News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Single or dual feed carb?

Started by billschroeder5842, February 04, 2013, 08:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I HATE my Eddy and have been living with the idiosyncrasies for way too long.

I need to go back to my roots and get a Holley. At least this carb, I understand.

So, I'm looking at either a 600 or a 650 both with vacuum secondaries and electric choke. It will go on a '72 400 with stock compression, headers, super mild cam, electronic ignition and a Eddy performer manifold.

So what is the difference/benefits of a single fuel feed verses a dual? Duals look cooler but I'm the age where dependability and drivability mean more to me than curb appeal.

Any thought???
Texas Proud!

green69rt

I've had a dual feed holly and I can't say that there is any clear advantage.   Maybe some small improvements.   The dual feed does have a filter to each float bowl so I guess that's nice and it does have two floats but that may mean less reliability as two can go wrong and need adjustment verses one.  They are nice looking.   Thinking about it the one clear advantage is that with two float bowls, it's kind of like reducing the restrictions in the fuel system so you can get more gas into the carb.  On your car it may mean zip.  I wonder what Holly would say about them??

Cooter

IMO, go with the Dual Feed Holley and try and stay away from those One piece top thingies. (Had bad luck with 'em myself)...

Holley 4BBL carb's are like Nitrous Systems if you ask me, Too many don't fully understand 'em and try to tune them themselves and there is when you see comments posted about how Holley/NOS sucks/Blows engines. I've bombed engines for over 20 years and NEVER blown a headgasket. I simply know what will work and what will blow sh*t up. Same with holley carbs. I've had good luck with 'em.
Sure, I too heard the wives tales about how my Dominator will "load up" on the street and need rebuilding every two weeks. Well, after 10K miles and over 16 years, guess what?? It has been one of the most trouble free carb's I've ever owned, and I for all intense purposes, Abuse it by letting it sit for extended periods of time. Fires up every time.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Brass

Dual.  I had a 74 400 with a 650 dual feed spreadbore.  Worked really well.  Make sure whatever carb you get will match your intake flange.  Most aftermarket carbs are squarebore - if your intake is stock, it might be a spreadbore with larger secondary venturis.

green69rt

I didn't mean to imply that any Holley won't work, just what the extra ports are worth.  My double pumper ran on my old charger 440 for about 50,000 miles without a hitch.  Only thing I ever did to it was diddle with the jets a little bit.   I checked the Holley web site and it looks like the price difference was extreme ($80) so.....   Only other experience was with the original Carter AFB, too many adjustments on it and so went to the simpler Holley.

bull