News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door panel plastic weather shield

Started by Dmichels, February 01, 2013, 08:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

Ok I know I can make my own. I just do not have alot of extra time. It would be worth $20 bucks or so to buy them pre cut. Does anyone make the pre cut plastic that goes behind the door panels?
Thanks Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Ghoste

Good question, I don't think I've ever seen it offered separately.

Dmichels

I do not know what type of machine you would do this with But they would be super cheep to make and ship. This would be a good side bussiness for someone who does that type of work. At $20 bucks it would be almost total profit. Even if I had originals to copy it would still be a PITA. I have to make paper paterns then cut them out. Now I have to put all the holes in the right place and when I am done I am sure I will have 1/2 inch sticking out on the top. Come on folks hop to it I am putting the car back together at a high rate of speed and will need them soon.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

bill440rt

Somebody is making them repro, I've seen them at swaps just not sure who is manufacturing them (REM possibly?).
Check with the larger repro parts vendors: Mega Parts, Year One, Dale's Cuda Shop, Classic Industries, etc.

EXTREMELY easy to make, though. Go down to your local hardware store, pick up some heavy plastic sheeting for about $5 bucks. A box of strip-caulk for another $5 bucks. Trace the outline & cut it out. You can just about hold it on the door panel & inner 1/4 & just poke the rest of the holes with an awl. You'll have it done by the time it takes you to locate & order them, and then wait for them.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

And likely for about a 10th the cost (although not knowing what they are charging for these).

bill440rt

That's them!
I knew someone out there was repro'ing them.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dmichels

Thanks guys Too expensive for me. I am still recovering from the body shop, it drained my car fund and then some. Back to making my own. I think I will stick a rough cut piece of plastic on fresh caulk. I will then trim it with a razor. I have some vapor barior left over form some house work. I have a box of strip cualk, but I think I will use someting a little more sticky instead.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Ghoste

At 50 bucks a set with putty and ready to go  though not nearly as much as I would have thought.

bill440rt

The original material was very similar to Strip Caulk. Works just fine, and easy to remove later.
I made mine here, pics in this thread. See halfway down pg 5 & into pg 6. Super easy.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,64641.100.html

Dmichels

68 440 4 speed 4.10