment managment would stop threatining to tow it away,anyway it had rt on car but was a 383 h code i did some odd jobs & got a carb kit & rebuilt that old avs carb,put points & cond & got the car to run,not bad for a 13 year old,well the torsion bar issue i couldnt get help to fix & the apartment people wanted it gone so i sold it,
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

warpspeed

First car, 67 Dart, in 1971 after graduating from HS.  Drove it five years and traded it for 71 Challenger.  Couldn't wait to get a Challenger after getting out of school and earning money for the first time.  Had seen the Vanishing Point movie in HS and HAD to have that car.  Sold it eventually to a guy who wanted to make it a drag car.  Didn't really want to let it go, but, had a "company" car and didn't need to pay extra for insurance.  Hated to see it go.  That car only had one ding in the molding on the trunk.  Now, can drive another 71 with a 440 anytime I want, so reliving my young adulthood!!!
Oh yeah, I had a bumper hitch on it so I could pull my sailboats around to regattas, AND a bicycle rack for my racing bikes,  ha, ha!!

FJ5WING

In 1981 I bought my first (muscle car? :lol:) it was a 67 Mustang fastback small block and followed that up with a pair of 351 powered Torinos...not sure about those being muscle either.
  In 1983 I got a real muscle car when I bought a 428 CJ Mach1  :ricky: but that didnt last long as I bent it a little :flush: after only 3 months.
I picked up my Superbird in 86. By then I wasnt using the "old" cars for daily use and was able to have a toy. My parents were so very gracious to build a garage for my car and my brothers 70 Vette
wingless now, but still around.

1BAD68

Back in 1982 I was 15 and a friend of mine bought a 69 Cutlass with a 350 Rocket, sounds cool but it was beat up and only cost $350 bucks.
After a couple days he couldn't get it to start anymore and it sat in his driveway. Soon after that, his mom wanted it out of the driveway so he told me "if you can get it out of my driveway, you can have it"
So I immediately troubleshot it and found a bad fusible link, fired it up and drove it home where my parents told me to get it out of the driveway (didn't have a drivers license yet) but was able to stall them until I turned 16 and got my license.
I drove that car for about a year when a combination of broken motor mount, slipping trans and no money other than for gas forced me to sell it.

tan top

1989   , technically  17  , but by the time i actually got it  , had just turned 18 by a couple of weeks    :yesnod:  

picture below , first day   :yesnod: :dance: :dance:  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Marck

I was 28 when I bought my first and only musclecar, my '68 Charger.. I'm now 34 and it's still not done but I was able to drive it for the last two summers..  :2thumbs: Not the easiest thing to raise funds for Charger stuff with two little kids in the house.. I'm not in a hurry though..  ;)

charger Downunder

Back in 1982 i was 16 years old when i bought my 70 dodge charger rt se and still have it today.
[/quote]

Back N Black

Mopar Nut

In 1978 bought a 68 442, then bought a 69 442, then bought a 69 post Cutlass Sport. Parents wanted me to sell them saying we are not a used car lot. In 89 bought a new Chrysler Conquest and bought a 70 Challenger for $400.00. Moved and sold everything.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

4cruzin

Quote from: charger Downunder on February 05, 2013, 08:22:11 PM
Back in 1982 i was 16 years old when i bought my 70 dodge charger rt se and still have it today.

1982 for me as well and I also still have it!  1973 'cuda . . .
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

16: First car was a Corvette
17: First musclecar was a Dodge Charger
17: First "pony car" was a Trans Am

Still have first car, sold the Charger when I turned 18, kept the Trans Am until I was in my 30s

hatersaurusrex

Last January, my '68 is my first Muscle Car :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

BrianShaughnessy

I was 17 in 78 when I got Sinnamon the first time around.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

nvrbdn

16 years old in 1973. a 68 dodge charger. 383 4 bbl white vinyl top, white interior, blue body, bucket seats, console, auto car.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

JT01

I was 12 my mom and dad always had camaros they bought me a 72 camaro also the year I was born in 70-73 have always been my fav camaros