News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need opinions on a couple of interior issues I'm dealing with now

Started by bull, January 26, 2013, 11:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've got a couple of 'what would you do' questions.

First, I've repaired the rear crack in my original console shell only to continue having some issues with it. It's old and so I'm finding that it will crack here and there as I work it into place and add parts to it. Also, the space where the shifter comes through and the top plate bolts down has kind of warped inward to the point it's leaving a gap on the left side where the hump is. Do you think it's worth it to try saving this thing or should I save up for a new one? I can probably Jerry rig something to push and hold the sides out but I'm concerned about more cracking. The plastic is old and brittle but might still last a while. And I don't have much moolah for a new shell right now.

Second, the rear carpet is a POS. It's wrinkled in several spots, doesn't seem to be molded right and it looks like it will barely reach the correct spot on the driver's side sill and kick plate. I've read some things about crappy carpet on this site so I'm wondering if I should bother getting a new one. Which then leads me to the 2nd part of the question, do they even sell rear section carpet pieces alone?

bull

Oh, and before anyone tells me to throw the carpet out in the sun to straighten it out, I live in Portland, Oregon. We don't have sun here.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

johnnycharger

for the carpet I would go to harbor freight and pick up a heat gun and try that on wrinkles, obviously without melting the carpet

Ghoste

After coming this far and waiting this long I would spring for a repro console if I were you.  I would try the heat on the existing carpet before getting a new piece but I would be prepared to replace it also.

b5blue

X2 the H.F. heat gun. (Want a coupon for sale price or 20% off let me know.) The gun really puts out the heat, you could warm a large area quickly. Before dropping 250 I'd epoxy reinforce and repair just because I'm cheap and there is so much else to finish. (Fairly easy to change out later after the car is done.)  :Twocents: 

bull

I tend to agree with you on the console. Not 100% but there is still some value to it. Another idea is to buy a new one and sell the old one. Maybe I could get $100 or so for it. :shruggy:

Regarding the carpet, I do own a heat gun and did try that but it didn't seem to help a whole lot. The main issue with the carpet is that it was purchased by the car's previous owner and so it sat for years folded/jammed in a box. For whatever reason the front section looks ok but the rear is not so ok. I wonder if the carpets made today might be a little better fit and quality too.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Ghoste on January 27, 2013, 06:32:21 AM
After coming this far and waiting this long I would spring for a repro console if I were you.  I would try the heat on the existing carpet before getting a new piece but I would be prepared to replace it also.

X2

Could you try to exchange the carpet ? Most retailers. Will try to make it right.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 27, 2013, 08:43:38 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on January 27, 2013, 06:32:21 AM

X2

Could you try to exchange the carpet ? Most retailers. Will try to make it right.

Maybe. I believe he got it from Year One but it sat in his garage for probably 3 years before I bought it. I'm guessing it's about 12 years old.

Ghoste

A bunch of heat lamps on what qualifies as a sunny day in the Pacific Northwest? :shruggy:

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on January 27, 2013, 06:44:09 PM
A bunch of heat lamps on what qualifies as a sunny day in the Pacific Northwest? :shruggy:

Given the cost of heat lamps and electricity to do that it might be cheaper to mail it to one of the brothers I know in Phoenix or Vegas. :D

Ghoste

I don't know. :shruggy:  The actual solution I want to give is to buy a new one but I know the idea here is to not spend all of Curtis' money.  I'll ask the upholstery guys at work today.

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on January 28, 2013, 06:23:35 AM
I don't know. :shruggy:  The actual solution I want to give is to buy a new one but I know the idea here is to not spend all of Curtis' money.  I'll ask the upholstery guys at work today.

Well, the more I read above and think about it the more I believe I'll probably be getting a new carpet and a new console both. Carpet kits aren't all that spendy but the consoles seem a bit high. I'm no pricing expert, as the producers and vendors have pointed out to me on more than one occasion, but for what you get it seems they should be under the $200 mark.

bill440rt

Quote from: bull on January 27, 2013, 08:29:55 AM
I tend to agree with you on the console. Not 100% but there is still some value to it. Another idea is to buy a new one and sell the old one. Maybe I could get $100 or so for it. :shruggy:

Regarding the carpet, I do own a heat gun and did try that but it didn't seem to help a whole lot. The main issue with the carpet is that it was purchased by the car's previous owner and so it sat for years folded/jammed in a box. For whatever reason the front section looks ok but the rear is not so ok. I wonder if the carpets made today might be a little better fit and quality too.

:iagree:  x2

Buy new, sell the old to re-coup some back. Surely there is someone out there building a "driver" type car that would want that stuff. Your car is coming out great Curtis.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Just 6T9 CHGR

I think a season out in the sun (higher temps) might help the rear carpet.  The console is up to you.  i too have the rear crack in mine...been that way for 16 years that I've owned it ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dino

I would try to save the console, nothing to lose.  Fix the cracks, fix the warp and coat the inside with fiberglass. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bull

I tried getting rid of the warpage with the heat gun (set it in place and heated it and then let it cool for hours) but it didn't help. Tried it 2-3 times. I think the only thing that might work is to epoxy a piece of rigid plastic across the span that's bowed in.

bull

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on January 29, 2013, 04:48:53 PM
The console is up to you.  i too have the rear crack in mine...been that way for 16 years that I've owned it ;)

Oh yea? I'll sell you one that's been nicely repaired in that spot. :D

Dino

Quote from: bull on January 29, 2013, 06:44:25 PM
I tried getting rid of the warpage with the heat gun (set it in place and heated it and then let it cool for hours) but it didn't help. Tried it 2-3 times. I think the only thing that might work is to epoxy a piece of rigid plastic across the span that's bowed in.

Some sort of framework may indeed be needed but now you're doing some serious work to it.  If you want to fix a warp then after heating and putting it back in place you need to cool it down rapidly as in dumping ice water over it.  That'll make the plastic set right away.  Still not easy to do with the brittle plastic though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bull