News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Having Trouble Getting Bushings In Sway Bar - Need help

Started by 4402tuff4u, February 15, 2006, 07:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4402tuff4u

Last night I was working on the K frame again. Removed the sway bar and the old rubber bushings that to my surprise weren't that bad. I had to cut out the rubber bushings out because I couldn't get them to slide off the bracket. Took out the new poly's out off the box and read the directions ( I did this prior to starting the whole project). It said to grease the new poly's slide them in to the ends were the sway bar goes from flat to round. Supposedly that's the area of smallest diameter. Then it said to apply more grease to the edge that will enter the bracket first and get a set of channel locks and with the bracket next to the bushing, use the channel locks push the new bushings in the bracket. My A$$!!!! After one and half hours with channels locks and "C" clamps, I put the tools away and called it a night.  :flame:

The bushings both new and old have a camel hump in the center of them and I can't see how you are physically going to get it through the bracket. I was kind of frustrated and my wife asked what was up and I explained it to her. She brought up a good point that I really didn't even think about. She said it might be too cold out in the garage for the poly to give to enter the the bracket. I think she made a good point. Now I'm contemplating of grinding off one weld in the back of the bracket and opening the bracket to get the poly in and then reclamping bracket back to it's original position and tack welding it. I would weld it and cool it off, weld it and cool it off - back and forth until I have a full weld. What do you think?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these new poly bushings in the sway bar brackets?   
(photo is not the best. as you can see the poly bushing has grease on it - copper never seize)
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Shakey

4402tuff4u

Cool Shakey! Exactly what I had in mind. I thought I was going off the deep end with ideas. Good minds think alike! Very helpful site. I see I'm running into the same obstacles he did, especially with the upper ball joints on the "A" frames. I did not know of that site. The only difference, I'm painting everything after I'm done. Thanks  :2thumbs:

Sendero

I just did mine with poly's from pst ( 1970 R/T) . My polys were cut on the side so as to push onto the proper spot rather then designedto slide it in from the end. I still needed grease and some elbow grease to SNAP it onto the bar.

4402tuff4u

I replaced the bushings last night. I cut one side of the bracket at the weld where the strap/side meets the base of the bracket with a die grinder. I then opened the bracket installed the new poly pushing, bend the strap back down, clamped it with a "C" channel to it's original position, wrapped the whole bracket with a wet rag except were I was going to weld and hit it with the mig. It came out awesome, it did not hurt the poly bushing and it only took me 30 minutes per side - piece of cake. This is the way to do it!!! :2thumbs: :boogie: :boogie: