News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission noise - Video

Started by grdprx, January 31, 2013, 09:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

I have a noise on my 727 that started late this past summer.  Sounds like its building pressure, sort of a high pitched sound.  I tried taking a video and you and kind of hear it... 

I have a 68 Charger, 440 mildly built.  Nothing done to the transmission, except that I replaced the rear band.  I used the Mopar 727 transmission handbook to do that job.  Was proud of myself that the tranny drives at all!

I'm about to drop the transmission this weekend to exchange the input shaft.  I just happened to find a 1965 727 on Craigslist with the 19 spline input shaft.... And the torque converter I ordered from Dynamic certainly doesn't fit.   :brickwall:    So, I got a donor tranny to swap input shafts.  Winter project!  :2thumbs:

Figured I'd check with the engine/tranny gurus about this noise.

http://youtu.be/0oak3ALea9E

chargd72

Are you sure it's not the rear end?  Pinion could just be a little off so it hums while under load.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

grdprx

I am sure, it definitely comes from right under the trans hump.

John_Kunkel

A whining noise in 1st gear that goes away in 2nd is probably gear noise from the planetaries...not uncommon, especially with no insulation on the floor.

I'm perplexed by your planned input shaft change, you're going to put a 19-spline input in your '68 trans?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

grdprx

I picked up the trans off CL, was told it was from a 68 Newport.   I've run it for a couple years, it's got no "power.". So I ordered a new converter from Dynamic, I think it's like a 2800 stall. Went to slide it on last spring, wouldn't go. That is when I discovered it was a 19 spline trans from the Newport. So, I am going to swap in a 24 spline now so I can use this pretty dynamic converter I bought.

Regarding the noise, I don't recall this last year or the beginning of this past spring or the year before. You dont think it's abnormal?

John_Kunkel

My hearing isn't great and the sound on the video isn't the best but it doesn't sound abnormal to me.

If the trans is actually a '66 (only year of lever-shift and 19-spline input), the angle of helix on the planetary gears makes for noisier operation than the '67 and later...in '67 they changed the angle of helix to quiet the gears down. In the pic below the '67 and later is on the right.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

grdprx

Thanks very much John. I'll hope it's all in my head. =)

I tried making the video a couple times, my next thought was to just set the phone on the trans tunnel, but then you'd be looking up my nose!

I'm thinking I may do a pictorial on the input shaft swap.   I've only seen the write up on Mopar Muscle mag's site.

moparstuart

yup sounds like a normal 727 whiring noise i have always heard in them
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE