News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger dash restoration help / questions

Started by BY RSCO, January 25, 2013, 11:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BY RSCO

Well, I am in the process of getting the dash apart and restoring it and have several questions. First off, I have seen many gaps in the pads and such as shown in one of my pics between the glove box door area, and the center a/c vents. Any remedy, or is this pretty well the norm? Also, as you can see, someone at one time thought it was a great idea to stick individual letters on the woodgrain on the right side, which brings me to my next question - The dash looks to be a tad lighter (the wood color) than the console and is this normal? I am going to have to either change the panels on the dash, or at least do the decal overlays (if they look ok and there is a color that will closely match the console - console is darker) - lastly, there is a small switch/knob labeled "speaker" as shown. This is my first Charger endeavor, so I am learning as I go. was just curious about this. Thanks, and any tips on making this a nice dash again are greatly appreciated!

Just 6T9 CHGR

The 68-69 dash pads are just that....actual pads.  Foam injected with a vinyl cover & a steel backing.  Over time the foam peels away from the backing causing the gaps & spaces you see.  As for a fix to that?  Good question.  I have only been successful in "fixing" that by finding better examples of the pieces.

In 1970, in a cost cutting measure I'm sure,  they "cured" the problem (unintentionally) by going to hard plastic forms (of which are conveniently being reproduced now)

The speaker switch is for the rear speaker fader for your AM/FM stereo.  There should be a control box also mounted under the dash where the switch connects to.

As for the woodgrain, I dont think the console & SE dash inserts actually ever matched.   Decals for the dash pieces are a no-go.  Maybe will work for the flat glove box piece but the radio bezel & instrument cluster piece have too many curves.  Not sure if they even make decal kits for the dash anymore.

BE/A makes quality repros of the dash pieces now (not cheap though)
http://www.beaparts.com/list_items.aspx?body=B&cat=I&subcat=21

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

That fader was available on more than the AM/FM though wasn't it?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on January 27, 2013, 06:45:56 PM
That fader was available on more than the AM/FM though wasn't it?

Yup AM 8 track as well
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

BY RSCO

Thanks for the information. I have been looking at the repro pieces from BEA, and it looks like that is the way to go. I want the car done right, and am trying to go on the "buy once cry once" principle... been crying alot... :)
It looks like the glove compartment lid is the one that is the most "out of whack", so I may put out some feelers here for a better one. Thanks again, and I am sure I will have many more questions as I move further. I am doing most of the homework on interior & wiring, the body shop has the rest..

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on January 28, 2013, 06:34:30 AM
And also AM regular, no?

Hmm...maybe with the R13 5.5 watt model?  I wouldnt think so though.   Wasnt the whole premise of the rear/dash speakers to get stereo sound?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I had a 69 with AM that had rear speakers and a fader.  I can't tell you what model of Am or even that it was a factory install though.

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green