News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Regress pics of my '68. Last update before she comes home on Thurs.

Started by bull, February 14, 2006, 08:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I say regress because there's less of it than there was but yea, it's actually progress. The driver's quarter is off as is the passenger's lower quarter, the package tray, the rear valance and the panel behind the rear window. I'm always confused as to what exactly the package tray is. Is it the flat panel outside between the rear window and the trunk lid or is it the speaker tray inside the rear window? Either way they're both gone. Anyway, here are some pictures. Some of them have spots and some don't for some reason. Sorry, I guess my lense has a bunch of crap on it. They were just getting ready to roll it into the booth to put a coat of epoxy primer on it before they get started on the body work.

bull

:o

bull

:P

Two more and a couple donor cars at the shop.

bull

Thanks Mr. Terrible. Here's a couple of the shop owner's '69 in progress and a '69 RS/SS Camaro he just picked up. He also has a turquoise '69 waiting for work. Above it on the rack is a yellow '69 RR ragtop with serious rust issues.

Recharger

Definitely qualifies as progress.  You've got to break a few eggs to make an omelet.  

FYI, the spots are from dust/salt/dirt on your lens.  At the right angle they reflect the light and appear as spots, at other angles/light conditions they disappear.  Wipe your lens off and they should go away.  ;)

bull

Quote from: Recharger on February 14, 2006, 08:18:14 PM
Definitely qualifies as progress.  You've got to break a few eggs to make an omelet.  

FYI, the spots are from dust/salt/dirt on your lens.  At the right angle they reflect the light and appear as spots, at other angles/light conditions they disappear.  Wipe your lens off and they should go away.  ;)

That's what I figured. I should have checked for that but they looked ok on the little screen. Oh well.

Big Lebowski

Cool progress dude. :thumbs: I love clean sheetmetal.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

PocketThunder

I hope that package tray works out.  :icon_smile_cool:  (thats the piece with the speakers in it.)
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

the flimsy flat panel between the sails is called a "Dutchman"..

472 R/T SE

Nice lookin' parts car  :o

I didn't know the driver's rear quarter needed so much work.  There's a good portion of $$$ in itself.  Look at that clean trunk, typical NW car.  It's gonna look killer when they're done with it.  Is his boy doing a lot of the work?  Maybe with the weather gitting nice, they won't have as many insurance claims going.  When's the completion date?

bull

Quote from: AllBlueRT on February 15, 2006, 12:50:28 AM
Nice lookin' parts car  :o

I didn't know the driver's rear quarter needed so much work.  There's a good portion of $$$ in itself.  Look at that clean trunk, typical NW car.  It's gonna look killer when they're done with it.  Is his boy doing a lot of the work?  Maybe with the weather gitting nice, they won't have as many insurance claims going.  When's the completion date?

I didn't know about that quarter either (surprise, surprise) but it had the rust at the bottom of course and then it got hit pretty hard at some point just in front of the driver's side rear wheel. You can see the wrinkles in the inner rocker panel where it was smashed almost flat. One of the previous owners drilled holes all through it to hammer it back out so it had a lot of damage. Bill was on the fence as to whether to replace the passenger side full quarter too but decided we'd come out ahead cost-wise to repair it instead. It also had a bunch of holes in it that they welded up. In fact both fenders had holes dirlled in them too that they welded up. This thing got the DOH treatment by someone. The trunk is pretty clean but when it got blasted they uncovered a few pin holes here and there. I'll probably end up doing the trunk myself along with the driver's side floor. Do you mean John when you say his boy? I don't know if he has any other sons but John does more of the paperwork side of the business rather than shop work. Last I heard they will have the car until about May or June. Bill isn't going to paint it yet. I don't have enough money. :-[ Tom Benson stopped by to have a look at that Camaro while I was there. Also, I guess someone Bill knows scored a Hemi Coronet or GTX out toward the coast for $1,000 recently!! John was telling me that they guy went there to some wrecking yard to buy a console and/or top plate but the guy wouldn't sell just the part, he had to sell the whole car. The buyer took it and had to cut a hole in the hood to get it open because it was smashed and that's when he discovered the 426 inside. I'll get more details on the story the next time I go to Bill's shop.

CB

Looking all right Bull, keep it going!
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bull

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 14, 2006, 11:22:24 PM
I hope that package tray works out.  :icon_smile_cool:  (thats the piece with the speakers in it.)

Did I get that piece from you? It cleaned up pretty good and we're going to use it. I was trying to remember who I bought that from. Thanks again if it was you. It's to the left of the hood against the wall in this picture.

4402tuff4u

Bull, makesure before they weld on the quarter on your 68, they cover that quarter glass pretty good or else it will be full of glass pitting from the splash weld put out from the mig welder. Your body guy probably knows that. It's just something that can be easily be overlooked. Nice progress! :2thumbs:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

ck1

looks good bull, how the doors turn out when they stripped them? or are they done yet? as straight and clean as mine was I was depressed with how much hidden rust and damage was in mine, your looks a little worse then mine but still fairly solid, well worth the effort.............
CJK

six-tee-nine

nice work.....

By the way, so many Chargers stnading around there......Nothing for sale.....just kiddin ;D
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Charger_Fan

Looks like they're going like gangbusters! :boogie:
I trust they won't push it outside until you get your next payment to them, right? :-\ (I hate money)

This pic brings up a question I've always had about mine. From what I can tell by feeling around in there, mine seems to have about the same type of rust in that little recessed area under the dutchman panel.
It's as if they hardly sprayed on any rust inhibitor of any kind at the factory...the damned thing almost looks like bare metal! :ahum:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bull

Quote from: ck1 on February 15, 2006, 01:51:12 PM
looks good bull, how the doors turn out when they stripped them? or are they done yet? as straight and clean as mine was I was depressed with how much hidden rust and damage was in mine, your looks a little worse then mine but still fairly solid, well worth the effort.............

The doors were ok, luckily. There was one small rust hole in one that they were able to weld up without a patch.

firefighter3931

Nice progress Curtis  :icon_smile_big: I see yours was the same color as mine originally, judging by the color on the floorpans. What color is it going to be ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

derailed

Looks like there moving right along on your car Bull and lots of progress. Good to see. Is that a Saturn Yellow 70 GSX in the other Bay next to it?

bull

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 16, 2006, 12:10:36 AM
Nice progress Curtis  :icon_smile_big: I see yours was the same color as mine originally, judging by the color on the floorpans. What color is it going to be ?

Ron

Original color was TT-1 green. I'm still thiking of going with black because if I painted it green I'd still want a black Charger. :P

Quote from: derailed on February 16, 2006, 12:15:04 AM
Looks like there moving right along on your car Bull and lots of progress. Good to see. Is that a Saturn Yellow 70 GSX in the other Bay next to it?

I'm not sure what that thing is. You might be right.

bull

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on February 15, 2006, 06:41:26 AM
Bull, makesure before they weld on the quarter on your 68, they cover that quarter glass pretty good or else it will be full of glass pitting from the splash weld put out from the mig welder. Your body guy probably knows that. It's just something that can be easily be overlooked. Nice progress! :2thumbs:

Thanks for the tip. I think they'll just roll the window up to protect it but I'm not sure. They seem to know what they're doing.