News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are mustangs...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, January 23, 2013, 04:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

this cheap vs a charger?  Wow this is great condition car (on the pics) and asking only 6800 bucks a charger in this condition would ask for 15k to 20k (2nd gen)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/3561897968.html

Cooter

Try looking up a Fastback version of same car, and I think you'll see a whole lotta difference.

1967-68 Mustang Coupe? Can't give 'em away....1967-68 Fastback? Can't find 'em for that price, unless you wanna replace everything.

Comparing the Coupe Mustang to a Charger is bout the same as comparing a Toyota Cressida to a Supra.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

The 67-68 fastback is the only one I'd ever want, they made so many of the others that they can't price them too high because his neighbor probably has one as well.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

HPP

Don't forget that they made something like half to three quarters of a million Mustangs every year their first decade of existance. Even Chargers pale in numbers compared to that.

Troy

They made about 300,000 coupes and convertibles each year through 1970. They're generally dirt cheap even in very nice condition. For example, I have passed on near show quality 66 coupes for $6-8k. As mentioned, try finding a fastback version. Some of the small blocks sell for more than Charger R/Ts. A big block GT project (especially a 67-68) will be in the mid-teens.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

boss429kiwi

In most cases, when it comes to values, production numbes are meaningless, unless the vehicle is both collectable and rare (I once owned rare Cortina!).
I always hear at car shows "there are many Mustangs here, they are so common, who would want one".
They are common because these people wanted to own a mustang and there are just as many people lining up to buy them.
It seems the average person wants a classic Mustang sitting in their driveway. That makes them "collectable", that makes them "valuable".

I just purchase a 1957 Chevy truck and there was 345000 made. Try and find a good "1957 big back window chev truck" at a reasonable price!

Its as simple as this, we all have different taste and we should never "bag" anothers passion.
If we all had the same taste, my wife would be in hiding  :icon_smile_cool:     
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

Troy

Yes, Mustangs are popular but there are a LOT of coupes and convertibles for sale. Many are six cylinder or base V8 cars. People like Camaros too and there are a LOT of them as well. My point about the production numbers is that they made, five times as many Mustangs and about the same number of Camaros as they did Chargers in their best year of production. Other years they far outpaced Charger production. Since they were "collectable" since the beginning a lot more have survived. Therefore, if the market is full of them then the price will be lower than a car that isn't available everywhere. Now, certain Mustangs are rare(r) than others and also happen to be popular which really bumps up the price. Just about any 68 fastback will bring good money. A 68 fastback with a big block will bring more. A 68 GT with a 428 or anything that says Shelby on it will bring a lot more. In these last cases the rarity is what is driving the price. Oddly enough, some of the rarest Mustangs were actually produced in higher volume than mid-level Chargers. Not much of anything Mustang related was produced in numbers as low as Hemi cars - yet some are worth more. That's demand. More Mustang buyers.

I hear people (especially here) whining all the time about seeing so many Mustangs at shows yet, when I take my 70 Mach 1, I'm usually the only fastback there. The last show I took my 70 Challenger to I was the third to arrive. I don't recall ever being at another small show with another 68 Charger. It goes to show that certain cars are harder to come by - whether it's rarity or price. Other cars are fairly common - and relatively cheap because of it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

Better yet, try finding a Fastback '67-'68 that isn't black and gray striped....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BBKNARF

Prices on interior and exterior parts on 1970 and up are allmost twice as much then 67-69
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Rolling_Thunder

I know where that car is sitting...     It's about 2 blocks from me    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 25, 2013, 12:29:34 AM
I know where that car is sitting...     It's about 2 blocks from me    :2thumbs:

no details...just that its two blocks from ya  :icon_smile_big:

Rolling_Thunder

it's a Ford...      I have seen it around - not impressive in any real way.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

aussiemuscle

Quote from: boss429kiwi on January 23, 2013, 03:56:05 PM
In most cases, when it comes to values, production numbes are meaningless
yes, because it's supply AND demand that determines the price.

A383Wing

If I was to ever own a Mustang, it would be the 65-66 fastback style...those are hard to find

Bryan