News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fast and furious 6 Daytona

Started by chargerman69, January 29, 2013, 09:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

QuoteThis is so true.  Had my car parked the other day at the park , and this kid,  less than 10 yo, was walking with his father, he stopped and said, this is the car we saw in the movies and just stood there looking at it.  His father took out his cell and took pictures of it.  Kid has already seen the movies and I haven't found the time to yet.

:cheers: thats a good thing for the future of these cars  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

And in reality, I suppose we should all be focused on that more than the stuff about it that bugs us.

BigBlockSam

made me real happy when i see that they used a daytona clone this time . the young  people already luv 2nd gen chargers  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Mike DC

Do people pick on a little toy R/C Charger for having electric power?  

Would people complain that a go-kart version of a Charger at a theme park has a Briggs & Stratton?

Do people complain that an old Grand National NASCAR Charger used to run nonstock drivetrain parts?

Movie prop cars are basically 1:1 scale toys.  They are made to give the impression of the real thing, not BE real.    

Ghoste

Sorry man, it isn't going to alter my opinion a bit.  I just can't quite put it in the same category as a radio control toy or a go kart. 

SRT-440

I don't care if the mopars are pulled by horses...I'm happy they are using them in the movies...helps Mopars to get the rep of being badass...Dom could be driving a camaro or mustang instead.
I wonder what the price difference is in a crate LS3 and say a 5.7 or 6.1 HEMI...I'm guessing the Hemi is more expensive.
LS3's a amazing engines..will almost never break or stop running even under the worst conditions.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

A383Wing

LS3's are more plentiful and easier on the wallet as well...plus parts are everywhere

Bryan

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on June 14, 2013, 02:48:54 PM
Sorry man, it isn't going to alter my opinion a bit.  I just can't quite put it in the same category as a radio control toy or a go kart. 
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

JB400

Isn't it just easier to be upset about a Chevy engine in a Mopar now, as to when people start cloning the movie car and still putting Chevy engines in our beloved b bodies? :laugh:  Of course, hot rodders have been sticking chevy engines in 30's era Fords for quite a while now.

Personally, I'm surprised Mr. Gilles didn't give the production crew a bunch of 5.7 Hemi's for the movie cars. :scratchchin:

Ghoste

Maybe, I'm not trying to change anyone else's mind anyway, just saying that it seems dumb to me.

Mike DC

QuoteIsn't it just easier to be upset about a Chevy engine in a Mopar now, as to when people start cloning the movie car and still putting Chevy engines in our beloved b bodies? laugh  Of course, hot rodders have been sticking chevy engines in 30's era Fords for quite a while now.

Putting a GM motor into a F&F Daytona replica would be "accurate" in the same way that it would be more accurate to clone the Charger from the very first F&F movie by running a blue 383 motor and a huge dummy blower screwed to the hood.  Or driving a GL replica around with 500 lbs of ballast in the trunk.  Fans normally don't recreate everything 100% accurately, not even most diehards.  

They show Vin Diesel wrenching on a Hemi/wedge motor earlier in the movie.  And if one of the characters onscreen had ever stated what motor was (fictionally) in the Daytona, I'd bet money they would have called it a Mopar Hemi too.

QuotePersonally, I'm surprised Mr. Gilles didn't give the production crew a bunch of 5.7 Hemi's for the movie cars

Who says they didn't?  The 2nd-unit crew probably would have thanked Gilles graciously, and then continued using GM crates in the stunt cars.

This pic is from earlier in this same thread.  It's a sign in front of a red F&F Daytona on display at the studio.  Read the description of the engine -  6.4L Chrysler Hemi.

The GM motor swaps are used to benefit the 2nd-unit stunt crews.  I'm not sure what was in the "hero" 1st-unit closeup Daytonas during filming, but it wouldn't shock me if they actually did have Mopar crate Hemis in one or more of those.  

Stevearino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 15, 2013, 03:26:28 AM
QuoteIsn't it just easier to be upset about a Chevy engine in a Mopar now, as to when people start cloning the movie car and still putting Chevy engines in our beloved b bodies? laugh  Of course, hot rodders have been sticking chevy engines in 30's era Fords for quite a while now.

Putting a GM motor into a F&F Daytona replica would be "accurate" in the same way that it would be more accurate to clone the Charger from the very first F&F movie by running a blue 383 motor and a huge dummy blower screwed to the hood.  Or driving a GL replica around with 500 lbs of ballast in the trunk.  Fans normally don't recreate everything 100% accurately, not even most diehards. 

They show Vin Diesel wrenching on a Hemi/wedge motor earlier in the movie.  And if one of the characters onscreen had ever stated what motor was (fictionally) in the Daytona, I'd bet money they would have called it a Mopar Hemi too.

QuotePersonally, I'm surprised Mr. Gilles didn't give the production crew a bunch of 5.7 Hemi's for the movie cars

Who says they didn't?  The 2nd-unit crew probably would have thanked Gilles graciously, and then continued using GM crates in the stunt cars.

This pic is from earlier in this same thread.  It's a sign in front of a red F&F Daytona on display at the studio.  Read the description of the engine -  6.4L Chrysler Hemi.

The GM motor swaps are used to benefit the 2nd-unit stunt crews.  I'm not sure what was in the "hero" 1st-unit closeup Daytonas during filming, but it wouldn't shock me if they actually did have Mopar crate Hemis in one or more of those. 

I believe the series of pics of the car parked has a hood up shot of the hemi. I saw it somewhere on the net I just don't know where now.

Daytona Guy

They did a great job - it is really the first movie to have a Daytona (type) car in it that is the most featured car. We just can't complain. Just enjoy. This car should be praised for the fact that Hollywood, 40 years, later can make a car like this that has been overlooked for way too long, and make it the featured car in a freaking hit movie. Say so-long to Joe Dirt comparisons, finally. The more pissing and moaning we do does not help our cause. Milk it, love it. Perspective is everything :)

Looks like a LS3 engine - but hey, let's love the car.

great pics here .   http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/fast-furious-6-cars-1969-dodge-charger-daytona.html

JB400

Well, being that Hollywood destroys it in the movie, we have to hate it and bash it just like another Hollywood charger that everyone loves.

Mike DC

Well, there is a certain law of the universe to remember:   "Any 2nd-gen Charger featured in a film or television show shall not survive intact." 

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 18, 2013, 01:00:42 AM
They did a great job - it is really the first movie to have a Daytona (type) car in it that is the most featured car. We just can't complain. Just enjoy. This car should be praised for the fact that Hollywood, 40 years, later can make a car like this that has been overlooked for way too long, and make it the featured car in a freaking hit movie. Say so-long to Joe Dirt comparisons, finally. The more pissing and moaning we do does not help our cause. Milk it, love it. Perspective is everything :)

Great points, I've heard enough Joe Dirt comparisons to last a lifetime!

Now, I think that fender tag is a repo too...
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 18, 2013, 04:52:08 AM

Well, there is a certain law of the universe to remember:   "Any 2nd-gen Charger featured in a film or television show shall not survive intact." 

That crash was all CGI - the car is fine.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 18, 2013, 03:33:11 PM

They built 7, and 4 were destroyed/badly damaged  :rotz:

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 18, 2013, 03:38:07 PM
Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 18, 2013, 03:33:11 PM

They built 7, and 4 were destroyed/badly damaged  :rotz:

Hey man, can you give citations, sources for this? I only know of one made.

Dane

A383Wing

source for his quote was in the link you posted above..,there was a 2 page write-up with those 50+ pics

three survived, and of the 7 made, only one was manual trans

Bryan

QuoteKeep in mind that a production as large as Fast & Furious 6 needs multiple examples of every onscreen car to keep filming no matter what the contingency. And particular cars need to be built in particular ways to deal with particular stunts or appearances. So this isn't about just one Daytona, but seven built to portray Toretto's fictional machine. Three survived filming.

Mike DC

That's about par for the course.  7 made, 3 survived, one stick shifted.  They have to use stick-shifted cars for certain drifting shots but the stunt guys prefer automatics for pretty much everything else they do.  

When they say, "7 made, 3 survived" it may not mean they destroyed 4 whole cars.  It may mean they dressed up & painted several bare shells to hack up for camera work, and only the 3-4 others were ever complete drivable cars.  

Hollywood likes to brag about going through tons of cars to make the action sound better but the truth is they usually don't tear up as many as they imply.  They tend to give the number of VINs (not whole complete running cars) that they bought, and then compare it to the number of complete running cars at the end of filming.  But how many of those bought cars were just bare shells or parts cars?  And how many of the "wrecked" cars just need some repairs and are far from dead?  

Look at the "Dukes" remake in 2005.  In truth there were about 4-6 fewer intact running Chargers when they finished filming than when they started.  But TIME magazine reported that they totaled 24 Lees.  

Ghoste

Yes, that's all true too.  It makes for good press.

Daytona Guy

Ha ha - I just like looking at the pictures. Did not read it at all  :rofl:

Dane

hotrod98

Seeing the pics of the F&F car makes me want to get started on my version but I just can't start yet. I'm still gathering parts. Frustrating.  :brickwall:
I'm anxious to see my new wing from Dane. I sold the clone that the last one was installed on and I really hated letting go of that wing.
Well, the wing and all of the high dollar Dayclona parts that I put on that car :)

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 19, 2013, 01:41:01 PM
Seeing the pics of the F&F car makes me want to get started on my version but I just can't start yet. I'm still gathering parts. Frustrating.  :brickwall:
I'm anxious to see my new wing from Dane. I sold the clone that the last one was installed on and I really hated letting go of that wing.
Well, the wing and all of the high dollar Dayclona parts that I put on that car :)

I'm hoping to have all 4 done by the end of July or early Aug.

Dane