News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original Batmobile

Started by twodko, January 20, 2013, 01:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

Quote' I might be the only one who wants to see it restored back to the Lincoln Futura. '

You and me both Aero.  2thumbs
I believe it would worth even worth more...being one of the few original Ghia built concept cars still in existance

Worth more as the Futura than the Batmobile?       Umm . . . no.  The Futura was a valuable car but it's not touching the original Batmobile at $4 million.  IMHO the loss of that Batmobile would be a greater crime than keeping the Futura hidden from view underneath it.  

It's not my favorite Batmobile but that thing is iconic.  It's probably the single biggest reason most people think of Batman even having a car today.  Batman's car had not been featured as prominently in the comics until the TV show.

Ghoste

Simple math there, how many have heard of the batmobile and how many have heard of the Futura?  I would bet 85% in North America think of the Futura as an ugly square car Ford built in the late 70's and early 80's.

DonC1

The Futura ' is '  a valuable car ....much more than a car - it's a ' concept car '.
by GHIA of Italy. Historical significance multiplied.

Ghoste

I agree that it has some historical significance but it spent a single year on the show car circuit where it was likely seen by tens of thousands of people who forgot all about it a week after they saw it.  The Batmobile was seen by millions and remained an icon of American pop culture for decades.  Which version do you think is more popular?  (because that is the one that is going to bring more money in my opinion)

The70RT

It started out as a 1966 Lincoln Futura. Here's some good links, be sure to go to the bottom of page to go to the next page(s)  http://www.1966batmobile.com/background.htm

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A383Wing

if the guy that bought it has all this money to burn....wonder if he will make all the crime fighting options on the car functional?

like the rocket launchers....tire cutting center Bat-caps

Bryan

model maker

If he does, i hope he  gets in it & goes after all of the flippers who scam people
MODEL MAKER

DC_1

$4.6M isn't a lot for Bruce Wayne, I bet he bought it!

Cooter

A friend of a friend was at the show standing with that thing when it went through the roof. He said once it hit over 2 Mil; He gave up.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

The70RT

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on January 27, 2013, 08:19:31 AM
$4.6M isn't a lot for Bruce Wayne, I bet he bought it!

A car collector Rick Champagne from Auwatukee, Arizona bought the car.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BrianShaughnessy

Well it's a lot of $$$$ but for guys my age it's the ONLY Batmobile to have.   The first bunch of movie cars were stupid...  and the tumbler is only slightly less stupid even if they were more intriguing movies.

Quoteits the car right? chicks love the car
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

DC_1

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 27, 2013, 12:28:16 PM
Well it's a lot of $$$$ but for guys my age it's the ONLY Batmobile to have.   The first bunch of movie cars were stupid...  and the tumbler is only slightly less stupid even if they were more intriguing movies.

I agree. The original is the ultimate and Tumbler was just ok. The others were a joke in my opinion and looked like they belonged to Cruella Dev Il from 101 Dalmations ......Instead of making the car something that became a character of its own it looked more like something from the 30s. A big, long, heavy, curvey, slug. The original looked like it could kick the others asses. IMO

resq302

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 27, 2013, 12:28:16 PM

I have to agree.  The original batmobile from Adam West period is the ONLY batmobile as far as I'm concerned. :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mike DC

I was always kinda surprised that the Futura version worked as well as it did in the '60s because it looked decidedly '50s to my eyes.  A wealthy/cool man did not want to be seen in a 10yo car in that era. 

The Futura version of the car had a good balance of style and function.  I didn't even like the style that much but it was there in the right dosage.  The following '89 car and Tumbler were extremes.    

IMHO the ideal Batmobile has yet to be made.  

DC_1

Quote from: DonC1 on January 27, 2013, 02:59:09 PM
:2thumbs:

here's my latest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJj7tan86Nw

Show off!!!......seriously though, you are an incredible craftsman. The detail and fit and finish is amazing.

I would love to see how yours compares side by side with he original that just sold.