News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Regress pics of my '68. Last update before she comes home on Thurs.

Started by bull, February 14, 2006, 08:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

Grant, all thru out under there on the bottom of the top side(make sense?) was bare metal.  So you guessed it.

I donned a mask and glasses and got down in contorted positions(wife used to love it)and sprayed rust preventative or whatever the heck that crap was.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: AllBlueRT on February 16, 2006, 08:24:59 AM

Grant, all thru out under there on the bottom of the top side(make sense?) was bare metal.  So you guessed it.

I donned a mask and glasses and got down in contorted positions(wife used to love it)and sprayed rust preventative or whatever the heck that crap was.
A while after I posted that, I remembered that the tops of the 1/4's & sail panels are that way too. It's just amazing to me that these cars didn't just rot away without any protection there...especially in the humid regions.
I know my car is gonna have plenty of protection when I'm done with it. :icon_smile_wink:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

65post

Bull,you can clean your camera lens but if your taking pics in a body shop with a flash when the boys got the dust flying around your camera will pick it up.As far as color goes if the boys are going to put hours and hours of block sanding into it  PAINT IT BLACK !
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

PocketThunder

Here is where the package tray came from.. :icon_smile_big:     :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_blackeye: poor SE. :rotz:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

firefighter3931

Quote from: bull on February 16, 2006, 12:32:25 AM

I'm still thiking of going with black because if I painted it green I'd still want a black Charger. :P

Right on....nuthin like a black 68 to menace the neighborhood  :devil:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bull

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 17, 2006, 12:21:51 AM
Quote from: bull on February 16, 2006, 12:32:25 AM

I'm still thiking of going with black because if I painted it green I'd still want a black Charger. :P

Right on....nuthin like a black 68 to menace the neighborhood  :devil:

Ron

You know it.

bull

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 16, 2006, 11:00:56 PM
Here is where the package tray came from.. :icon_smile_big:     :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_blackeye: poor SE. :rotz:

I was just looking at your left rear window register for that nylon roller bushing at the back but it's missing. Mine is cracked and I need another one. Yea, that poor SE has just about had it. :'(

bull

A few new ones after primer. Don't worry, I'm not going to add pictures every other day. ;)

bull

More. And a better pic of the GSX at the end.

blackcrowe

thats gawna look bitchin!!!
blackblackblackblackblack ;D

ck1

aahhhhhhhhh BULL your makin me want to media blast my car but dang it I'm trying to keep the cost down.........have any ideas of how many time your car was painted?  my car was painted one time after the factory coat so I'm thinkin on just sanding that down to the original layer so it don't look to thick when it gets painted and the body lines still show, I not lookin for show quality but man it looks like good idea to do it ^-^
CJK

bull

Quote from: ck1 on February 17, 2006, 10:03:15 PM
aahhhhhhhhh BULL your makin me want to media blast my car but dang it I'm trying to keep the cost down.........have any ideas of how many time your car was painted?  my car was painted one time after the factory coat so I'm thinkin on just sanding that down to the original layer so it don't look to thick when it gets painted and the body lines still show, I not lookin for show quality but man it looks like good idea to do it ^-^

TT-1 green from the factory, then (I think) yellow, then blue, then black. So four colors that I know of and God knows how many coats of each. There was also some odd dark blue in the trunk, mostly on the bottom of the deck lid, but that's the only place I saw that color. Media blasting shouldn't cost that much. Most quotes I got for doing the entire car were between $750-$1,000. You could always chemically strip it and then grind out the bondo by hand.

daytonakid

Hi Bull, Bill here Mike told me you had posted some pics of your car at my shop. We will protect your glass when we weld on the car. It will be treated just like it was Tom's Hemi cuda. I noticed several people were commenting how Dodge did very little corrosion protection on the trunk areas of these cars. We etched and epoxied the panel beneath the dutchman panel before installing the new dutchman panel. We also etched and epoxied the underside of the new dutchman panel and weld through primed welded areas before welding it on.We had to modify the panel (typical reproduction panel) they are not bent exactly right but Dave got it looking great. Bill
Owner East Portland Auto Body www.eastportlandautobody.com

bull

Quote from: daytonakid on February 22, 2006, 01:12:26 AM
Hi Bull, Bill here Mike told me you had posted some pics of your car at my shop. We will protect your glass when we weld on the car. It will be treated just like it was Tom's Hemi cuda. I noticed several people were commenting how Dodge did very little corrosion protection on the trunk areas of these cars. We etched and epoxied the panel beneath the dutchman panel before installing the new dutchman panel. We also etched and epoxied the underside of the new dutchman panel and weld through primed welded areas before welding it on.We had to modify the panel (typical reproduction panel) they are not bent exactly right but Dave got it looking great. Bill

It looks pretty good to me. As you said they only treated the cars for rust up to a certain point.

472 R/T SE

Hey Bill.

Welcome to the board.  bull's in good hands.  If there's anyone I'd want doing body work on my car, it would be you.  I could  rephrase that, it's gonna be you when it's time.
I know you're a busy man, but if you get the time kick your feet up and hang out a little.  I'm sure there's someone you could help in the paint and body section of the board.

Nice talkin' to ya' tonight.  :wave:

bull

Here's some insight into some opinions of factory paint work: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,9989.0.html

And yes, if you ever get some free time (and we've all got lots of that :P) the body and paint section could always use some more expertise. Welcome to dodgecharger.com! How many Chargers do you have again?

ck1

hey Bull, are they gonna keep it at the shop tell it gets its final paint job or is it coming back home for awhile? if it is coming back to your house is your garage insulated and warm?  Just wanted to for warn you although you don't seem as lazy as me, my garage isn't insulated, "which I'm doing right now and put in a heater", for I'm having a little rust staining coming through my epoxy primer, proably from poor metal prepping or just to long, "two years", with out getting it final paint job in a cold none heated garage :'(
CJK

daytonakid

Thanks for the welcome. I have 3 1969's one of which I bought from the original owner in 1975. Its a 440 auto 410 dana R/t A4 silver NOM car . I have pics of myself taking it to my high school graduation and prom. I purchased a twin to it an A4 silver 440 auto R/T recently and am rotisserie restoring it. These two cars were built within 3 weeks of each other at the same plant. These two cars should make most of the northwest mopar shows I have two 1970 parts cars and a 68 parts car. My website needs updating which we are in the process of having done is: eastportlandautobody.com  Bill
Owner East Portland Auto Body www.eastportlandautobody.com

bull

Quote from: ck1 on February 22, 2006, 09:29:51 AM
hey Bull, are they gonna keep it at the shop tell it gets its final paint job or is it coming back home for awhile? if it is coming back to your house is your garage insulated and warm?  Just wanted to for warn you although you don't seem as lazy as me, my garage isn't insulated, "which I'm doing right now and put in a heater", for I'm having a little rust staining coming through my epoxy primer, proably from poor metal prepping or just to long, "two years", with out getting it final paint job in a cold none heated garage :'(

It will be there for a while but it will be coming home after the body work is done. My garage is insulated but not very roomy, I think it's 20'X20'. In fact I just finished insulating the attic above the garage two days ago and I did the walls myself back when they built the house. I don't know when I'll be able to afford paint. I'm experiencing major burnout right now from working two jobs over the past year to pay for the work being done so the thought of doing it for another six months or so is not really too thrilling.

PocketThunder

I might suggest putting it together in primer and drive it on sunny days.  then get it painted when you get more money....... errr wait, doesnt it rain 6 days a week in Oregon?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bull

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 22, 2006, 10:41:47 PM
I might suggest putting it together in primer and drive it on sunny days.  then get it painted when you get more money....... errr wait, doesnt it rain 6 days a week in Oregon?

It only rains four days a week here in the summer. ;) But I've been told the sunshine is pretty hard on that epoxy primer.

Here's one of the new Dutchman panel and Pocket Thunder's restored package tray installed:

PocketThunder

Do you want the rear window defroster that was attached to that package tray?   Its sitting in my garage taking up space..... 

If not its going on ebay.

SeattleCharger

Wow, that's some major work.  That looks weird with the entire quarter cut out, haven't seen that, I sort of need to cut out some of my quarter, don't know when I will, someday.    Good luck with your car, black is the best.    :thumbs:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Johnny SixPack

Looks great so far, Bull. :cheers:

Wish my package tray looked that nice.  :'(

PO cut mine all to shreds only to replace it with plywood and cardboard as part of his master plan to put in a "bumpin'" stereo system.

Won't even go into the foam-in-a-can filled trunk lid.  ::)

Bet you're excited to see the progress! :2thumbs:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

bull

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 24, 2006, 12:52:22 AM
Do you want the rear window defroster that was attached to that package tray?   Its sitting in my garage taking up space..... 

If not its going on ebay.

That would be nice to have, although I have no idea how to hook them up. It's probably not rocket science.

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on February 24, 2006, 01:09:41 AM

Wow, that's some major work. That looks weird with the entire quarter cut out, haven't seen that, I sort of need to cut out some of my quarter, don't know when I will, someday. Good luck with your car, black is the best. :thumbs:

It does look pretty odd. That driver's side outer wheel house is going to be replaced too. If you look closely you can see that it's all wrinkled across the top. That whole area took a pretty hard hit at one point as you can tell by looking at the mangled rocker in front of the wheel.