News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door panel improvement

Started by brigond, January 30, 2013, 08:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brigond

My eBay purchased upper door panel has arrived today .it's a very good condition rep lacement for my 1971 charger . there is a chrome lik e border surrounding the padded area of the door panel . it's actually a foil covered  plastic border about the thickness of a coat hanger wire . The foil tape is coming up in a lot of areas . Has anybody had any good results on trying to restore this plastic piping ?  I was thinking of using silver model paint . With some good quality paint brushes , a lot of patience, I think it will be an improvement but not sure if it will stay .

Also, product suggestions on what to use on old vinyl  door panels ?
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

Ghoste

There are people who have used chrome paint with varying degrees of success.  I wonder though, has anyone tried that foil that modellers use to duplicate chrome on parts like yours?

CDN72SE

I think this is the foil Ghoste is speaking of: http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html . I think I have also heard of people using the chrome-like tape used to cover the gaps in heating ducts. I'll need to get around to doing mine sometime.
1972 Charger SE

Ghoste

That's the stuff.  Do you know anyone who used it in their interior?  The duct pipe tape is an interesting thought too.

brigond

Thanks for the responses. The tape idea does sound good but ill bet it would be a real P.I.A. to get it on perfectly. I'm still thinking of the paint. I'll try to scuff and remove the old foil tape first.
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

brigond

I did use silver model paint  on my dash panel . I painted the perimeter of the AC vents and the charger SE emblem. it came out reall nice . I'm sure it will hold out since the car is garage kept. If it doesn't, I would have no problem doing it over. I used a good set of model paint brushes. It was a little tedious but the end result was worth it and rewarding.