News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does the 73's always have problems starting with the Thermoquad choke?

Started by WH23G3G, January 27, 2013, 10:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

Well on my 73 400 I got my timing set close to 7.5 degrees, it's more like 7 degrees and it's idling about 800RPM. But it's a hell of a time to start it up after a few days of sitting. It's got a restored correct 6321S Thermoquad but it took awhile to get it started. It's almost like the choke plate on the carb was too good. It doesn't have anymore play since it's been restored. Once it finally did start and I held the accelerator down for a minute or two it stayed running, no problem. I idled it for about 15-20 mins to see if my overheating problem still exsists but it never got hot enough. It was like 50 outside. Did these cars start this difficult back in 73? Everything's new, the motor is rebuilt, but I mean it shouldn't be far off from what it was new. You definitely couldn't get in fire it up and go in this car. After you shut it off and then want to start it right back up, it doesn't have any problem. So I know it's the choke. I have a new choke thermostat and heater switch too. Does everyone who runs a Thermoquad have this problem too in mild or cold weather? Anything you can do to make it fire up easier besides converting to EFI?

Sublime/Sixpack

I ran two different Thermoquad carbs in the past with good results, one on a 440, and one on a 360.
If in good working order and set up properly they are very good carbs.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

ODZKing

I just had my 6321s rebuilt.  Engine isn't in the car yet but I am going to keep an eye on this thread.   :popcrn:
I have a similar issue with my AFB on my 67 however.  Seems like the fuel drains back and until it gets back to the carb it just cranks. After about 30 seconds though it starts right up with no issues.  Only after it sits!!
I've just gotten used to it. 

Nacho-RT74

I adjusted my carb I think allmost perfect :shruggy: since I just need to mild press the gas to get the choke plate in, and then starts up fine at around 1000 Rpms, and increasing slowly up to 1800 as soon is getting warm in maybe 4 to 6 minutes. Quite often I give some pedal after 2 minutes to get the RPMs a little bit down, to the lower section of fast iddle cam, getting 1500 RPMs when warm, before totally release the cam

HOWEVER SOMETIMES, If I full press pedal on the first start up, it gets totally choked, and makes it hard to start. Have to give full thottle to allow more air... starts up with some misfire due the choke untill gets nice...

BUT is true... if I don't start up the engine in 3 or 4 days, it makes a little bit harder to start, and need to make it  tricky to not choke it accidentally.

My timming is set at around 14º
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

WH23G3G

Ok after setting the timing to 7.5 degrees and idle at about 750-800rpm I took it around the neighborhood mostly to see if it's going to overheat. Well it's about 50 outside and my neighborhood is a little over a mile around. So it never overheated but seems to run the same as before the carb was rebuilt and the timing adjusted. After you initially get it started and let it warm up enough so that it won't stall idling it still stalls as soon as you put it in drive. Reverse is worse. Then when we drove 1st to 2nd is normal but then 2nd to 3rd it surges before it shifts, but it doesn't shift hard it just kinda surges before it shifts. It's a 727, I bought a reman with new converter when we put in the engine about 4 years ago. So I don't know if it's still timing related or I built the engine wrong but it definitely doesn't run the way it should. It still drives but it never overheated the two times we took it around. But when I finally got it backed in the garage and let it sit there and idle for about 5 more minutes it started to creep up a little passed the middle. I didn't know if it was going to peg the needle but I shut it off anyway. Anyways I want to take it to a shop to see if they can do any adjustments and see if they can get it running the way it should. I know of one Mopar guy around here. I know it's hard to estimate this kind of situation, but if the best case scenario where it just needs carb adjustment, and timing adjusted, and maybe a linkage adjustment what's a reasonable amount? I'm going to hope it's no more than $500 but if it needs a new transmission I can understand that. Should I just take it to any shop or should I ask if they ever work on old Mopars?