News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

i'm looking for help makeing these for me

Started by BigBlockSam, January 31, 2013, 06:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

hi guys,  i want to put these on my tona , i'm also installing a roll cage . i know there's not much to these but i'd like to find someone to make them for me . i will mount the rear ones with screws and mount the windshield ones with magnets . so i can remove them if i have to . i'm talking about the metal strips that hold the windshield  on nascar cars . here's a picture . i don't like the way these are mounted . i would do mine straight up and done .

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Indygenerallee

Rene, Let me know if you find something that works good I want to do the same thing to my Daytona, I was going to try to find some straight stainless trim off some other car (side door trim would be long enough)
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

richRTSE

Popular Hotrodding did a Laguna with these a few years ago...just found it online...click "next" on the photo to see all the pictures, about 3 or 4...not sure if this is the exact look you're shooting for, but it seems easy enough to make your own this way...

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0904phr_1975_chevy_laguna_parts_accessories/photo_47.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike Musto's Angrier Daytona has those....maybe he can chime in & say who made them?

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparstuart

wayne has them on the 99 hemi daytona to

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

For the ultimate in realism, drill through your plexiglas rear window.     They are made from aluminum strip.  There is one on each side of the rear glass.   The outer one is wrapped in electrical tape.

cdr

go to home depot ,they sell alum strips,cut & bend
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

oldcarnut

Quote from: cdr on January 31, 2013, 09:18:36 PM
go to home depot ,they sell alum strips,cut & bend
Seems easy enough to make  :yesnod:  If I had a window to model off of I do it for ya.  Or you could just send your car over for a while and Ill use it  :D

kab69440

Quote from: Aero426 on January 31, 2013, 09:02:58 PM
For the ultimate in realism, drill through your plexiglas rear window.     They are made from aluminum strip.  There is one on each side of the rear glass.   The outer one is wrapped in electrical tape.

That doesn't look real at all. What good is it if the strip doesn't get screwed into the body? Isn't the entire point of them to keep the window from blowing out of the car at speed like happened to my car way back when?  For whatever it is worth, I grabbed some stainless longitudinals from a roof rack to make a set from. I've never actually made them, but that is what I'll use when I do.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

wingcarenvy

They are pretty simple to make. When you go to the metal supply store get aluminum strap thats one inch wide. All you have to do is bend the ends and cut to length. When buying aluminum remember that the lower the number the easier it is to bend. For instance 6061 aluminum will not bend it breaks, where as 3003 bends very nicely and is still very strong. Go .120 thick on the strap too.

BS27ROB

Quote from: kab69440 on February 01, 2013, 12:10:06 AM

That doesn't look real at all. What good is it if the strip doesn't get screwed into the body? Isn't the entire point of them to keep the window from blowing out of the car at speed like happened to my car way back when?  For whatever it is worth, I grabbed some stainless longitudinals from a roof rack to make a set from. I've never actually made them, but that is what I'll use when I do.

I think that is a picture from his real vintage race car. An aluminum strip inside and outside with the rear window sandwiched in between would keep the window from blowing out without being screwed into the body.

held1823

Quote from: BS27ROB on February 01, 2013, 09:29:49 AM
Quote from: kab69440 on February 01, 2013, 12:10:06 AM

I think that is a picture from his real vintage race car. An aluminum strip inside and outside with the rear window sandwiched in between would keep the window from blowing out without being screwed into the body.

bingo.

it doesn't get much more real, than the real thing.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

kab69440

Quote from: BS27ROB on February 01, 2013, 09:29:49 AM

"Ahhhh... So I see..." said the blind man.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Aero426

Yes there is material on both sides of the glass, at least that is how it was done on this car.    The inside material is like aluminum channel.   It has some foam rubber between it and the glass.   Then the outer strap material which is thinner and wrapped with the electrical tape.   

What you can't see in the photo are a couple of trim screws drilled through the rear window trim  :o to hold it to the body.   

kab69440

Is that a glass backlight or Lexan? If glass, how did they drill through it without breaking it?

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Indygenerallee

Indygenerallee

QuoteIs that a glass backlight or Lexan? If glass, how did they drill through it without breaking it?
Quotedrill through your plexiglas rear window.
::)

Aero426

The original race car back windows are made of Plexiglas.

BigBlockSam

thanks guys the pics helped a lot . now that i see them close up i think i can make them . maybe out of stainless to match the trim . i like the ones on Mikes car . i have pics of mike's car but he doesn't have them in those pics .
i'm playing race car with my tona .  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Finn

Magnets from old computer harddrives would work well for sticking them.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on January 31, 2013, 08:09:28 PM
Mike Musto's Angrier Daytona has those....maybe he can chime in & say who made them?

I made the Stainless window straps for Musto's car from 1" X 1/8" thick 304 Stainless Steel, to get the bends very sharp to follow the trim and roofline and allow the straps to sit on the glass flat, I would use various steel plates of different thickness in a standard hydraulic H frame press to bend and shape the required offsets in the Stainless, a metal brake produces too soft a radius, Mike wanted the straps to be flush with the glass, trim and body, no gaps

Mike

BigBlockSam

BigBlockSam

anybody know the length of the vega window that we use on our daytona's ? mines not here and i want  to order thre metal

pettybird

We have strips on the Marty car, and they're double side foam taped in place from one end to the other.  I'm sure that's how Wayne's are. as well.